Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD 290X beats TITAN for almost half the price!!!

Comments

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    You could buy a ps4 and a couple of games for that price.

Yeah, but the Ps4 does not play games at 4k resolution. :)

@op Even if Ati is a "better" card and Nvidia is the Apple of the video card world, its pretty hard to deny how much more popular it is. For example: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Which breaks down to

35.94% Nvidia
    33.89% other
    18.62% Ati
    11.55% Intel

Ati would need to make up an awful lot of that "other" category to come close to Nvidia.

• shellersheller Member Posts: 14
    Quit trying to make Nvidia buyers have remorse over their purchases.  As it so happens I like my 780 and it does everything I want it to, it also has a very reliable warranty package.  
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Here is a very simple fact. ALL REFERENCE COOLERS FROM NVIDIA AND AMD SUCK! Seriously docking it on its reference cooler is not really a valid argument.

I personally am going to wait for a die shrink. They really don't have anymore headroom they can pack into this process node on the same architecture without making the die bigger, hotter, and more hungry. I really like my cards to be cool and consume less energy since I have seen what it can do after the HD3870.

Also I am not getting it because their naming convention is ridiculous. AMD Radeon R9 290X? Its just too much. I would have preferred HD10970.

((BTW the other category is mostly AMD))

Originally posted by Cleffy

Considering that they count mobile platforms and how many computer manufacturers are partnered with Nvidia, I find that hard to believe. Got a source?

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    While I currently own a ATI card, this isnt the second coming of jesus. Its a great card at a good price point. If partners come up with a better cooling system and drop the price into a medium level on par with a 660 or 7950, then we will see some shit hit the fan.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I have been itching to get a new card for a lil bit now.

I certainly don't really need one. I have a 6970. I pre-ordered it back in 2010,and received it in Dec 2010, based almost exclusively on what I had researched about PowerTune. I have an aftermarket water jacket on it, so the video card in and of itself is silent. It overclocks well enough, although I don't maintain an OC on it and pretty much only crank it up for testing and benchmarking various games.

I should say, I have been extremely happy with my 6970.

I have dual monitors, but realistically I only play on one - a 1920x1200 screen. I have found some titles that I can't "MAXMAX" out, but none where I haven't been able to play with more than reasonable frame rates with more than reasonable options turned on.

So I definitely don't need a new card. I just ~want~ one, for absolutely no rational reason.

Right now, looking at everything on the table. I was moderately interested in triple-screen gaming, but the bezels kept me from jumping on board. 4K will probably be my next big investment, once they get down in the <$800 range for 24-30" screen. The fact that the 290X looks good at 4K is very appealing, but honestly, once the monitors get down to the price point I need, we're going to be looking at another generation (or two) of video cards as well.

I will be honest, streaming to Shield does have my attention, but not enough to make me go out and buy a Shield though.... and if SteamOS can do this well, I'll be all ears. G-Sync does have my attention, tearing isn't as bad as it used to be with LCD monitors and game engines, but it's still very distracting when it occurs. G-Sync will be one of those "seeing is believing" technologies though.

Boost 2.0 and the new PowerTune are essentially tied. Boost looks to perform a bit more aggressively, but PowerTune looks to be a bit more robust. AMD has had better multimonitor support for a while now, but it isn't something I'm seriously considering any longer.

Heat and noise are big concerns, but those are largely functions of the cooling solution. I don't have to water cool, but I have the ability to go up to that level of cooling if I wanted to. Comparing reference coolers is like trying to predict a NASCAR race based on how cars perform out of the dealership. The TDP (the real TDP, not the marketing jazz) is all that really matters - the rest is just a function of cooling.

PhysX, CUDA, Mantle, and TruAudio aren't really considerations; they seem more like marketing buzz than anything.

Soooo.... all of that said. I'm not necessarily waiting on a die shrink, but it does look like I am waiting a lil while longer; not necessarily for anything GPU related, but for 4K monitor prices to come down, and then I'll see what GPUs are out there and where the price war all breaks down.

Originally posted by Livnthedream

Originally posted by nerovipus32 You could buy a ps4 and a couple of games for that price.
    Yeah, but the Ps4 does not play games at 4k resolution. :)

@op Even if Ati is a "better" card and Nvidia is the Apple of the video card world, its pretty hard to deny how much more popular it is. For example: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Which breaks down to

35.94% Nvidia33.89% other18.62% Ati11.55% Intel 

Ati would need to make up an awful lot of that "other" category to come close to Nvidia.

Now this is funny.

Not that I'm pro nVidia or AMD, but I go to that URL, and I see:

PC Video card usage by mfg
    APRIL 2012 - SEPTEMBER 2013
    nVidia 51.98%
    Intel 14.98%
    AMD/ATI 32.66%
    Other 0.38%

Copy and pasted the numbers to make sure I didn't transpose them incorrectly...

