Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about trying this game. Please help me with some info ^_^

punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Hello and thank you for taking your time reading this.

I`m a old school MMO gamer*1997-present*  but sadly i skiped EQ1&2. I was to busy playing DAOC,AO.

Will i like this game? I loved the class in AO and DAOC. I don`t mind leveling up and learning my class i find it pretty fun to do so.

How is the Population?   If it`s pretty low will i be able to solo if there is not many people?

I love to explore and take some time to look at the beauty of the game, is there places for me to do so?

I think this is all i have to say so far, if you have any other info that would be great!

Thank you for the replys hope to see some of you all in the game.

Comments

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by punkrock2

I`m a old school MMO gamer*1997-present*  but sadly i skiped EQ1&2. I was to busy playing DAOC,AO.

Will i like this game? I loved the class in AO and DAOC. I don`t mind leveling up and learning my class i find it pretty fun to do so.

How is the Population?   If it`s pretty low will i be able to solo if there is not many people?

I love to explore and take some time to look at the beauty of the game, is there places for me to do so?

I think this is all i have to say so far, if you have any other info that would be great!

I like the class designs of DAoC much better.  That being said, EQ2 has some interesting classes.  I enjoy how you can take a cleric style class like Inquisitor and turn it into a melee oriented class.  With DAoC there were class builds that were effective in PvP but horrible in solo PvE, which will not happen to you in EQ2.  Dont get me wrong, some classes and builds are not as effective in solo PvE as others, but all are still somewhat soloable.  Trying to solo PvE as a healer in DAoC, now that was a lesson in masochism.

The population can be iffy.  Rarely you see new players.  Mostly the lower levels that you see are alts.  I would usually balance my level and AA gain and eventually direct more exp toward AA making it much easier to solo content and even solo group content.  Alternate advancement (AA) is where a lot of classes derive most of their power.  If you subscribe you can choose how much of your exp is directed toward AA or leveling.  I believe its 50/50 by default.  I have an inquisitor that is like level 24 with like 50 AA, because to me AA is simply more rewarding.

My suggestion would be to putter around as F2P until around level 20 and then possibly subscribe for a month or 2 and then go back to F2P.  Its an easy game to bounce back and forth between sub and non sub. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the most popular servers are Freeport and Antonia Bayle

SOE lifted many restrictions on ftp in the last year

no more gear locking was the most recent change

its a fun game but it is top level heavy

i always see other players in the lower level zones on Freeport server but usually less than a dozen

I highly recommend spending $15.00 to unlock the merc feature

http://www.zam.com/wiki/Mercenaries_%28EQ2%29

• punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah

I like the class designs of DAoC much better.  That being said, EQ2 has some interesting classes.  I enjoy how you can take a cleric style class like Inquisitor and turn it into a melee oriented class.  With DAoC there were class builds that were effective in PvP but horrible in solo PvE, which will not happen to you in EQ2.  Dont get me wrong, some classes and builds are not as effective in solo PvE as others, but all are still somewhat soloable.  Trying to solo PvE as a healer in DAoC, now that was a lesson in masochism.

The population can be iffy.  Rarely you see new players.  Mostly the lower levels that you see are alts.  I would usually balance my level and AA gain and eventually direct more exp toward AA making it much easier to solo content and even solo group content.  Alternate advancement (AA) is where a lot of classes derive most of their power.  If you subscribe you can choose how much of your exp is directed toward AA or leveling.  I believe its 50/50 by default.  I have an inquisitor that is like level 24 with like 50 AA, because to me AA is simply more rewarding.

My suggestion would be to putter around as F2P until around level 20 and then possibly subscribe for a month or 2 and then go back to F2P.  Its an easy game to bounce back and forth between sub and non sub. 

Thanks for the fast reply ^_^    Aye DAOC was super hard solo for healers. One of the reasons why i never played a healing class haha.  I loved PVP thou.

Ah ok i can understand the lowish POP, DAOC in present time has about 3,500 players on a good day lol. I stil play it thou from time to time.

I will level two classes to level 20 and see how it goes, not sure what class to go with but thats the fun part right hehe. Love trying new games haha. 

