Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If only end game was better

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I only got my first class to 50 last night. Still need to complete the storyline. It seems to me that you have only run out of things to do because you spend a lot of time playing. I also notice that you both complain of there not being enough content while also complaining that you cannot burn though it faster because of weekly limits. No game will be able to fill your every waking moment with interesting fun forever. Maybe playing a second game would help.

I am not saying that you are doing it wrong or that your dilemma is not real. It is just simply an observation. You either have a lot of time to play or a lot of drive while you play, probably both. I doubt any newly launched game will ever be able to keep you busy indefinitly.

As for Rift, I don't remember them having any more to do right at launch. Experts and Greenscale. Within a month there was also River of Souls. I think the difference with Rift was the monthly update schedule. You just can't beat Trion for aggressive updating. FFXIV looks like it will be pushing a major update only once a quarter. Hopefully they will be large updates each time to make up for the slower pace. But I certainly wouldn't say that FFXIV has failed to deliver on content and things to do in the over all.

Upd:

Yes, Rift had 10 experts but they were all the leveling dungeons recycled. Definitely a good idea but not exactly the same thing as new instances that you haven't seen before. I understand that the leveling instances in FFXIV will also be given hardmodes as well. Hopefully that will be soon. I am just glad they didn't choose to delay the release until they were ready.

All die, so die well.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

So why are so many people grinding low lvl fates and grinding crafting leves in mid level towns? And why do I still get bonuses for low lvl dungeons for having someone running it for the first time?  The way everyone talks on here you would think everyone has multiple lvl 50s and are grinding this one dungeon and are just a few days from doing everything in this game.

Took a break from my lvl 40 monk to lvl a WAR and one of these days want to get a bard (played a bard in alot of mmos sooo....) and finally lvl a magic class.

But Assasins creed 4 is about to come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so.... that will put a dent in my game time for awhile.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Grailer

Been playing this for a while.

The problem is once you get 50 you farm darklight armor, then you get relic which took forever.

Then you farm mytho tomestones but you can only get 300 a week.

So end game is Running AK 8 times.

Find a company that is doing coil, but because there is lock out on coil you need to have same group doing it.

But I can't be online at the same time everyday so end game for me is getting killing Titan. Thus that's it for me done.

FFXI Vanilla relics could easily take you a year or two (unless you were a leader of multi-endgame areas and held some specific spots while trio boxing). FFXIV Vanilla relics did take quite some time, but they could have been done in a couple of months... maybe less, I quit by the time patch 1.20 rolled in.

FFXIV and the current state of relics are totally different. A hardcore player can easily get a relic in 1-2 days. A semi-hardcore player can get a relic in 3-4 days tops. A casual player should be able to get one within two weeks... wild guess on that part.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Wait, how in the world is the end game 8 AKs?  If you are looking to cap out Myth tomes, then you are probably a raider.  If you are a raider you should be in Coil.  If you think the game has no "end game" you should be able to clear Turn 4 every week.

If you could clear Turn 4 every week, you'd only have to do 4 AKs per week to cap out at 300.

Something doesn't add up.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Alamareth
    Wait, how in the world is the end game 8 AKs?  If you are looking to cap out Myth tomes, then you are probably a raider.  If you are a raider you should be in Coil.  If you think the game has no "end game" you should be able to clear Turn 4 every week.If you could clear Turn 4 every week, you'd only have to do 4 AKs per week to cap out at 300.Something doesn't add up.

This assumes a few things:

That end game consists only of progressing on a single class
    That a person who has Full DL/Relic+1 (or better) is a raider
    That all raiders run Coil
    That all raiders are in some coil FC/LS (since it's not DF and has to be done in sequence with the progressive lockouts)

There are problems with the end game right now. I love the game, but to be blind to it's faults is dangerous.

I can understand the need for the Coil lockouts right now, since it's not really supposed to even be there yet and it just serves as some artificial pacing mechanism, but I can't really understand the lack of compelling options or incentives to level alternate classes. There are a lot of features in this game that are severely underutilized (battle leves, dungeons in general, open world encounters (I can only think of 2), etc), and a few that are overly emphasized (FATEs, crafting leves, etc). The tools are mostly already all there, it just needs some rebalance and a little creativity.

