Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe Blizz considered the housing feature a threat?

2»

Comments

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

7 million subs is not desperate and never will be.  Is it less than they used to have?  Of course.  But its still alot more than most other MMOs.  The housing issue in WOW has been a long time request from players, but WOW obviously demonstrated that you could make a successful MMO without it....

WOW isn't going anywhere, its going to take more than Wildstar, or any other game to bring it down.  I think it's here to stay simply because it appeals to so many DIFFERENT types of players at once.  That has always been Blizzard's talent with WOW, attracting all types of players (Hardcore, Casual and everything in between).  And as long as they continue to do so, they will remain on top.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Interesting take on housing but it's too little too late for me. I had a great time in Azeroth, but that's over now. I hope the people playing like this change
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

the thing with Blizzard, is yes they take something from every where else, but you cant argue that this is by far the BEST housing system that will be on the market.  Its so in depth.  I havent played WOW since LK and will be returning just for this feature, not because I wanna play WOW but this housing mini-game sounds so incredible

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Seems they are taking a little bit out of every mmo on the horizon.  I honestly think thats the only play they have right now.

havent they done that since the begining of time? And done it much better and more polished than the others too. But The upcoming mmos are still.....upcoming, so we dont know how polished and how good they are doing it.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

My problem is that Blizzard wont implement them for their customers no mater how much they ask.

But they will implement them because of the competition.

That to me shows poor company to customer connections. Not to mention poor innovation.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

We are finally reaching the pinnacle of the shit-pile where the game plays itself. NPCs craft for you, mine for you, run dungeons for you, find epic loot for you. What a load of bollocks!

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Seems they are taking a little bit out of every mmo on the horizon.  I honestly think thats the only play they have right now.

havent they done that since the begining of time? And done it much better and more polished than the others too. But The upcoming mmos are still.....upcoming, so we dont know how polished and how good they are doing it.

Nothing about WoW is polished or better. It's a dreadful, ugly abomination of an mmo since its first release. You seriously telling me that the crafting is better and more polished or the raiding is better and more polished than in ANY other MMO? (just to name a few things)

Are you for real?

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Wow has been considering housing since beta. It was actually in beta. Maybe that pushed it along with FF14, but housing in WoW has been a very old idea.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by azarhal
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

There's been a lot of interest in it recently, which is why for the past year or so a lot of MMOs have been adding some form of player owned space to their game. If Blizzard is announcing something now, it's because they've been working on it for far longer, so I doubt it's because they felt threatened by any particular game.

Housing was a major part of MMOs before WoW released. It was the first major one to release without it or any plan to implement the feature. In fact, WoW is the reason why housing almost disappear from MMOs in the West (i.e it's not in WoW we don't need it).

It has been requested by WoW players for 10 years by now and only after losing subs months after months they decided to add it. The whole thing smell of desperation. Especially, once you look at Blizz WoW dev quotes on housing. Like this one from 2010: Tom Chilton declared that "housing will be introduced to World of Warcraft some time right after "never"."

The WoW forum has other such quotes (with references).

They are not adding housing because of losing subs.  People play MMOs for almost every reason except for housing.  Housing is a niche group since numerous MMOs never had housing or where a limited form of it.  If housing was a big deal then people were playing minecraft.  Housing is a fluff feature and by no means a major attraction for WoW.  Nice time killer or side project but people play WoW for the PvP or PvE aspects of the game.

Housing is a nice feature but certainly not something they need to halt everything else in order to incorperate it.  Have they long be working on this as it is a popular fluff item?  Who knows.  Blizz seems more like they are giving WoW a facelift which it likely needs desperately.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Good for blizz, sounds like they are catching up and might even have it in there new mmo that is never coming out.

the thing with Blizzard is they take ideas and perfect them and make them better.

The Garrison is the best housing thing I have ever heard of or seen, being able to recruit NPC's to your city, having them work for you, all awesome.  Its actually bring more Warcraft to WOW which is a great thing, I love the micro managing, and plot building of the old Warcrafts and Age of Empires

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

the thing with Blizzard is they take ideas and perfect them and make them better.

The Garrison is the best housing thing I have ever heard of or seen, being able to recruit NPC's to your city, having them work for you, all awesome.  Its actually bring more Warcraft to WOW which is a great thing, I love the micro managing, and plot building of the old Warcrafts and Age of Empires

You might want to try STO, they provide the exact same thing with the ship crew system. You can even bring officers on missions with you.

