Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uhm Wurm Online is already out !

2»

Comments

• SteveDestinySteveDestiny Member Posts: 1

I can tell you what is wrong with wurm online.

Week 1: Joined a settlement. Made tools. Built a house. Now what do I do?

Week 2:  I ask mayor if I can start building a castle for the settlement or some other structure. He said no: he didn't want to expand anymore. Now what? I scout out a vacant plot not far off and secretly build a small fort to stash my stuff. Started a mine for mats. Terraformed and carved the spots I wanted to build on.

Week 3: I leave settlement. Deed my plot. Build a house. Build a farm. Fence my plot. Obtained some horses. Everything is done. Now what?

Week 4: Built a boat. Now what? Farmed the fields. Sigh. Burnt out on grinding, but everything is done. Now what?

I've been playing nearly a month. The only fun in this game to be had is surviving just long enough to establish a homestead. Once that has been done there is no motivating factor to go on. The grinding is tedious and boring. Combat stinks. I still cant kill a mountain lion and training is snore bore times four. Was fun for awhile. Everyone is raving about the recent graphics update for wurm: think Dark Age of Camelot on dope. I think not. My best bet to find more fun with wurm? Abandon my settlement and build a new one from scratch....but that will cost money and take a lot more time. Then what? Some wurm veterans suggest beating the burnout by going for a sail along the coast. Travel time is atrocious. I sailed 15 minutes north and south of my settlement. Overpopulated. Build inland? I'd never survive the journey and going back for my boat and body would be too frustrating.

Could have played on PvP server....as if worrying about wildlife was not difficult enough. Sigh.

Hopefully Life is Feudal will learn from wurm, implement what was fun about it, and expand upon what was not so fun about wurm. My main concern with LiF so far is that it appears the buildable structures are prefab designs. The great thing about wurm was being able to layout the floor plan of the structure you want to build. What would be great with LiF is buildable structures with a lot more customization ability than wurm has.

• migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    After 8 years,  someone finally decides to take the wurm online idea and make it with another , better engine,  I'm super happy about this
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

See my other post - most games like this have been horrible.  Wurm has managed because it has relatively few players and not a whole lot else going on in it.  Add player-combat, survival, terraforming and everything else a full-scale MMO has together and you get a disaster when more than 20 people start trying to connect.

Xsyon, I think is the last game that tried this and.... *shudder*... disconnects, lag from hell, server de-synch, terrain glitches, you name it!

I don't think people are aware of the massive calculations required when a plot of land shifts from a height of 1 to 2.5 every few seconds when someone decides to build a pile of dirt - gamers and developers alike.  Wurm is relatively primitive by most standards.  Try adding things like dynamic lighting and updated graphics and the processing power increases ten-fold.  Then multiply that by the number of clients connected.....

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Lerxst

See my other post - most games like this have been horrible.  Wurm has managed because it has relatively few players and not a whole lot else going on in it.  Add player-combat, survival, terraforming and everything else a full-scale MMO has together and you get a disaster when more than 20 people start trying to connect.

Xsyon, I think is the last game that tried this and.... *shudder*... disconnects, lag from hell, server de-synch, terrain glitches, you name it!

I don't think people are aware of the massive calculations required when a plot of land shifts from a height of 1 to 2.5 every few seconds when someone decides to build a pile of dirt - gamers and developers alike.  Wurm is relatively primitive by most standards.  Try adding things like dynamic lighting and updated graphics and the processing power increases ten-fold.  Then multiply that by the number of clients connected.....

Xsyon has this at release.... Not much after, I love when people spout trash that is not true.. If some of you dislike new games why post???  Go play wurm... Do I go on Wurms post and whine how much I hate it??? No.. So if you don't like what this company is  doing then go away..

Are you afraid they may do it better?? Nothing wrong with any company doing the same things, movies do it and so have games, WOW has copied so many MMO's and look how well they did?

• ReskalReskal Member UncommonPosts: 57

Wurm is not that bad from playing, but after a while it gets frustrating and empty.

Really worse is the community. A few nice and normal guys there, but very most are television-manipulated housewifes and leftwing radical students.

Be nice and never hurt their ideology. NO SEXISM, RACISM, ANTISEMITISM ! Means translated: speak and think as we do, if not you lose your account(s), no matter how long you played and payed.

Dangerous for normal people with a sane mind to play Wurm Online.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

oh this is embarrassing.... seeing Wurm Online Players talking up Wurm in a Forum section devoted to Life Is Feudal...

/facepalm

Life Is Feudal fans... you have my apologies (for what it's worth) for the Bad Form we WO devotees have displayed.

I wish Life Is Feudal the best.

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

Playing Wurm Online is nearly as bad as playing UO or other 90's looking games with terrible engines.

Feudal looks great and has far more freedom than Wurm.

Worm died after Darkfall came out.

The two games are totally different - different decades that is!
    Wurm Online .... LOL @ people who play old crape like that.

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    LIF looks a whole lot like Roma Victor.
  • KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

The Problem with Wurm is that after you put down a deed, built a house, a farm and a boat you pretty much paying premium to have your stuff not deleted from the server. There is nothing else to do in the game other than grind some skill which in 90% of the cases does not give you any new recipes or stuff to build. 

----

The initial finding a nice spot and then building a deed part is great but after that you are pretty much paying them not to delete your stuff.

----

If you could be a nomad, move around and build settlements stay for a while then move on it would be a great game. The problem with this play-style however are the huge costs for creating a new deed every time you move.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Wow so much... ignorance...

