Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW VS TERA Questions

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hello, my friend and I are looking to get back into an MMO that has both competitive PvP (ranked/rated) but also a true healer class.  We've played basically every game and are pretty sure the only 2 MMO's that have real, competitive PvP are WoW and TERA.  

Hoping that some person or people here can answer a few questions about them to help us decide!  We appreciate any answers, even if you can only answer 1 question, but please only respond if you actually know the answer (rather than speculation or what you've heard 2nd hand).  Thanks!

-WoW-

1) The last time we played (back in Cataclysm) 2v2 arena was basically broken.  Healer/DPS VS Healer/DPS often ended in a 45 minute draw, and 2v2 didn't have access to many rewards anyway.   Is this still the case?  We like 3v3 arena as well but would love if 2v2 was like Burning Crusade again.

2a) Is it still necessary to level up 2x Professions to get their bonuses for arena?  Like gemcrafter used to allow you to use a couple better gems, etc.   Not a huge deal just curious because Archaeology was insanely annoying and boring.

2b) Related to 2a above - Can you basically level and gear up entirely doing PvP?  Don't want to have to raid in order to get PvP gear or anything ridiculous like that.

-TERA-

1) Did they ever add more lower level Battlegrounds to this game?   The level grind was soooo boring in TERA, only option was to do mind-numbing quests because Dungeons gave basically no XP.   They added 1 zerg battleground I think for like level 40+ last time I looked but we didn't care for it at all.   Have they added more battlegrounds for lower levels since then?

2) How is the gear grind for rated PvP?  Can you get a full set of the best maxed out PvP gear just by doing a reasonable amount of PvP, or is it still crazy PvE grind every day for a year to be able to afford the stuff for enchanting/masterwork/etc.?  We loved the combat in TERA but the grind was one of the worst in MMO's, wondering if this changed.

Comments

• NudalusNudalus Member UncommonPosts: 24

I can answer the "low level battleground" question, played a month ago. Pretty much it scales you up to max level and you fight against people in full gear.

As for the WoW questions:

1) 2's is still broken, there's no reason to play beyond points. 3v3 is where it is at. It is NOTHING like TBC, it's usually a zerg, who can faceroll someone's squishy first. (Squishy is a clothie, or healer, or sometimes warrior)

2) Not really but if you want to be 2.4k+ yeah normally. BS/JC is the best. Archaeology has no bonuses, First Aid you need, fishing is junk same with cooking.

And yes you can level up entirely by PvPing, it's a LONG LONG grind through pvp, questing/LFD is a joke, you can level to max in a few days.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hey Nudalus thanks for the reply.   When you say "it scales you up to max level" does that mean like a level 20 in TERA can now do Battlegrounds?  And is it only the BG where you have to use cannons to knock down doors or did they add better ones for lower levels?

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

Hey Nudalus thanks for the reply.   When you say "it scales you up to max level" does that mean like a level 20 in TERA can now do Battlegrounds?  And is it only the BG where you have to use cannons to knock down doors or did they add better ones for lower levels?

You have to be lvl 30 to get in.  Level and gear are equalized, crystals and skills are not, so a 60 will have an advantage, though not crushing.

It's the same one you're thinking of, though you don't really use the cannons to knockdown doors, a player should do significantly more damage to them than the cannons.

Well TERA forums still aren't working, so anyone know about the end-game gear grind in TERA?  Back when I played last it was either hardcore PvE raid for months or pay like $1000 real money, extremely p2w to get the best stuff.   Has that changed/gotten any better?
    bump, still looking for info
  • Geist333Geist333 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by RollieJoe
    Well TERA forums still aren't working, so anyone know about the end-game gear grind in TERA?  Back when I played last it was either hardcore PvE raid for months or pay like $1000 real money, extremely p2w to get the best stuff.   Has that changed/gotten any better?

With the addition of the Dungeon Assault update on Sept 10th, end-game gear is easier to obtain. You can read about those new dungeons here: http://tera.enmasse.com/dungeon-assault#dungeons

From the link it looks like "Nightforge" is the best PvP gear you can get - but how difficult is it to get that gear, along with maxing it out enchanting/masterwork/getting the right rolls, etc. etc.

Can I PvP to earn it or does the game force you to PvE raid?  How long would it take? 

Basically, I want to do high-ELO competitive arena, but I don't want to have to hardcore PvE grind for 6+ months or pay thousands of dollars to get the gear needed for a fair match.