Coil should be DF-able. It's an 8-man, many other 8-mans are DF-about. This will probably be possible unless the lockout restriction is removed. I imagine that probably won't happen until there's something in place to do after coil though, or possibly put something in as an alternative to Coil that gives similar-quality gear to be able to make the jump to whatever comes next.

Not that I think every event in the game should be DF-able... but it needs to be accessible, and the lack of DF combined with the restrictive lockout mechanism really serves to block the content from nearly everyone who isn't in some static group dedicated to running it. And perhaps that is the intent - to force the creation of static groups (FC/LS), and that I can understand. I'm not saying Coil needs to be accessible today. But when whatever is next comes out, there needs to be some accessible avenue for people to get to that.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Xatsh

2) Token Gear is better then actual drops (Equal to Allegan)

Question: 

How is it bad that the DKP, Valor point, or whatever you want to call it Myth tome gear is EQUAL to raid drop?

That was the intent when justice points were thought up years ago, to make it so it's like the game's version of a DKP, to have a way to force rewards upon people rather than relying solely on RNG.

I think the way FFXIV did it was genius, love it.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Alamareth
    Wait, how in the world is the end game 8 AKs?  If you are looking to cap out Myth tomes, then you are probably a raider.  If you are a raider you should be in Coil.  If you think the game has no "end game" you should be able to clear Turn 4 every week.

If you could clear Turn 4 every week, you'd only have to do 4 AKs per week to cap out at 300.

Something doesn't add up.

This assumes a few things:

That end game consists only of progressing on a single class
    That a person who has Full DL/Relic+1 (or better) is a raider
    That all raiders run Coil
    That all raiders are in some coil FC/LS (since it's not DF and has to be done in sequence with the progressive lockouts)

Are those not reasonable assumptions?  How does one consider him/herself a raider if that person doesn't attempt to clear the highest tier raid in the game?  The myth tomes are for the ilevel 90 gear.  If you wanted to craft you'd go for the Philo tomes which are obtainable from multiple places.  I ignored the fact that you can run WP well for Myths now too.

If you aren't in a FC or LS - you aren't a raider.

There are problems with the end game right now. I love the game, but to be blind to it's faults is dangerous.

Not being blind to the faults, I'm saying the OP comes off a bit clueless.

I can understand the need for the Coil lockouts right now, since it's not really supposed to even be there yet and it just serves as some artificial pacing mechanism, but I can't really understand the lack of compelling options or incentives to level alternate classes. There are a lot of features in this game that are severely underutilized (battle leves, dungeons in general, open world encounters (I can only think of 2), etc), and a few that are overly emphasized (FATEs, crafting leves, etc). The tools are mostly already all there, it just needs some rebalance and a little creativity.

If it can be cleared, it is designed to be there.  It's not a placeholder.  My group cleared Turn 4 yesterday (2 hour clear total time, including practice).  The top tier guild cleared Turn 5 this week.  The inclusion of lower content in 2.1 doesn't mean that Coil isn't a "real" end game.

Coil should be DF-able. It's an 8-man, many other 8-mans are DF-about. This will probably be possible unless the lockout restriction is removed. I imagine that probably won't happen until there's something in place to do after coil though, or possibly put something in as an alternative to Coil that gives similar-quality gear to be able to make the jump to whatever comes next.

Absolutely not.  The mechanics require high group coordination.  You just don't find that in the DF.  Yoshi will not put this onto the DF in the foreseeable future.  He specifically stated he wants people actively looking for a team to tackle that content.

Not that I think every event in the game should be DF-able... but it needs to be accessible, and the lack of DF combined with the restrictive lockout mechanism really serves to block the content from nearly everyone who isn't in some static group dedicated to running it. And perhaps that is the intent - to force the creation of static groups (FC/LS), and that I can understand. I'm not saying Coil needs to be accessible today. But when whatever is next comes out, there needs to be some accessible avenue for people to get to that.

