Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello? Where is everyone?

Comments

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by CIB3
    SWTOR is empty?!?!  I'm so happy... maybe BW (and subscribers too) will see the importance of those free players. And stop to consider them just garbage players.

Sorry to be a spoil sport and ruin your happiness but no SWTOR isn't empty.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    SWTOR is empty?!?!  I'm so happy... maybe BW (and subscribers too) will see the importance of those free players. And stop to consider them just garbage players.

Primetime, last time I checked 6 players on Alderaan

I did some quests and met no one on a Friday evening. Only one instance.

Warzones take 5-10 minutes to pop

guess it's time for another server merge, because my server is totally boring and underpopulated

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by JeroKane

This game, just like many others, took a serious hit in population when FFXIV:ARR released back end of august.

Sorry, this isn't the reason. As much as fans would like to believe it, the universe didn't come to a stop when ARR was released. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if SWTOR has more subscribers than ARR now that the first month is done. 

I found much the same issue when I was playing (even before ARR) and it's more likely due to the fact that you're in areas where other people aren't. Just like most MMOs, there is very little reason to return to a planet once you're done on it, so people simply don't. If you hung out around fleet, there would likely be more people. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by JeroKane

This game, just like many others, took a serious hit in population when FFXIV:ARR released back end of august.

It´s the New flavor of the month MMO at this moment.

I noticed the same thing on Ebon Hawke (which was supposed to be a decent pop server too) when I logged in two weeks ago to check Things out and all zones were dead during prime time. Maybe 1 - 3 players in a zone and a handful of players on Fleet.

The only Groups going atm are endgame Groups. Unless you still manage to have some friends in a guild at the same Level as you to Group With.

No, it didnt. The people who play games like SWTOR is not the same as the one playing FFXIV. There was nothing like a ¨hit¨ or huge drop with the FFXIV release, and the ones who left to play it (maybe 2% of the swtor players), was on swtor once again after a week. Low levels Planets where empty since day 1, is a design problem, not a population problem, and with all the exp boosters people just do the main history and dont care about everything else. The Population on swtor is good and growing everysingle day after the 2.4 update. FFXIV did nothing to SWTOR population.  http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats  some stats about swtor, green numbers show u how the population is growing.  

And to the OP, endgame is where you start playing SWTOR.   

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Primetime, last time I checked 6 players on Alderaan

I did some quests and met no one on a Friday evening. Only one instance.

Warzones take 5-10 minutes to pop

guess it's time for another server merge, because my server is totally boring and underpopulated

Last I checked on primetime last Friday fleet had 5 instances and the new area had 4.  Fp popped in under 5 min, we ran palace and there were 36 people in there.  You claim that it took 5 min to pop a wz and that equals server merge really?  I have sat in que on wow for almost two hrs before and that is cross server.  I understand you were trying to bash Swtor but 5-10 min que time actually proves they don't need to merge servers cause they are healthy!  

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I just started messing around with the game again and it seems pretty populated. when I play.  Not heavy but there are people.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Whether a Players sees many other Players in SWTOR depends on what time they play ... "Prime time" doesn't mean the same thing to all Players and that might be the disconnect here between what the OP experiences and what others here report. Depending on when I log in SWTOR can either feel like a single player game or a very busy MMO, or anywhere inbetween.

(just a suggestion: if you are going to suggest a time to play use GMT time to pinpoint what time you report many Players ingame, not just "primetime". I see many more Players in PvE zones from 2000gmt til 0400gmt than at any other time- Shadowlands server, NA)

It also depends what you are doing. Which Planet. Which zone (some zones only see activity while leveling and are never visited again). Which Server. Which Faction. Which Instance.

SWTOR was made to help Players that prefer to go solo feel comfortable. It does that well. it does not do well at giving a warm fuzzy to those who like to group.