Originally posted by Nadia

the most popular servers are Freeport and Antonia Bayle

SOE lifted many restrictions on ftp in the last year

no more gear locking was the most recent change

its a fun game but it is top level heavy

i always see other players in the lower level zones on Freeport server but usually less than a dozen

I highly recommend spending $15.00 to unlock the merc feature

http://www.zam.com/wiki/Mercenaries_%28EQ2%29

I heard they did the same in vanguard but that game had almost no people in it sadly.

Thats a pretty cool feature and would be worth the 15 dollers if i go with the game in the long run.  It cost to ave them every 30mins i hope it does not cost to much to have them for a long time.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

with the exception of Templar you can pretty much solo any class in the game given time and patience. they all level differently, some are more efficient soloers than others, some can be more efficient depending upon their AA build as mentioned by Nadia.

there are global chat channels so soloing doesn't have to be quite so lonely, which i like.

keep in mind if you just want to be in endgame you can now purchase a level 85 and then level them to 95. but you sound like me, you enjoy the leveling process as much, if not more, than endgame.

the one thing you will never have to worry about with EQ2 is content. there is more content in this game than probably 3 or more other mmo's combined. so, im sure you will find plenty to do either leveling or even taking a break from leveling your adventure class.

i would also mention that if you are a fan of older mmo's and population doesn't quite bother you, i would highly recommend trying out f2p Vanguard. quite stunning really, with very interesting classes and options.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

i would also mention that if you are a fan of older mmo's and population doesn't quite bother you, i would highly recommend trying out f2p Vanguard. quite stunning really, with very interesting classes and options.

Imo Vanguard has the worst class system I have ever seen.  Its like a throwback to the old days of you, the player, getting little to no choices.  You pick class A and class A gets these abilities, have a nice day.  Sorry about the rant... :)

It cost to have them every 30mins i hope it does not cost to much to have them for a long time.

the merc cost scales with your level and i never noticed it

a newly created level 1 can hire a merc using the coin you get from your first two quests

ie  think a level 1 merc is like 5 silver to hire and 1 silver every 30min

the best feature of mercs is you can solo dungeons under level 85 with them

i know grouping is much more fun but you won't find many players doing lower level dungeons

Imo Vanguard has the worst class system I have ever seen.  Its like a throwback to the old days of you, the player, getting little to no choices.  You pick class A and class A gets these abilities, have a nice day.  Sorry about the rant... :)

you're right very few options, it is not SWGpreNGE or something, nor does it have skill trees, which i normally insist upon. however, the classes themselves have been so interesting and enjoyable for me in the past that it has never really bothered me.

besides most skill tree type games have 2-3 viable builds (and im being generous there, i think).

you're right very few options, it is not SWGpreNGE or something, nor does it have skill trees, which i normally insist upon. however, the classes themselves have been so interesting and enjoyable for me in the past that it has never really bothered me.

besides most skill tree type games have 2-3 viable builds (and im being generous there, i think).

Yea thats my only problem with EQ2.  I wish they fleshed out the AA more. AA is the most interesting part of some of the classes, for me.  I love that you can make an Inquisitor melee, but I do not like that it seems the best solution.  For some reason it seems developers refuse to add in drawbacks.

Then there are some classes, like necromancer, which I love the theme but for some reason the AA's just seem, bleh to me.  I feel like when I spend AA's that it has no impact with a necro which is the complete opposite of how I felt with my inquisitor.

I am still pretty much new to EQ2.  My highest level is a 56 Fury, well besides the free 85.  I wish they would allow you to start a character at level 20 with 20 AA.  I think that would be more beneficial for new players since you still dont have many skills and its easy to learn the class.  Trying to learn a class at level 85 when you have no experience with that class is insane.  I guess if you already have a couple high level characters, then it becomes easier.  I just think that they should have added something to tempt new players instead of directing this at older players...

Yea thats my only problem with EQ2.  I wish they fleshed out the AA more. AA is the most interesting part of some of the classes, for me.  I love that you can make an Inquisitor melee, but I do not like that it seems the best solution.  For some reason it seems developers refuse to add in drawbacks.