I have no idea where the other set of numbers came from, unless your including OSX/Linux stats as well (and I would be surprised if there are enough of both of those combined to skew the Windows numbers).

Also, just a rumor, but good chance your wrong about the PS4 as well - although I'd be the first to admit it wouldn't matter, because it won't have the horsepower to really drive it and developers won't push it (much like so few push 1080p now on the PS3).

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by vission
    You could have at least tried to proofread your post before submitting it.  It's just a chore to read otherwise.  Mine may not be perfect but they are at least easy to understand.  Also, don't make additional posts covering the same thing.  

He's not a native English speaker, so....back off.

However, you are right about one thing: your post is far from perfect.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Now this is funny.

Not that I'm pro nVidia or AMD, but I go to that URL, and I see:

PC Video card usage by mfg
    APRIL 2012 - SEPTEMBER 2013
    nVidia 51.98%
    Intel 14.98%
    AMD/ATI 32.66%
    Other 0.38%

Copy and pasted the numbers to make sure I didn't transpose them incorrectly...

I have no idea where the other set of numbers came from, unless your including OSX/Linux stats as well (and I would be surprised if there are enough of both of those combined to skew the Windows numbers).

Also, just a rumor, but good chance your wrong about the PS4 as well - although I'd be the first to admit it wouldn't matter, because it won't have the horsepower to really drive it and developers won't push it (much like so few push 1080p now on the PS3).

I did not even see the window for usage, I was going off from the breakdown of video card description.

Also, while I do not doubt that it will be able to push pre rendered stuff to 4k, actually playing the game at decent fps at that resolution is gonna be non existant. Its having issues hitting 60fps with many of its games as is.

You link is a 404 btw.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    fuck everyones christmas presents.. fuck my car payments. im getting a 290X ASAP
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

My GTX 670 plays every game out on MAX settings at high FPS still(ive had it almost 2 years now and got it at $300-350), no need to waste money on something newer that has no use for now.

So I will use the $500 to get a PS4 for now and enjoy the best of both worlds. Have a gaming PC that plays it all and a new console to play with.

When my current PC is ready for an upgrade this AMD card or the next Nvidia card that is as good or btter will be at $400-350 or so and I will buy that and build another PC probably.

NEVER buy cards when they come out new and are the top notch thing, wait a while because usually you don't need the power and can save money and put it to better use. 

Now, if you are rich, you can buy everything, but that's my advice to the other 99.9% of the world.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by vission
    You could have at least tried to proofread your post before submitting it.  It's just a chore to read otherwise.  Mine may not be perfect but they are at least easy to understand.  Also, don't make additional posts covering the same thing.  

ya well you misspelled "vision".

tiresome grammar nuns

You link is a 404 btw.

Should be fixed in the original post - the stupid forum software totally mangled it and added a bunch of junk, took me 4 edits to get it to finally work right.

http://www.cnet.com.au/ps4-to-support-4k-playback-339341262.htm

Just a reference though to back up what I said, and still nothing more than a rumor.

I also found this source:
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/sony-confirms-4k-video-output-on-ps4-but-not-for-games-1132919

Basically says what you and I say though - the PS4 can output to 4K, but you aren't going to be playing games at 4K.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Considering that they count mobile platforms and how many computer manufacturers are partnered with Nvidia, I find that hard to believe. Got a source?

Your own link.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

AMD/ATI is so bad so bad that is only powering the PS4 and the XBone.

But if it helps people justifying paying €$100 more for a GTX 770 that performs the same as a 7970GHz/R9 280X, go ahead claiming that Radeon cards somehow don't work.

I'll buy whatever is the best price/performance at my price point, be it NVIDIA or AMD/ATI, since they both work fine with the rare problems.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by miguksaram
    I'm just going to leave this right here for those that have an open enough mind to accept a different perspective on the card from a well respected review site.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_290x_review/1

If you have the time and care about this card or it's potential impact on the market I suggest reading the written review and watching the associated video.

I follow all the sites listed in this thread and find the majority of them to be decent but none of them are as up front as TTL IMHO.

They advertise to buy nvidia the reviewer is nvidia fan and all replyers to review are nvidia fans lol.

While almost all sides show benchmarks that beats titan you show a nvidia side with 780 beats not only on most occasions 290x but also titan lol.

Way to go nvidia showing a nvidia fansite link.

Honestly WHAT?

Did you actually "Objectively" watch the freaking review?