Daily bump for info request.   Still can't get onto TERA forums I get "this webpage cannot be displayed" when trying to log in there, even tho I can view them.

And bump, gotta be at least one person on here that plays TERA PvP.

Also accepting suggestions for how to access the TERA forums.   I can login to En Masse fine, and I can view the forums fine, but if I try to login to the forums, or login at en masse and then visit the forums I get webpage can't be displayed error.

• OmochoOmocho Member UncommonPosts: 18

WoW has never had 'real' competitive PvP...that's just a joke. It's a combination of rock-paper-scissors and primarily who has the better gear. There's 0 skill involved. Tell a noob your skill rotation, give them control of your character, and they'll do just as good as you could. That's not real PvP at all.

Tera's content really only starts at endgame, level 58-60. If you find the 'grind' in Tera boring, you need to stop playing MMOs. I'm not being mean here, Tera has one of the most lenient "grinds" of any MMO ever. You literally just follow quest chains for a couple days and bam, you're max level. You're never stuck in an area for very long and things give tons of exp. Not to mention the combat actually makes fighting things actually fun to do.

Anyway, I haven't played Tera for a while due to life making MMOing veery difficult, so unfortunately I can't answer any specific questions over the current condition of the game. But I doubt this changed, and if you want an MMO where a healer actually matters and is actually fun to play, Tera will always be your game.

Based on your first post, I doubt this suggestion will suit you, but i'll say it anyway.

If you want true, proper and fun competitive PvP, your best option would be Ragnarok Online.

I've played damn near every MMO that has ever come to be, and I have never found as satisfying PvP. It's skill based, i've seen people in crappy gear dominate PvP just because they were so damn good at their class.

Sadly not really a 2v2 kind of game since the main component for PvP is WoE, a guild vs guild capture the castle type deal. Though it does have battlegrounds, but honestly i've ignored their existence so I don't know too much about them.

Healers are also super fun to play, and you even have a few completely different options of what class you'd like to play as a healer.

The official servers are crap but there's tons of private servers on ratemyserver.net

Daily bump, still looking for useful advice/info (see: what wasn't found in Omocho's post for example)
  • zinx38zinx38 Member UncommonPosts: 3

1) No they have not added lower level battle grounds. Fastest way to grind EXP is to grind mobs, you may need some decent gear. Here is a guide http://teratoday.com/tera-guide/tera-leveling-guide It is best to grind in parties of 2, no more or less. The better healing class is Mystic and the best PvP class is Lancer imo.

2) I would say it takes me 3-5 hours a day for about 2-3 days of PvP to get one piece of PvP gear from the battle grounds. But this is not the best PvP set you can get from battlegrounds. You would have to do a bunch of nexus(raid boss) and more PvP for a better set.They do events for enchanting/masterworking gear pretty often so it is somewhat cheap and easier to get than before. Overall it is less grindy but every MMO has grinding so I'm pretty used to it. Make sure to choose Mount Tyrannas as the other servers are pratically dead. There is cross server PvP and PvE but being on the popular server means more people for open PvP. This game lacks content and game optimization, other than that I love the fact that everything is aim. I cannot play a tab target game anymore. If you need more info just ask.

Thanks Zinx, I appreciate your first post was to help me out!   Just one follow up question - I don't mind "grinding" PvP, even if it takes a couple months.  But is it possible within a non-crazy amount of time to get the best PvP gear (including masterwork/enchanted/etc.) without doing a lot of PvE raiding?   Thanks again!
    There is a way and it is to win 3v3 arenas and acquire arena points. You just need a lot of these points and to be a certain rank to purchase these pieces. They come already masterworked and at max enchantment. The set is called bloodrave if you want to google it and learn more.
    And the bloodrave gear is the best PvP gear in the game?  "Nightforge" For example isn't better?
    bump still looking for info
    Yes bloodrave is as good as "visionmaker" (Best PvP+PvE) PvP wise EXCEPT the weapon. visionmaker is the best PvP and PvE weapon because of "blacksmith's hammerstrike" bonus on it which randomly procs a stun on your enemy.  The only way you can get visionmaker is by doing PvE content. I dont think its hard to get anymore now as it was before since as I said before drop rate has increased dramatically. I would say 1-2 weeks if you can clear the PvE content which imo is hard to find a group for.