Wurm is a game with many years behind it, very mature, very polished. Yes its crappy looking graphics, but if you are into graphics alone you should play Destiny instead. Its gameplay is more mature than some aaa titles out there.

Wurm is about playing with others, making communities, starting joint projects, achieving things, bulding, making, conquering (on pvp). LIf has yet to become any of those things, the concept is good but its nothing more than alpha limited version now with not even 10% of promised features in.

Oh and wurm has rce (real cash economy) implemented. A veteran can sell his char for 500€ with ease and move along. Those who ignore rce ignore a big part of what Wurm is.

Also community is one of the most mature ones on this planet. Age and behaviour wise. Its not a game for kids, nor will Lif also be. Its also not griefer friendly as Eve for example.

GL Lif... now lets stop talking about Wurm in this forum.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    In all honesty.. Wurm Online has the worst combat I have ever seen in an MMO. That is immediately the biggest turn off towards the game.
    Wurm is most probably the deepest game right now. If LIF makes it half as much I predict it nice future.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I am a former Wurm player and I think people that love Wurm should have a little more respect for Rolf and company.

Coming here in this fashion speaks volumes about the uncertainty and fear that Life is Feudal puts into "some" of the Wurm playerbase.

Instead of wasting energy here as we have already sold over 100,000 copies of just the 64 player version alone. Your passion might be better spent on the Wurm forums communicating with the devs and motivating development.

I loved Wurm when I played it and it deserves more respect.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

I see wurm is still running off java. That's just silly. What is this, 1990? Get a real native client instead of bloatware!

Originally posted by Saxx0n

I am a former Wurm player and I think people that love Wurm should have a little more respect for Rolf and company.

Coming here in this fashion speaks volumes about the uncertainty and fear that Life is Feudal puts into "some" of the Wurm playerbase.

Instead of wasting energy here as we have already sold over 100,000 copies of just the 64 player version alone. Your passion might be better spent on the Wurm forums communicating with the devs and motivating development.

I loved Wurm when I played it and it deserves more respect.

Hmmm. Why would I, as Wurm player, be uncertain about LIF comming out? Shouldn't I rejoice if you guys have a better game? Is there a ban for loving two or more games at the same time? Indulge me, tell me what you ment by saying that?

On the other hand if you aim to attack Wurm player base you are aiming at the wrong (too small) crowd;) Your aim is Rust or something else and not Wurm. Imho.

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

I used to play wurm back in the day and recently went back around Christmas time.  A lot of the issues I had with it earlier are now gone, and if it wasn't for LIF being on sale for christmas I would still be playing it to this day.

When I left wurm, my issues were:

1. Everyone quits your village for one reason or another.  Usually that the game is too grindy and boring, but other reasons can include they want their own village, they want to go to a bigger, or smaller village, or they don't like the location.  Basically keeping people is near impossible in this game.  Eventually, everyone leaves.  So it's really hard to create a community you know and love and so boredom sets in.

2.  The combat is attrocious.  The worst combat in any game I've ever played.  This is coming from someone who played on Epic (pvp servers) for two years.  Epic came down to night raids when no one was on to loot their stuff, that was the only form of pvp there was and griefing peoples cities.

3. Everything boils down to a choir.  A game like Wurm and LIF for that matter require your attention.  Meaning, you can't play wurm one day a week or two days a week.  You have to log in most days and do your maintenance/upkeep or you lose progress.   This is extremely tedious and it gets to you after awhile.  The end game is ultimately just harvesting/planting new crops, making more charcoal, etc...  just doing the same things over and over.  

4. Big epic structures are a fun idea, but they'll make you and others quit the game.  It's really neat to dream up a big structure and fantastic to see it created in person.  However, the process of making a structure in wurm is so tedious that by the time you've completed said structure you're ready to give the game a break.

After coming back this christmas I can say that most your complaints have been fixed.  There are no gold farmers anymore (traders being abused) they got rid of that, also Xanadu the new map is so huge you will have no problem finding a location to place your city.  There are plenty of players playing still, just don't join anything other than Xanadu or the new PVP server because no one is playing anywhere else.  

Still, I don't think I'll be going back to wurm.  Frankly, it's just too expensive.  The cost of a monthly subscription and the cost of a village and it's upkeep ends up being way too much for such a poor quality game.  If there were animations and not just bars going across the screen and if wurm actually tried to make things fun I would say it would be worth it.

With that said don't let me change your mind from trying Wurm.  Wurm rates as one of the best all time newbie experiences ever.  I'm a masochistic person and I love a challenge and this game satisfied my old-man in the wilderness trying to survive fantasy like no other!   I gotten eaten by wolves, spiders, and those darn allogators that are impossible to escape...  Oh and anoconda's.   Still, for a new player experience there's so much to learn and if you like experiencing things for the first time it's a blast for the first 3 to 6 months of play!  Which is enough to justify the cost.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    If you made Wurm Online 50% faster, and gave it a better engine, I'd probably never play anything else. If LiF is like this, then I am down!

Joined - July 2004

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

does wurm online even have animations fo the characters yet ?

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Honestly you guys need to support both games because there's only FOUR games of this genre out there.  Xyson? (Shit game) Wurm Online, LiF, and that other game I can't remember the name of because it's been in development for years and is still - shit - .

It's better you support both so they can both grow... and not die.  Otherwise we will have neither :(