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

Population numbers for the zone OP mentioned and the fleet for both factions:

18:15 CEST (Central Europe) on The Red Eclipse:
    Republic players on Alderaan: 83
    Empire players on Alderaan: 96

Total: 179 in a level 30 zone

18:15 CEST (Central Europe) on The Red Eclipse:
    Republic players on Fleet: 347
    Empire players on Fleet: 441

Total: 788 on Fleet

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by simplius

okay, but did it take 6 years to make swg? did swg have one of the biggest budgets in gaming history?

swtor was designed, and sold as the new wow

and they did have the initial sales

but that only lasted, until people got wise

wows first box is still 5$ on the open market..8 years after

how much is a swtor box going for these days?

And all of this matters because...???

economics..if you put more resources into a product, than it can give in return, your business will fail

any business  is relying on that fact

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Depends on which side you are playing and what time you are playing too. I am in NA Jedi Covenant server, the rep side of this server has gone completely blank unless i am doing end game Ops or FPs. but at the same time on the empire side, the business is hot as usual, no matter which planet i go on peak hour, always find lots of players to do Heroics, have 2 or 3 instances all the time. as for eu red eclipse i think imp side is hotter there too.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Wait you can only have 45-50 ppl on a planet in SWTOR?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

EA created a super generic questing game and does not listen or care after releasing a game.They needed to create reason to play outside of following quest markers on a map.a perfect example would be to have something like a daily server wide get together similar to Besieged in FFXI.

They needed a MUCH better system for grouping,as is the entire design no matter group or not is still based on soloing.Mobs are scattered to look like a pc game instead of any realism,just a weak effort on game design.It has nothing to do with any other games stealing the population,i was tuned off by level 20 on every class because the game was just too generic,voice overs cannot save a boring game.

I know it selfish but the entire combat system and mob system/ai needed to be totally revamped.redone.If they realized this major weakness,i would have no problem returning to the game.I  think we all would like to see a "complete" sci fi/space type game in the mmo genre because Eve does not come close to filling this void.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

This thread reminds me of a few months after launch where people were telling me my server wasn't dead, when in fact my server was very, very dead. 20-25 people on fleet dead.

However, I find it hard to believe that the 17 or so servers they have left are as dead as people in this thread are claiming.

Too many idiots are willing to pay for or play anything with Star Wars on or in it, so its pretty far fetched to think that they don't have a relatively stable population.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

I started this thread as i was unable to get into any planetary destinations, i have to wait for hours without any group get matched.

Im interested in what makes a game an MMO, the massive multiplayer experience with player interdependancy.

Killing 20 killiks and then killing 20 rats, its not for me.

From now on, ill do flashpoints, and planetary destinations to grind so i can solo my class quests.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

who i going to bother with flashpoints at lower levels?? It is a lot faster to level, i only qued for a flashpoint just to see revan, nothing else.

Flashpoints are a waste of time when you can level a lot faster through solo pve, probably why you dont find that many people

so it isnt a populatio problem, you might want to que up for warzones, there are always people playing them

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Frostvein

This thread reminds me of a few months after launch where people were telling me my server wasn't dead, when in fact my server was very, very dead. 20-25 people on fleet dead.

However, I find it hard to believe that the 17 or so servers they have left are as dead as people in this thread are claiming.

Too many idiots are willing to pay for or play anything with Star Wars on or in it, so its pretty far fetched to think that they don't have a relatively stable population.

It is actually a pretty common thread for "older" mmos. Player A says server X is "dead"; player B says no server Y is fine; result: people start to drift towards the higher pop servers. And you may get player C's as well who quote the devs saying everything is rosy - only the devs are looking at things like capacity and tend to out player experience.

Now in SWTOR's case Wolf's comment above about people not q'ing for flashpoints is, imo, very valid. If SWTOR was a vibrant, thriving game however - attracting a constant flow of new F2P folk the flashpoints should be active. All the servers should be active at peak play time and moderately so either side. If you divide the number of new accounts by the  number of servers then things should be creaking at the seams!

As we know - and we do know:

-  new games get a big player rush. SWTOR got that at launch

- Decline sets in; check.

- F2P relaunch - new influx.

- Post F2P huge decline (F2P games burn bright but not for long)

- we even had the xpac blip which lasts as long as it takes for peeps to come back and run through the new content.

