Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Universal Skill Discussion

nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

In the Tower of Nightmares update, ANet is giving a new skill to players who complete the dungeon. Colin had said that it will be permanent. The advantage to early players is that acquisition of the new skill will be easier.

Now, I'm psyched for this. Not the skill itself, but the potential path that ANet is taking. They're adding skills that can only be acquired through completing a dungeon. If they follow through with revamping old content, they can add new universal skills in them. The skills should not be overpowered though. If it is too overpowered, then everyone will use it and it would break the immersion of the game. The last thing I want is an LFG ad saying "Need Super-OP Skill. No Newbs."

I think that a good suggestion is to have these skills as cosmetic. Or, they could unlock Race specific elites to other races.

All in all, I hope they follow through on this new skill unlock system.

Thoughts?

P.S. Now that I think of it more, the reason why there's a dearth of Elites is because ANet might be reserving these for this type of events or dungeons. Just had a crazy idea: the reason why there's no title or reward on completing the jumping puzzle achievement is because they'll add an elite skill where you jump on top of your target's head and daze them.

Comments

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    I really hope they continue to do this, but also make the skills class specific. Id rather not have the same skills across all of my different classes. Maybe that's just me though.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    I really hope they continue to do this, but also make the skills class specific. Id rather not have the same skills across all of my different classes. Maybe that's just me though.

Class specific would be the best way to go I think.

Makes the classes feel more unique and true to its name.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Not sure what to think. 

New skills are nice but for me the bigger problem is that those skill are limited to the 3 utility slots. right now i already have several skills i would like to put into the slots. What i realy need is more slots for weapon-skills(or at least skills with cooldowns like the weapon skills) or at least some alternatives for existing weapon skills.

At the same time i prefere racial or class skills over skills that are the same for all players. Even specific fluff-skills are much better than generic ones.

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

I believe you can still buy this skill straight out with skill points though. 

Only difference in getting it through the dungeon is that it doesn't cost anything.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by PrinceDamien

That's one thing GW2 is missing, and that's Class Stories. If they ever scrap the Zhaitan storyline, I think Class Stories and Continuing Personal Stories would be a great replacement. Then you can earn class specific skills when you complete certain missions, and earning that skill would mean something.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by nastyjman
    Originally posted by PrinceDamien

That's one thing GW2 is missing, and that's Class Stories. If they ever scrap the Zhaitan storyline, I think Class Stories and Continuing Personal Stories would be a great replacement. Then you can earn class specific skills when you complete certain missions, and earning that skill would mean something.

Yes, that would be a fantastic addition or change more so.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

After playing through the Ursan days of GW1, I don't know what to think about universal skills. While they can be fun it can get to the point where you either have to have that specific skill to get into a group (even if you are new), or it's never used. 

I do think that dungeons or events or new stories are a great way to introduce more skills to the game. However, I don't think universal skills are they way to go. 

I think this game needs more ways to differentiate professions, not ways to make the professions more homogeneous. No this does not mean trinity. I don't know what these ways are, and I think that's something that the community and the developers should work together to come up with. 

One thing I think would be interesting is if dungeons changed based off of group composition. Throughout the dungeon events that are specifically tailored to a specific profession's capabilities. By completing these events, the profession the event is tailored for has a chance to gain access to a new skill.