It is accessible.  Get your relic, get in DL, and find a team.  Make it accessible next year.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I've been trying to explain this since the middle of September to people. The problem is, the MMO apologists/defenders really just do their damnedest to beat down logical, mathematical facts with their ill-informed opinions and pre-conceived notions.

When you hit 50, you farm Tomes. 300 Mythology tomes a week, capped. Your relic +1 is 900, and then there is your AF2 set whihc (I can't recall... but I wanna say is somewhere around 2000ish total?)

2900ish seals; 10 weeks.  Note, it wouldn't take 10 weeks were it not for the cap, but because of it, you can't do any more.

Let's say you're like me, and the idea of leveling another combat class in this game makes you physically sick. So you've got your level 50 class, and maybe a few lower leveled classes, and some crafts.

Now what? There isn't anything else to do for you. The problem is, people are flaming the players instead of the game, and honestly, I think this is what casuals do. Just like hardcore players cry about "carebear mechanics", casuals, and ezmode gameplay, casuals flame back by screaming "Get a life/job/gf/, go outside, etc."

Once you hit that 50, you're running AK 4-8 times a week (depending on whether or not you have a BC group). It takes maybe 30-35 minutes. At best, you're spending roughly 2.5 hours in AK, at worst, you're spending 4 hours a week in AK.

If people think that spending 4 hours a week in an MMORPG entails not having a life, then you need to brush up on the genre.

And for a lot of people, that's how much you'll play post-50. You might log in to chat, craft a little bit, etc, but beyond that, you'll either help guildies, play with friends, or cave in and level another class.

The point I'm getting at is that a brand new game typically doesn't make you only want to play it for 4 hours a week. Yet with FFXIV, after that 4th hour, you're left with the feeling of "Whew... thank god that's over for the week!"

And that right there? That is the problem. There's nothing else for you to do at all (yet).

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I agree Coil should be DF . It has a gear check, you need DL and relic to unlock it .

Right now Im in a FC that is doing coil , they are making solid coil groups .

I probably play this game more hours a week than most average players .

Can I join my FC coil group ? No because I cant play at certain times  .

The entire FC would have to revolve around my job schedule which is shift work  days / nights  4 on 4 off .

One Monday I might be free, the next I might be working night shift .

Suffice to say Im stuck to waiting for shouts  LF1M for TURN 2  ..

: as of now Ive hit my 300 limit for the week , speed running WP or AK depending on what I want to do . Queing as tank is instant so no worries there . But once I get my 300 limit .  I really have nothing to do . Crafting isn't my cup of tea and playing another class is not an option either because for example .

I switched to healer , que for dungeon . 30 mins I get dungeon ,  tank was in bad gear couldn't hold agro , wipe wipe wipe , tank left ,  game over .    

30 MINUTE QUE TIMES ? WTF

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Ya, if only every game's end game content was better then we would never need new games and could just all play the same one forever.

End game content is what you make of it, and there is more on the way.  People get too burnt out of a game after only 1 month because they expect to be occupied 100% of the time. 

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I agree Coil should be DF . It has a gear check, you need DL and relic to unlock it .

Right now Im in a FC that is doing coil , they are making solid coil groups .

I probably play this game more hours a week than most average players .

Can I join my FC coil group ? No because I cant play at certain times  .

The entire FC would have to revolve around my job schedule which is shift work  days / nights  4 on 4 off .

Don't feel bad I'm in the same boat. With my work schedule I can't set a day and meet a specific time each week. Say for instance friday nights at 9:00 pm est like my FC. Sometime I work friday nights sometimes I don't so that spot goes to someone who can be there every Friday night. Same thing (diff times) with the second and third group in my fc so I'm SOL. So I capped points Tuesday morning and haven't picked up the game the rest of the week and haven't missed it. I'm not about to join shout groups either too much down time in a game designed against downtime.

I wish they hadn't ruined ffxi....

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I agree Coil should be DF . It has a gear check, you need DL and relic to unlock it .Right now Im in a FC that is doing coil , they are making solid coil groups .I probably play this game more hours a week than most average players .Can I join my FC coil group ? No because I cant play at certain times  .The entire FC would have to revolve around my job schedule which is shift work  days / nights  4 on 4 off .