The fact that the one major "No nonsense reviewer" online tested and reviewed this card lower than major reviewers online makes him a "fanboi" in your book is beyond absurd.  We are talking about one of, if not the most premier online reviewers in the U.K.  Seriously how dull do you have to be to be so blind?  I love Anandtech aswell as Tom's Hardware (though they can be F'ing retarded on build specs) but to think they aren't catering to the hardware developer in this round is LUDACRIS!!!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    I don't care if it's a million times faster than NVidia's best card. I will NEVER put another P.O.S. AMD/ATI card in my computer again. I made that mistake during one build and regretted it daily. They have no clue how to work drivers and their Catalyst Control Panel doesn't make sense half the time and doesn't work the other half.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I use Nvidia cards only, because I've done so for the past 10 years, and never had a problem with them. My brother used Radeons back in the day and often whined of the problems he had with them, we even had to skip some co-op sessions because some games gave him headache with Radeon. He wasn't the only one too.

However that is ancient history by now and a lot has changed, though a work buddy complained about some Borderlands 2 problems not long ago with his Ati card. Anyway I dont actually believe that there even can be huge difference when it comes to these "problems" with the different GPU's today, and Ati cards usually seem to pack more punch for the bucks spend in these devices, but I just dont see the point of taking the leap at this point (why change something that works just fine?).

I've used Nvidia cards a long time now without practically any problems, and yes I know that's propably just luck, there's people who has had problems more or less, but by my personal experiences I just dont see the reason for change.

I currently run Nvidia GTX570 and it runs everything perfectly fine that I play, most of the time maxed out, and if I get performance problems it's mostly because I'm currently running my last AMD processor (Phenom 2 X4 970 BE), next time I build a computer I'll definately jump onboard with Intel.

GW2 and Planetside 2 really woke me up about the fact that these days CPU matters extremely much in certain types of games. The both run fine on my setup with high settings, but they should be running better, the options I had to throttle down with these games were mostly CPU related.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

So they built completely unoptimized overheating overclocked oversized contraption that sole purpose is to advertize "We did it"

Completely irelevant for gaming.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Watched the video, couldn't believe how loud it was, but like people have said, just wait...They will improve it, and the price will drop for Nvidea cards, so win/win if you want a AMD or Nvidea.

I have been buying Nvidea myself, had trouble with my last AMD/ATI card, but admittedly, it was probably still just ATI, and people say they have fixed their problems.

Honestly WHAT?

The fact that the one major "No nonsense reviewer" online tested and reviewed this card lower than major reviewers online makes him a "fanboi" in your book is beyond absurd.  We are talking about one of, if not the most premier online reviewers in the U.K.  Seriously how dull do you have to be to be so blind?  I love Anandtech aswell as Tom's Hardware (though they can be F'ing retarded on build specs) but to think they aren't catering to the hardware developer in this round is LUDACRIS!!!

Toms, anand, guru3d, legitreviews, hardocp, hardwarecanucks, hardwareheaven, PCPER, etc.

All in the pocket of AMD.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Lobotomist

So they built completely unoptimized overheating overclocked oversized contraption that sole purpose is to advertize "We did it"

Completely irelevant for gaming.

Sure it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Funny how one of the worst problems in the video card industry was the failing of NVIDIA Geforce 8/9 mobile gpus for the laptop (aka as bumpgate).

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/29/07_08_macbook_pros_included_in_nvidia_class_action_settlement.html

http://www.itproportal.com/2010/10/01/nvidias-bumpgate-settlement-details-revealed/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/29/suit.covers.15..and.17.inch.models.from.07.08/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Here is a very simple fact. ALL REFERENCE COOLERS FROM NVIDIA AND AMD SUCK! Seriously docking it on its reference cooler is not really a valid argument.

Some are worse than others.  This one is worse than most, at least relative to the card it is on.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Classicstar

I'm just going to leave this right here for those that have an open enough mind to accept a different perspective on the card from a well respected review site.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_290x_review/1

If you have the time and care about this card or it's potential impact on the market I suggest reading the written review and watching the associated video.

I follow all the sites listed in this thread and find the majority of them to be decent but none of them are as up front as TTL IMHO.

They advertise to buy nvidia the reviewer is nvidia fan and all replyers to review are nvidia fans lol.

While almost all sides show benchmarks that beats titan you show a nvidia side with 780 beats not only on most occasions 290x but also titan lol.

Way to go nvidia showing a nvidia fansite link.

Honestly WHAT?

Never mind the AMD vs Nvidia comparison; let's try a simple sanity check.  When you show a GTX 780 routinely beating a Titan by a lot, I'd question the reliability of the numbers.

Your own link.

What? As Ridlyn pointed out the collected totals Show Nvidia at 51.98% total and Ati at 32.66%. Meaning that other category is split 16.04 Nvidia/14.04 Ati.