This is what happens. I could be talking about CoH, or WAR, or even DAoC or WoW. Just leave out any bits that don't apply.

I suggest the OP reads what people say and changes server.

He doesn't have to change server as The Red Eclipse is the most populated EU server out there. I've posted population numbers of the early evening, 700+ players (both factions combined) in the fleet (capital zone).

If you think this means a dead server then I suggest passing up on this game and move on to WoW which surely has more.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Illudo

He doesn't have to change server as The Red Eclipse is the most populated EU server out there. I've posted population numbers of the early evening, 700+ players (both factions combined) in the fleet (capital zone).

If you think this means a dead server then I suggest passing up on this game and move on to WoW which surely has more.

I mean not to be that guy, but what makes your numbers more valid then his, or anyone's for that matter? You say he is lying, and he might very well  be, but so might you.

Here

Red Eclipse - Friday, 6 PM Server time:

Tython - 10 people, single instance.

Republic Fleet - 25 people, single instance.

See?

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Is it possible to change server and keep your character and its progress?

Id change to one of the most populated US servers asap, as my friends play there and claim to be more populated.

Originally posted by Illudo He doesn't have to change server as The Red Eclipse is the most populated EU server out there. I've posted population numbers of the early evening, 700+ players (both factions combined) in the fleet (capital zone). If you think this means a dead server then I suggest passing up on this game and move on to WoW which surely has more.
    I mean not to be that guy, but what makes your numbers more valid then his, or anyone's for that matter? You say he is lying, and he might very well  be, but so might you.

Here

See?

I actually went in-game and used the zone info panel (/who) which gives exact numbers. So go see for yourself at the same time I did my quick survey and results will be about the same. He's saying he doesn't see anyone on Alderaan planet, yet over 150 players walk around there at early evening so go figure!

Originally posted by IG-88
    Is it possible to change server and keep your character and its progress?Id change to one of the most populated US servers asap, as my friends play there and claim to be more populated. 

Yes you can and please do so.
    I have my complaints about this game too but yours are completely invalid.
    If you take a look at the server population right now (EU prime time), TRE is on heavy status, all US on standard status, which makes sense because it's morning/early afternoon there now. Your experience will only be worse unless you play US times.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

Id change to one of the most populated US servers asap, as my friends play there and claim to be more populated.

If you take a look at the server population right now (EU prime time), TRE is on heavy status, all US on standard status, which makes sense because it's morning/early afternoon there now. Your experience will only be worse unless you play US times.

Can you tell us the difference between the amount of players on a "heavy" server and a "standard" server?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

Can you tell us the difference between the amount of players on a "heavy" server and a "standard" server?

Those are usually unclear, today very heavy might mean 5000+ players, in 2 years the criteria for very heavy might have been changed to 1000+......I am curious how many players are in SWTOR atm, but the criteria to label the population on a server is mostly a snapshot.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

Here

See?

7 pm red eclipse fleet was jam packed with several instances. Fleet is where majority of people hang out and after such a long time like any other MMO it has become very top heavy.

I am sorry but i am gonna call BS on your 25 people, in single instance claim at 6 pm. Even at 4 am GMT during weekdays i have never seen less than 150 people on fleet with several instances on Red Eclipse.

Criticising a game is one thing but to spread such blatant lies reeks of desperation.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

Here

See?

7 pm red eclipse fleet was jam packed with several instances. Fleet is where majority of people hang out and after such a long time like any other MMO it has become very top heavy.

I am sorry but i am gonna call BS on your 25 people, in single instance claim at 6 pm. Even at 4 am GMT during weekdays i have never seen less than 150 people on fleet with several instances on Red Eclipse.

Criticising a game is one thing but to spread such blatant lies reeks of desperation.

Until anyone posts proof this whole thread is going to be one person's word against another's. Your post could just as easily be a lie. Without any evidence being shown it is hard to say who is correct. Experiences also vary widely. Just because you have not seen it does not mean it is not true.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

This discussion has been closed.