This is exactly my situation. I have full DL, +1, will have a bit of i90 gear by the end of the week. I'm in a FC I enjoy, they have 4 crews in Coil right now, 3 of them clearing Turn 4.

But none of them match my highly variable schedule. I've never set foot into Coil. I could go looking for a random PUG shouting for one more, but I go work on other classes or crafting instead of camping out on Costa or Mor Dhona waiting on that shout for one off-chance run a week.

It's not as easy as "Just go find a group" - because of the lockout mechanism. I see groups shouting for Turn2/3/4, but can't join any of them unless I've cleared 1, and they can't go back and clear 1 with me. So we all get futbuked.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by rafalex007
    would you please for the love of god relaize that the game have just lunched please please, stop thinking that you will get content that is enough for 10 years and find something else to play please

10 years, lol.  Seriously  the game was fun but it has very little content.  I am a casual player and sadly finished all the content up to the DarkLight farming at 50 in about a month, maybe 6 weeks.

I had a great time until I was forced to run the same couple of Dungeons (CM and AF) 50+ hours to get the first set of gear only to then have to run AF and Palace eight times a week for another couple months to get my Myth set with one night of playing around with Coil.

Sadly they made leveling so fast that there wasn't any time for them to add content before people hit wall and got stuck with lockout timers and days and day of gear grind through the same content over and over  :(

If they had reduced level advancement by 50%,  controlled that HUGE XP rewards for Zerged Fates and awarded tomes from ALL Dungeons. maybe even an extra weekly bonus for the first time through each particular Dungeon... then at least people would be encouraged to spread out and run different Dungeons and hopefully the DEVS could get Crystal Tower and the 24 man Raid stuff out before too many folks gave up hope.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

This game has no endgame content. 1 Raid and 1 four man dungeon is laughable at best.

Don't tell me leveling alts and crafting is endgame. It is only a waste of time for most people, because you can't really level more classes without spamming the same dungeons over and over or zerging fates (0 fun). And even if you created a new character, you would have to go through the same story/side quests as before, which makes me sick too.

I enjoyed the game for 1 month, until the only thing left for me to do, was farming the 4 man dungeon (AK) and the 1 Raid (Coil). At that point it became a chore.

Now, i understand having only 1 raid for endgame at launch. But having only 1 4man dungeon is just bad. 

Edit: Not to mention it launched without PVP either. So, imo this game has less content than any p2p AAA mmo i have played so far. Again, leveling other classes IS NOT content. 

Originally posted by skoupidi

This game has no endgame content. 1 Raid and 1 four man dungeon is laughable at best.

Don't tell me leveling alts and crafting is endgame. It is only a waste of time for most people, because you can't really level more classes without spamming the same dungeons over and over or zerging fates (0 fun). And even if you created a new character, you would have to go through the same story/side quests as before, which makes me sick too.

I enjoyed the game for 1 month, until the only thing left for me to do, was farming the 4 man dungeon (AK) and the 1 Raid (Coil). At that point it became a chore.

Now, i understand having only 1 raid for endgame at launch. But having only 1 4man dungeon is just bad. 

Especially in a game designed where you hit 50th level in just a couple weeks.   :(

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Woot just hit my first 50 in a little over two months. I am now a master botanist haha! Gonna focus on carpenter now (level 41). Haters can dismiss my playstyle all they want, SE got 6 months sub from me and my partner. Found a great FC on an awesome server (Balmung)

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by rutaq

Especially in a game designed where you hit 50th level in just a couple weeks.   :(

I got 2 50's I didn't even do FATES I just tanked in dungeons  which was instant que for tank . WAR and PLD.

But both PLD and WAR can wear exactly the same DL gear at 50 .

All I got to look forward to now is waiting for the weekly reset ,   might do a coil group if I get lucky  , being tank its usually easy to get in group .

And getting 300 tomes a week is piss easy doing speed runs since Im able to run them in about 15 mins .

Just not sure what else there is to do at end game , Its only a matter of time before I get full lvl 90 gear and that's with not running coil .

