Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ready Player One ?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

first info i've seen regarding Landmark combat

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/soe-on-why-eqn-landmark-is-its-real-next-big-thing/

RPS: Whereas in EQN: Landmark, you’re basically multi-classing, right?

Georgeson: It’s kind of like multi-classing lite. Whereas in EQN, you’d go out and find those classes, then settle on abilities you want. In Landmark, what you’re really doing is sticking with the same class and allowing you to craft different weapons that bring different abilities to your hotbar when you use them.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

To me it sounds it can soon become ultimate sandbox , overshadowing EQN and really becoming new standard.

Really like first step towards MMO like one in "ready player one" sans virtual reality obviously.

But note that since its so open - not constricted by a theme , SOE plans to add features on the fly.

So in next years we could really see it evolve far beyond EQN.

And DM tools ... wow

We didnt see this since the times of NWN1 !

Exciting.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

So, we've forgot about EQN and all our hopes are into Landmark being everything for everyone...

And all for free! For it's free-2-play, isn't it?

So we have throngs of developers developing new features and throwing it at us... for free! Paid by the goodness of SOE's heart! Well, by that and by a new Crystal-Diamond Pickaxe you can only buy in cash shop!

Or may be all those glorious ideas (which demand a large amount of developers' work to be implemented) will meet real life in head-on collision...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Grahor

So, we've forgot about EQN and all our hopes are into Landmark being everything for everyone...

So we have throngs of developers developing new features and throwing it at us... for free! Paid by the goodness of SOE's heart! Well, by that and by a new Crystal-Diamond Pickaxe you can only buy in cash shop!

Or may be all those glorious ideas (which demand a large amount of developers' work to be implemented) will meet real life in head-on collision...

No, no, no !

Have you learned nothing from the last few years of F2P hype ?

All the development costs are paid for by the Gaming Fairies (a.k.a. "whales"), so that the rest of us can play entirely for FREE !

Remember, you don't need that Crystal-Diamond Pickaxe, you can play the game perfectly well without it...

Yes free.

Free 2 Play. Means you are free to play.

Is everything in the game free , no.

BTW SOE will take 60% from revenues made by player creations.

Probably sell convinience and cosmetics too.

You will still be able to craft that diamond pick. Or just buy it.

Whats wrong with that ?

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

All the development costs are paid for by the Gaming Fairies (a.k.a. "whales"), so that the rest of us can play entirely for FREE !

Remember, you don't need that Crystal-Diamond Pickaxe, you can play the game perfectly well without it...

Imagine 2 kinds of amusement parks:

1. You pay a lot of money (worth 100 rides) for entry ticket. But once you are in you can ride whatever you want. ( except that you need to be 24 hours there in order to ride 100 times + )
    2. Entry is free. Good rides cost money. Crappy rides dont.

So what is better ?

If you have 24 hours , than NO1 is clearly better for you.
    But if you dont you are basically paying for 100 rides while enjoying just 10. How's that good ?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQNL has become my most favored game I'm looking forward to

I recognize EQNL may fall flat - I'm expecting an adult version of Free Realms but better

I didn't think Free Realms was all that bad

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Do you think this is the direction EQNL is heading towards ?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-is-gurps-for-mmos/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/soe-on-why-eqn-landmark-is-its-real-next-big-thing/#comment-1383542

Cause it was about damn time ...

No. Truth is nether is the technology as far as it have to be to make something like that world wide and with EQN graphic standard.. nor will it have the social media and/or real life interactivity of Ready Player One.

Will it be a tiny step in that direction? Maybe.. shared worlds with different themes? Yeap to some extent most probably.

But finally it will be a Minecraft++ kind of MMO minus the Mods. Another important expansion for Landmark would be indeed the possiblity for Mods, for private hosted servers and even more if those private hosted servers could  be connected with the offical servers. But i somewhat doubt that that will happen.

But nevertheless a Minecraft MMO is a good step in the right direction anyway.

Edit/PS: Otherland would be a better comparsion.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Well this will definitely separate it from EQN itself.

I'm suddenly more interested in EQN Landmark than EQN. Neverwinter Nights anyone?

One of features of "Oasis" was user created content. In fact most of the worlds there were user created, including user created rules and enemies.

Judging from above articles, EQNL is indeed moving in this direction.

In inevitable comparison with Second Life. I would say it would be same as if Second Life would have ability to add NPCs and gameplay rules.

At least I hope.

And yes.

Dungeon master mode. Not seen since NWN1

That will be awesome.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

No, no, no !

Don't forget Sony is in financial problems right now, so ofc this division of theirs will bring everything for free without restrictions.  ^^

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by Grahor So, we've forgot about EQN and all our hopes are into Landmark being everything for everyone...   And all for free! For it's free-2-play, isn't it?   So we have throngs of developers developing new features and throwing it at us... for free! Paid by the goodness of SOE's heart! Well, by that and by a new Crystal-Diamond Pickaxe you can only buy in cash shop!   Or may be all those glorious ideas (which demand a large amount of developers' work to be implemented) will meet real life in head-on collision...
    Yes free.

Free 2 Play. Means you are free to play.

Is everything in the game free , no.

BTW SOE will take 60% from revenues made by player creations.

Probably sell convinience and cosmetics too.

You will still be able to craft that diamond pick. Or just buy it.

Whats wrong with that ?

And very limited also or did you miss that part?.. Most gamers will eventually be lured and seduced to the money part of this whole EQN project seems you don't see this, rich will win over poor devide it into two camps.

Welcome to 2013 where money counts and rest can s.. there d...

But goahead demise of whole genre already downhill for years EQN just bring it faster to bottom where only money counts(poor play landmark rest EQN).

Time when games was for fun and relaxation and no money involved long gone sadly:(

To each his own offcorse seems these days most want this well good luck im off to solo gaming where im not bothered with crazy hyper active money grabbing...

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Well this will definitely separate it from EQN itself.

I'm suddenly more interested in EQN Landmark than EQN. Neverwinter Nights anyone?

Im a bit weirded by this whole thing at the minute, from the get go EQNL was always going to be a complement to the main game, and I was hoping that the crossover would empower one or the other, and it seems from the interviews that Landmark is where all of the sandbox magic is going to happen, and now they are saying there will be pvp, quests and pretty much everything you expect from an MMO, so I dont know what to think really.

On that interview with RPS where they ask about people being disappointed with EQN over landmark I think that is something that from the reports is looking like it will be a reality, we obviously know very little about the crossover and even most of the features in EQN but I hope they have a good plan to make it as good as landmark but with a more limited ruleset and a very good structured world "story", and a really clever way of providing a crossover between the two.

My gut tells me that what will probably end up happening, and since they have emphasized free movement between servers and areas is that going into the "main game" is probably just gonna be a matter of going through some portal or something and you end up in this more traditional mmo environment with some of the properties from EQNL being shared.