Then there are some classes, like necromancer, which I love the theme but for some reason the AA's just seem, bleh to me.  I feel like when I spend AA's that it has no impact with a necro which is the complete opposite of how I felt with my inquisitor.

I am still pretty much new to EQ2.  My highest level is a 56 Fury, well besides the free 85.  I wish they would allow you to start a character at level 20 with 20 AA.  I think that would be more beneficial for new players since you still dont have many skills and its easy to learn the class.  Trying to learn a class at level 85 when you have no experience with that class is insane.  I guess if you already have a couple high level characters, then it becomes easier.  I just think that they should have added something to tempt new players instead of directing this at older players...

agreed.

good points i agree with - more variety w aa  and giving an optional miniboost

EQ2 did class differentiation using classes not the aa

without the right class, being a melee priest is less effective

melee priest  vs caster priest

warden, inq, mystc    vs   fury, templar, defiler

Thank you all for the awesome replys!

I see the free level 85 trial for the class, so this is what i am thinking. I`m going to pick 3 classes of each type to see what i like with end game stuff. 

3 meele

3 magic

3 healing

3 stealth 

I think that would be a good idea to kinda see what to be later on. Then once i pick my class i will start it at level 1 and go from there. I see there is a lot of races to pick from and thats a good thing for me.

good points i agree with - more variety w aa  and giving an optional miniboost

EQ2 did class differentiation using classes not the aa

without the right class, being a melee priest is less effective

melee priest  vs caster priest

warden, inq, mystc    vs   fury, templar, defiler

Which kind of blows my mind.  I have an inq and a fury and both are melee speced.  Thematically the melee inq makes sense to me. I am in platemail which to me screams, get into melee range.  Then I play my Fury, which either looks like a tiger or wolf, which to me screams, get into melee range.  Yet SoE wants me to sit in the back shooting lightning out my Tiger arse.  Heh.  I just wish they made both options viable.  Not necessarily equal. Just viable.

In my opinion, a melee fury should be about dps and a melee inq should be about tanking/sustain.  In reality my melee inq seems to put out a significant amount of dps as well as being an ok solo tank/healer.  My melee fury just feels as if I am gimping myself and should kite. heh.  Sadly I cant change it because in my head I am a damn liger running around cat style biting shit. Biting shit from 30 yards just doesnt do it for me...

I`m going to pick 3 classes of each type to see what i like with end game stuff.

this may help - a class summary

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1780357#1780357

I see the free level 85 trial for the class, so this is what i am thinking. I`m going to pick 3 classes of each type to see what i like with end game stuff. 

3 meele

3 magic

3 healing

3 stealth 

I think that would be a good idea to kinda see what to be later on. Then once i pick my class i will start it at level 1 and go from there. I see there is a lot of races to pick from and thats a good thing for me.

another quality that i like about both games, as well.

I`m going to pick 3 classes of each type to see what i like with end game stuff.

this may help - a class summary

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1780357#1780357

Thanks Nadia  ^_^ i am reading this and the casting classes sound awesome, thoou i never have been into casting classes it seemsl ike this game has some cool ones to pick from.

3 meele

3 magic

3 healing

3 stealth 

These are not necessarily distinct types of characters. For example and Inquisitor can be melee/magic/healing all in one class. A shadowknight is also melee/magic/healing.  I would suggest reading the classes and picking the theme you like because a lot of classes can do multiple things.  Hybrids also work well solo.

Even with my short time with this game I have learned a few things and here are some of those things:

1. Melee damage matters

You might think, but I am a fury and I cast spells, melee damage still matters.  Its pretty easy to get 40+ multi-attack on some classes at around level 20+.  Slow weapons with a decent multi-attack hit hard.  It also seems that you can scale muti-attack over 100.  At 100 I believe you always get 2 attacks and above 100 you start getting the chance at a 3rd.