I just don't see any end game coming in the near future  unless there is an expansion  or some sort of raid with  LVL 100 gear set etc

Originally posted by Foomerang

Woot just hit my first 50 in a little over two months. I am now a master botanist haha! Gonna focus on carpenter now (level 41). Haters can dismiss my playstyle all they want, SE got 6 months sub from me and my partner. Found a great FC on an awesome server (Balmung)

Even if you are a casual gamer. The fact remains the same : 1 dungeon and 1 raid is going to be your endgame CONTENT.

Originally posted by Foomerang Woot just hit my first 50 in a little over two months. I am now a master botanist haha! Gonna focus on carpenter now (level 41). Haters can dismiss my playstyle all they want, SE got 6 months sub from me and my partner. Found a great FC on an awesome server (Balmung)
    Even if you are a casual gamer. The fact remains the same : 1 dungeon and 1 raid is going to be your endgame CONTENT.

I don't raid or do dungeons. And somehow I have plenty of content. Go figure :)

Originally posted by Foomerang Woot just hit my first 50 in a little over two months. I am now a master botanist haha! Gonna focus on carpenter now (level 41). Haters can dismiss my playstyle all they want, SE got 6 months sub from me and my partner. Found a great FC on an awesome server (Balmung)

Then why are you in an endgame content discussion, conserning dungeons and raids. Go have fun gathering and fate hunting.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by skoupidi Originally posted by Foomerang Woot just hit my first 50 in a little over two months. I am now a master botanist haha! Gonna focus on carpenter now (level 41). Haters can dismiss my playstyle all they want, SE got 6 months sub from me and my partner. Found a great FC on an awesome server (Balmung)
    Then why are you in an endgame content discussion, conserning dungeons and raids. Go have fun gathering and fate hunting.

Because this thread is about end game content which has many definitions based on how you play. Just because its not how you play doesnt mean its not valid.

Because this thread is about end game content which has many definitions based on how you play. Just because its not how you play doesnt mean its not valid.

Dude seriously, farming fates,leveling new chars and crafting and gathering are not endgame content, since those items from crafting are worse than the actual endgame gear obtained through dungeon farming and raiding. 

It is just content and "stuff to do" but not endgame content. Endgame content = doing hard dungeons/bosses/raids with more people and getting awarded with best in slot gear. Edit : also pvp. But they dont even have pvp yet in them game rofl.

Dude seriously, farming fates,leveling new chars and crafting and gathering are not endgame content, since those items from crafting are worse than the actual endgame gear obtained through dungeon farming and raiding. 

It is just content and "stuff to do" but not endgame content. Endgame content = doing hard dungeons/bosses/raids with more people and getting awarded with best in slot gear. Edit : also pvp. But they dont even have pvp yet in them game rofl.

I agree,  there are things to do in FFXIV but those things are not End Game content.  

The Producer  Yoshida even said End Game is ... " high-level challenge " content.   

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/yoshida-explains-ffxivs-endgame-content"

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

The main problem in this game ( for me) is the way they did things.

Yes, it's true u can play all classes, but u CANT lvl new classes the normal way, u need to spam fate's ( which in my opinion is the most crappy thing in this game and spamming that non stop will even bore u faster)

so people just play 1 class get to 50 farm myth which also takes time ( i'm not complaining on that) but after ur done with 300 of those, what's next?

there are no quest to re-roll a new class ( not taking those levequests into acount ).

so i do get what you are saying, and i feel the same way.

if only u could repeat every quest on a daily basis people would stay longer because there's something to do, atleast. And btw, housing and pvp isn't for everybody, so saying " housing is comming ! " doesn't mean sht. to allot of people.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    My wife and I enjoy the game, but we think it needs a lot more time to mature. We re walking away from it for awhile, let it get a lot more content then we ll come back. We re subbed FFXI, because hell theres years of content, even for a duo. XIV is a good game, but that third char leveling almost killed me. Dailies will help, but not much. They need Fates that spawn zone events like Rift. Hell put in Instant adventures like Rift. WOW scenarios, etc, etc. Why they never put in Missions, with Ranking up like in XI, I ll never know, buying my way up to gain rank for the GC, with the easiest ways to gain seals through Fates just drove me nuts. As for the OP, yes end game needs a lot of work too.