Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats PVP like in this game?

frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41

hi guys, i have played a lot of mmo's over the years and the only thing i really like to do is pvp.

i wanted to know if you can level just by doing pvp and get all the pvp gear as well.

thx

Comments

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The common consensus among the pvp community is that it is a bit lackluster. There are essentially 3 places to pvp: El Dorado (10v10v10 capture the flags), Fusang (persistent 75v75v75) and Stonehenge (5v5v5 king of the hill). Stonehenge has like 1 game played every 2 hours, so most people don't bother with it, and Fusang has a huge population imbalance, which results in one faction owning the whole map and curbstomping any attemps by the other 2. El Dorado is somewhat balanced, has the highest rewards, and is really the only playable form of pvp right now. There are also monthly duel tournaments organised by the community, which have endgame raid rewards provided by funcom.

PvP is not currently Funcom's main focus. There is a pvp issue planned in a year or so, but other than that, there's mostly only balance tweaks and bugfixes. The main fun in pvp is the theorycrafting around different builds, people constantly coming up with counters to other peoples' builds and stuff like that. If you want to get this game only for pvp, I'd say don't bother, but if you are going to do a mix of pve and pvp, it can be okay.

You can start pvping pretty much 15 minutes after starting the game, and can progress all the way to endgame without doing any pve whatsoever. That said, gear is rather important, so you'll be pretty useless for the first month or so until you can get your first set of epics. Getting the points to unlock the 500+ skills in the game is also a bit slow through pvp, but not too bad if you only want to unlock one specific build instead of going for 100% completion.

In its current state, I'd say avoid pvp in this game, but Funcom is planning on implementing matchmaking and other tweaks soon that aim to make all 3 playfields more balanced, and thus attract more people.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Really bad.

It's basicly a means for pveers to quickly grind a starter set for farming end game dungeons. If you go in fusang and actually want to pvp, be prepared to get told off for it and not keep trading to farm tokens faster.

But its buy 2 play. There's no need to have it as a one size fits all mmo, just play it for pve and play a real pvp mmo for your pvp.
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Yeah, TSW is not really a PvP game.  It is almost completely focused on PvE and story. 
  • frosty73frosty73 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    thx a lot guys for the info. i think i will keep playing rift and i'll keep an eye on TSW.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Oh the pvp isn't any worse than rifts