Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbine selling 50th level characters for $50 in HD

2»

Comments

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Are you guys complaining that they're selling lvl 50 toons, or that they cost $50?

They're obviously for people who wants to get to higher level content in an instant.

That's the truly funny part. that $50 for lvl 50 doesn't buy you access to the level 50 content.  You gotta break out wallet again for that :D

I've got nothing against it personally but woah are these people getting taken to the cleaners, considering you can ding 50 in few weeks or month of casual gameplay.  Hell crafting alone can get you 30 all by itself.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

LotRO is a good game otherwise hampered by poor, frustrating design decisions.

I come back from time to time but am always eventually driven away by the grind-centric character progression.

It's been going downhill ever since they lost  ton of players during and after Moria.  They ran out of all the founder lifetime subs money and weren't getting enough from new players.  It's just set up to produce an acceptable profit margin by producing the least content necessary.

I blame the purse string holders more than anyone.  Although they apparently made some horrendous design decisions in the next expansion.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I come back from time to time but am always eventually driven away by the grind-centric character progression.

It's been going downhill ever since they lost  ton of players during and after Moria.  They ran out of all the founder lifetime subs money and weren't getting enough from new players.  It's just set up to produce an acceptable profit margin by producing the least content necessary.

I blame the purse string holders more than anyone.  Although they apparently made some horrendous design decisions in the next expansion.

It wasn't Moria, your thinking Mirkwood, At the end of Moria they were still gaining a small amount of subs.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

doom doom doooooom  !!!!!

I fail to see where this affects anyone but the guy who buys it.

You can say Turbine made some bad choices and all, but this one doesn't look like one. It doesn't impact the game in a bad way, maybe it'll in a better one. More people getting to the end-game faster, so its easier to get a group. 

But as other said already, the price is high and if you are not subbing you'll have to buy the content anyway, not a great deal. 

I hated the F2P model at first, but as a lifer i'm getting lots and lots of "free" stuff through turbine points, i like it a bit. 

The game would die without the F2P change and those expensive goods. Its a trade-off, thats how i see it. 

Originally posted by H.Coelho

doom doom doooooom  !!!!!

I fail to see where this affects anyone but the guy who buys it.

You can say Turbine made some bad choices and all, but this one doesn't look like one. It doesn't impact the game in a bad way, maybe it'll in a better one. More people getting to the end-game faster, so its easier to get a group. 

But as other said already, the price is high and if you are not subbing you'll have to buy the content anyway, not a great deal. 

I hated the F2P model at first, but as a lifer i'm getting lots and lots of "free" stuff through turbine points, i like it a bit. 

The game would die without the F2P change and those expensive goods. Its a trade-off, thats how i see it. 

I'm not against it I don't really care, I just think it's funny that someone would actually pay $50 to auto level to 50 then pay whatever the current expansion costs are for lvl 50 content.  What is that like near $80-$100 total?

Hell you could pay me $45 to level your char and I'd even throw in supreme crafting mastery. lol

EDIT; I'm betting this one sells as well as the hobby horse

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by BMBender
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

It wasn't Moria, your thinking Mirkwood, At the end of Moria they were still gaining a small amount of subs.

From my perspective the problems really started at the end of SoA and really became evident in Moria...things just slid downhill from there. You are right that they still were gaining a small amount of subs through Moria, but Moria didn't sell nearly as well as they expected. The problem (IMO) is that rather then taking the strengths of what was really good and unique about the IP and trying to run with that, they thought they could gain a significant increase in fan base by making the game more like a generic "High Fantasy" MMO....so they started to reflect alot of those mechanisms in MoM. The daily grinds, the increased prevelence of magic, even more gear grinding, gated content, etc.

That's when the problems really started because instead of opening up a flood-gate of new customers like they foolishly expected....they got more like a trickle.....and that pushed them to panic and make even worse decisions. Letting the subscriber base languish for significant content and updates while they worked on the F2P conversion was the killer on subs for them though. Of course if players run out of interesting things to do and you give them nothing new for long periods of time you are going to lose them....that's a no brainer. But the failure really started in the decision making of what direction to take the game in when they were building MoM.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • warriorpoet7warriorpoet7 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Best part about LOTRO was always the journey to level cap ... the game's quality has only diminished when they started to make that journey quick and generic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Am I missing something here?

Yep, quite a few things... Easiest solution for it, scroll back a bit, the second post above you (my post, accidentally :) ) has a link.

Or, if you have a bit more time and prefer reading instead of watching videos, here's the forum link: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?529879-Gift-of-Valar!-Raise-your-level-to-50-with-no-effort-at-all!

Or, if you have even more time, check it in the beta for yourself.

It's coincidentally not accidentally. Not even close

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by warriorpoet7
    Best part about LOTRO was always the journey to level cap ... the game's quality has only diminished when they started to make that journey quick and generic.

But that is every mmorpg released ? Why single out LotRO. For a lot peopel who played SoA and maybe don't feel like leveling through it 10 times in a row, I think is a great idea. I can think of only one game that doesn't speed up leveling, simply becuase it has no levels, and that is Eve online.

And if ever there was a game that could really capitalize on selling progression it would be EVE online.  Some members of the community would pay hundreds if not thousands to speed up the experience rate gain.

i think I read they are now going to let you level up multiple characters on the same account, for a small fee of course.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by warriorpoet7

But that is every mmorpg released ? Why single out LotRO. For a lot peopel who played SoA and maybe don't feel like leveling through it 10 times in a row, I think is a great idea. I can think of only one game that doesn't speed up leveling, simply becuase it has no levels, and that is Eve online.

And if ever there was a game that could really capitalize on selling progression it would be EVE online.  Some members of the community would pay hundreds if not thousands to speed up the experience rate gain.

i think I read they are now going to let you level up multiple characters on the same account, for a small fee of course.

http://www.eveonline.com/odyssey/dual-character-training-dct/

It doesn't speed up leveling any. It just lets you turn on skill training on multiple characters. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre