Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for an upgrade from a radeon 6870?

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I want to upgrade a 6870 but don't want to spend more than $250 is there a good card that can take its place and provide enough of a performance increase? I'll likely wait until holiday sales. Or should wait for something else or a price drop later on?

Other specs:

intel i7 3.3GHz @OC limit set to 4.2GHz

8 GB RAM

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

If you plan on waiting for holiday sales, getting advice today isn't going to do you any good, because the prices can (and often do) change so much.

What you would buy today because it's a great deal, on Black Friday/Cyber Monday it will be completely something else.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Take a look at the R9 280x ( $ 300 ) or the 7950s ( $250-300 )

The 7950s may drop a bit, the R9s are new and probably wont even during the holiday, but I could be wrong. Both of those are around your price range.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    I love my 7950. I got it on sale on newegg for $220. Has been able to play everything I have thrown at it. I'm sure there will be some crazy black friday deals though. You might be able to get something better.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    If you get a 7950. Make sure its one of the boost ones. There's a huge performance increase between a standard 7950 and a boost, but the price isn't much different.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    If you get a 7950. Make sure its one of the boost ones. There's a huge performance increase between a standard 7950 and a boost, but the price isn't much different.

There is not much difference in price because every 7950 will reach the boost clocks if you manually overclock.

To the OP:

At $250 the 7950 is king.

What resolution and games does you play (some games run better in either AMD or NVIDIA architecture regardless of average performance).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Yes but the boost cards have the correct cooling already on them.