Originally posted by azarhal

You might want to try STO, they provide the exact same thing with the ship crew system. You can even bring officers on missions with you.

I just cant get into space type games, Im a medieval/fantasy guy to heart

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

i think it's going to be a really good housing system. ActiBlizz doesn't usually put out crap. They do it until it's right.

But I'm not sure it's going to be the best, or that there can be a best system. It will be a great system for those who like a Civ or SimCity style setup, which personally appeals to me. Most importantly in needs to integrate well into all other aspects of the game or it risks being marginalized and shelved after the newness wears off.

My personal favorite system is EQ2. It offers building and designing, showcasing achievements and collectibles, and offers functional perks.  It really integrates well with all other game aspects and that is one thing I think has made it one of the hallmark systems in the genre. I think if WoW can pull that off it will be huge.

This is very true what you've stated, however there is a major difference in the housing system described in WildStar versus the one described in WoW.  With WildStar, the housing system is part of the design of the game.  It's a huge part of what is included from the start.  With WoW, the housing system will be added to a game already designed.  So while it might be a good housing system, I'd venture to say that WildStar's housing system will be better.

Everquest Next, a completely new paradigm in that it the Landmark building software to be made available to players prior to the games launch, will apparently include objects built by players.  Time will tell which will be the best housing system, but I'd put my money on one that is part of the design of the MMO rather than added afterwards.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I really just think it's all they have left.  It's been a wild ride.

They promised WoW housing in beta.  Then it got back burnered and everything combat related stepped in front of it.

I guess they're finally to the back burners.

No bitchers.

Originally posted by Prepared
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

i think it's going to be a really good housing system. ActiBlizz doesn't usually put out crap. They do it until it's right.

But I'm not sure it's going to be the best, or that there can be a best system. It will be a great system for those who like a Civ or SimCity style setup, which personally appeals to me. Most importantly in needs to integrate well into all other aspects of the game or it risks being marginalized and shelved after the newness wears off.

My personal favorite system is EQ2. It offers building and designing, showcasing achievements and collectibles, and offers functional perks.  It really integrates well with all other game aspects and that is one thing I think has made it one of the hallmark systems in the genre. I think if WoW can pull that off it will be huge.

This is very true what you've stated, however there is a major difference in the housing system described in WildStar versus the one described in WoW.  With WildStar, the housing system is part of the design of the game.  It's a huge part of what is included from the start.  With WoW, the housing system will be added to a game already designed.  So while it might be a good housing system, I'd venture to say that WildStar's housing system will be better.

Everquest Next, a completely new paradigm in that it the Landmark building software to be made available to players prior to the games launch, will apparently include objects built by players.  Time will tell which will be the best housing system, but I'd put my money on one that is part of the design of the MMO rather than added afterwards.

except Wildstars housing is basically instanced housing, not part of the world we live in.  Selling apartments stacked high in the sky doesnt count

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Kind of figured the ranch in Wow was a small part of what would be added to the game for a sort of housing. Expect it all to be heavily phased. That's just as bad as instancing to me, so no thanks.

It also seems they liked SWTOR's companion ideas too. Nothing original, nothing new, so no thanks. I'm sure as usual the expansion will boost the numbers again though.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

except Wildstars housing is basically instanced housing, not part of the world we live in.  Selling apartments stacked high in the sky doesnt count

So you think that blizzard will just let 7 million players build Garrisons all over the live world?

Originally posted by Daessar

So you think that blizzard will just let 7 million players build Garrisons all over the live world?

there's 7 million people playing on my server?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I think they saw that farms were popular in game and bit the bullet to do real housing.  People weren't going to quit WOW over housing in another game.

My problem with the expansion is that they keep moving away from the big bads.  Maybe in this one they will actually tie in with the Burning Legion again as that's where the battle needs to go.  But I was hoping for an expansion actually going to their worlds.

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51
    i finally had enough after ToT ill never go back. too little too late for me
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I doubt its got anything to do with Wildstar specifically.  With MMOs, WoW has pretty much become the odd one out without housing. They are just catching up with the times.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

They're only doing exactly what they (and nearly every other company) have always done: taking good ideas from other games and using them in their own game.  If you see a feature you think players will love, and you have the room in your current development cycle to implement it, you'd be a fool to just ignore it.  

My guess is at any given moment, every developer has a list of dozens of features on their "to develop" list, many of which are their own iterations of ideas taken from other games.  It's just a matter of which ones they prioritize, which ones they can focus on and complete within given periods of development time.