2.  Making money isnt hard

I dont know many areas yet, but what I do know is that I make money in the wailing caves.  Depending on the class, once you can farm it and sell stuff on the AH for cash.  You never know what will sell good on the AH.  Before you vendor loot things, make sure to check the price on the AA, it will surprise you sometimes.

3.  AA

I like to put all exp around levels 20-24 into AA depending on class.  Once I reach my level in AA I either try to balance it out from then on or push for a bit more AA than level.  This is just my method of play.  Some classes just seem 10x more effective with AA which allows you to solo some things that you couldnt which leads to more challenges, better exp, and better items.  It snowballs a bit.

4. Statistics

Check the primary stat of the class because that stat scales your damage.  If its wisdom, wisdom will increase your damage.  I believe every class has basically 1 primary stat and then stamina. This part of the game saddened me.  I wanted to make an inquisitor that was melee and used strength.

3 meele

3 magic

3 healing

3 stealth 

another quality that i like about both games, as well.

Aye not sure what to pick lol, but in any MMo game i always go with a animal or elf type. Thou in AO i just went with human.

3 meele

3 magic

3 healing

3 stealth 

These are not necessarily distinct types of characters. For example and Inquisitor can be melee/magic/healing all in one class. A shadowknight is also melee/magic/healing.  I would suggest reading the classes and picking the theme you like because a lot of classes can do multiple things.  Hybrids also work well solo.

Even with my short time with this game I have learned a few things and here are some of those things:

1. Melee damage matters

You might think, but I am a fury and I cast spells, melee damage still matters.  Its pretty easy to get 40+ multi-attack on some classes at around level 20+.  Slow weapons with a decent multi-attack hit hard.  It also seems that you can scale muti-attack over 100.  At 100 I believe you always get 2 attacks and above 100 you start getting the chance at a 3rd.

2.  Making money isnt hard

I dont know many areas yet, but what I do know is that I make money in the wailing caves.  Depending on the class, once you can farm it and sell stuff on the AH for cash.  You never know what will sell good on the AH.  Before you vendor loot things, make sure to check the price on the AA, it will surprise you sometimes.

3.  AA

I like to put all exp around levels 20-24 into AA depending on class.  Once I reach my level in AA I either try to balance it out from then on or push for a bit more AA than level.  This is just my method of play.  Some classes just seem 10x more effective with AA which allows you to solo some things that you couldnt which leads to more challenges, better exp, and better items.  It snowballs a bit.

4. Statistics

Check the primary stat of the class because that stat scales your damage.  If its wisdom, wisdom will increase your damage.  I believe every class has basically 1 primary stat and then stamina. This part of the game saddened me.  I wanted to make an inquisitor that was melee and used strength.

Aye very true, i like the shadowknight thus far when it comes to swords. It looks to be a very fun class and i am playing it at 85, it has so many deadly skills it`s amazeing.

4. Statistics

currently true

but may change next month w the game update /  expansion

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/383767/EQ2-talk-w-Kyle-Kander-Vallee-and-hints-of-fall-expansion.html

When making a char what is the differance between alternate apperance?

4. Statistics

currently true

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/383767/EQ2-talk-w-Kyle-Kander-Vallee-and-hints-of-fall-expansion.html

Very good news to see going into this game, i like the idea of making my char how i want without it telling me were to put my points.

its just an asian look that can be toggled off / on any time at character select screen

only you see your character that way

the settings you see at the screen -- is how you see all models in the game, including your own

its just an asian look that can be toggled off / on any time at character select screen

only you see your character that way

the settings you see at the screen -- is how you see all models in the game, including your own

Ah ok, i like the asian look so i guess that would be ok for me haha. I think i will be staying with shadowknight. It seems like it`s a very strong class to use. I just wish it could have two handed swords thou.

4. Statistics

currently true

Thats pretty awesome.  I wonder how it will affect some classes.  I made a 85 coercer for the fun of it and I notice that even tho its a mage it gets a lot of extra damage from ranged melee attacks.  I wonder how this will effect damage output for that class.  Hopefully they put in some options for that style of mage.  Same for my inquisitor which I do focus mainly on melee. 

I love being forced to choose and sacrifice to develop a character. I hope this brings that back.