Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live Forum Q&As -- What Do YOU Want to See?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hi guys,

As you may have noticed, we've been running a steady stream of "Live Forum Q&As" over the past month or so. These are essentially reddit-style AMA (Ask Me Anything) format events where we have members of a game development team or industry leaders stop by and answer your questions live for an hour or more.

I've been working with a number of developers and notable industry minds (ex. Raph Koster) to keep these rolling week to week, but I wanted to take a moment today to see if you have any preferences for games we should look into getting live Q&As for or people you'd like to see drop by and answer questions.

Any ideas? Post 'em below!

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I really liked the Raph AMA since it felt more philosophical. Id like to see interviews with writers, lead programmers, etc and less directors/producers. Its too easy for these to become advertisements rather than something real.

thanks for asking!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I'd be super interested in seeing some writers included in this (as a writer myself I'm very interested in how the writing process works with MMORPGs/MMOs and what has to be done differently). 

Smile

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Foomerang

I really liked the Raph AMA since it felt more philosophical. Id like to see interviews with writers, lead programmers, etc and less directors/producers. Its too easy for these to become advertisements rather than something real.

thanks for asking!

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I'd be super interested in seeing some writers included in this (as a writer myself I'm very interested in how the writing process works with MMORPGs/MMOs and what has to be done differently). 

Any particular game writers you'd like to hear from? If you don't know who the actual writers are, but you can think of a game that has put an emphasis on writing, we can always reach out to the developer and see if we can get a writer from the team.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by MikeB
    Any particular game writers you'd like to hear from? If you don't know who the actual writers are, but you can think of a game that has put an emphasis on writing, we can always reach out to the developer and see if we can get a writer from the team.

I would love an AMA from literally any person involved in the creative process of games made by Rockstar or Ubisoft. Seeing as how those companies are on the cusp of creating sandbox mmos for consoles, Id be really interested to read what they think about the genre right now. What they like, dont like, etc.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some of the very best, well-thought out and clearly communicated discussion and thoughts on mmorpgs comes from the devs at CCP and the lessons they've learnt with EVE Online. It's a little tricky remembering their specific names (good strong sounding Dwarf names if I'm honest!). If the industry is beginning to ride a "sandbox wave" then you'll get some good honesty from those guys if they're interested. They're also working on really interesting tech, at the risk of stretching themselves thin eg Valkyrie, WOD, DUST etc.

I agree with previous some of the producers/ceo's of some mmorpgs are really under the cosh to sell their game far and wide (stack 'em high!) so those are only going to tarnish the appeal of AMA's if not brought to heel/task.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

thanks for asking!

I agree.

What I don't want to see is a Q&A that essentially rehashes what is already being advertised on a "new" game and then a litany of "we can't talk about that now".

Because in the end that's just another advertisement.

I think having industry professionals "tell it like it is" will go a long way to (hopefully) demystify the development/creation process.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    nevermind this, there was one yesterday

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

thanks for asking!

im with Foomerang on this.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse