Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing 4 months, still having fun.

caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

I just wanted to pop in and say I am having a good time. 

Playing casually, I have a nearly geared 80 Mesmer. A thief in his 60s and a Lowby Engineer.

Leveling is not complicated, you can do it a million different ways--story, hearts, crafting, Champ farming etc

I will say this about leveling, EVERYTHING You do counts. You get experience for finding points of interest, finishing quests, crafting, World V World, harvesting--you name it, you will get experience for it.

I have yet to see all the world, and I haven't seen a fraction of all the the PVE Content and dungeons.

PvP/WvW is a lot of fun. I personally don't care much for the zerg but it can be fun for the sheer speed and trying to keep up with the group. It's made more fun if you know whats going on, rewards are great/money is good...xp is great. Some builds excel in large groups--zerg.

***It IS NOT DAOC. If you go in thinking it will be another RvR DAOC--you will be sadly disappointed. You will be disappointed because its simply not the same.

***Don't get me wrong, its a blast. But it is different.

It is it's own game. If you come in looking for the same feel, the same everything that you once had, well that is the worst form of hype you could ever give this game. It is great in its own way. I don't recommend trying WvW at a low level as you will get destroyed. But at 80, in a good spec/build, in even crappy gear, its a blast. 

Personally I find the most fun to be had, helping out in smaller scale fights, soloing, duo or small group.

The combat is great and not typical in my opinion. It takes a bit of time to get the hang of things, namely how combos work.

I find the mesmer community on the official gw2 forums to be VERY helpful. I have had people in the thief community and mesmer community reach out to me in game to offer advice on builds, gear, even having a very popular mesmer build creator meet me in pvp to give me some tips. I have never seen that in any other game.

The PvP combat is the deepest of any mmorpg I have played (Shadowbane, DAOC, SWG, WoW, AION, Warhammer)

And that's all I have for now.

I do not care to argue, discuss or make a case for the game. If you want to give it a try, great.

If you want to challenge me point for point, I couldn't care less like many a mmorpg forum troll likes to do, you are muttering to yourself.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Thanks for the update! :)

I've been playing FFXIV for about 2 months now and I'm still having a blast as well!

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Also, I think starting in the last 4months leaves people with a really good impression. The biweekly updates and constant Quality of Life improvements keep people interested.

I feel, with a few exceptions (PvP and WvW Reward systems), the game has been getting progressively better. Honestly, if they add guild halls for PvE, GvG for sPvP, and new maps (kinda-sorta incoming this year) for WvW, this game is gonna be fine for a LONG time to come.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    already playing for about 6 months,im super casual,in a pretty big wvw guild,almost have full gear :) uhmm im having a blast as well. i guess this game is really for the casual player only.  

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

Originally posted by Vorch
    [mod edit]

Also, I think starting in the last 4months leaves people with a really good impression. The biweekly updates and constant Quality of Life improvements keep people interested.

I feel, with a few exceptions (PvP and WvW Reward systems), the game has been getting progressively better. Honestly, if they add guild halls for PvE, GvG for sPvP, and new maps (kinda-sorta incoming this year) for WvW, this game is gonna be fine for a LONG time to come.

I agree. I see trends like this with a lot of the AAA mmos now. It seems devs are finding the balance they need to keep these themeparks fresh.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Honestly, I was just happy to see another happy gamer. I never said I enjoyed my game more lol. Sheesh. I like reading posts about people enjoying themselves because I am too. Just because its a different game does that mean its the enemy or something? I dont get that.

[mod edit]

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I leveled my mesmer from 12 through max almost entirely in WvW and Eternal Battlegrounds. Yes, it is a bit tough but can be done and is challenging.  Since then I've been playing my mesmer almost every day in Eternal Battlegrounds. I simply love WvW and we are soon to get a new map.  Lots to like.

It is odd because initially I was only going to play this game for the PvE. In other games I had never done anything but PvE.  Back around launch I was chatting in game about how I disliked PvP games because they are always filled with elitist snob types and it is all trash talk.  Well, of course, some of that is still around but in large part the PvP part of the game is filled with friendly people and it is lots of fun.  Not being able to see your opponent or communicate with them was a terrific decision. It helped get rid of that attitude. You can still party with the opposition and I have many times but not just shout in chat to the opposition.  These days I do very little PvE and since I returned to LOTRO to prepare for the Helm's Deep expansion, I've started to wonder if I actually prefer the PvE in LOTRO now. I'm loving Rohan and "landscape quests" and riding my war-steed.

Regardless, GW2 is an immensely fun game I recommend anyone to try.  It is b2p.  I hope more games go this route and we see the death of sub games.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Glad you are enjoying yourself!  I am coming back for the Halloween event myself. May actually join a guild this time around instead of being a loner. Game has a lot to offer but I limited myself by playing solo (Which led to a bunch of max level alts and boredom).

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Glad you are having a good time. Unfortunately for longevity the game is Over when you hit the cap,(for most of us). Just nothing to login for, and once again in a game the crafting is worthless. Btw I have 3 80s and lvl 400 0n every craft so don't tell me I don't have a feel for the game...just my opinion. And as to game "bashing", we are simply voicing an opinion on the success, or lack thereof of each of the games.I want to hear BOTH good and bad.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

[mod edit]

Glad you are enjoying GW2. I personally dislike end game MMORPG so for me the lack of gear progression at max level isn't a big deal like to so many others. My issue is more that the game just lacks challenge. I also disagree pretty strongly with you OP that it has deep PvP. GW2 is a fun enough game, it just seems more like a beer and pretzels MMORPG when most of the time I want something deeper.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by bentrim
    Glad you are having a good time. Unfortunately for longevity the game is Over when you hit the cap,(for most of us). Just nothing to login for, and once again in a game the crafting is worthless. Btw I have 3 80s and lvl 400 0n every craft so don't tell me I don't have a feel for the game...just my opinion. And as to game "bashing", we are simply voicing an opinion on the success, or lack thereof of each of the games.I want to hear BOTH good and bad.

I will tell you don't have a feel for the game.  3 of those crafting disciplines go to 500 and are the best chance at getting ascended weapons.  It may be that it has been a while since you have been in game so apparently you lost the feel.  :) 

On "bashing" the game, point me to the person that will give me a 100% unbiased opinion and I may listen.  :) 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Played 4 hours, felt like pulling teeth out. Well more so 2 hours but it doesn't really match the '4' number in title.

None the less, we all have different tastes and its good this game manages to do such. No where near a great game but still I'm sure there are some it will satisfy. Just like I have 'meh' games I greatly enjoy, GW2 might be yours. :)

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Glad you liking it OP. I'm with you, WvW is a blast. I haven't played DAoC so I didn't have any predispositions on what WvW was. I just thought of it as an open world PvP, similar to WoW, but only in it's own area. And three faction wars help keep it fresh. Also, if you're going hardcore in WvW, join a dedicated WvW guild who does voice comms. I'm on one right now ([MEND] in Isle of Janthir), and the tactics are deliciously entertaining.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

glad to hear it OP

I've been playing since release and I still have fun. I don't play it as often as I used to but that's ok with me.

In general mmorpgs are terrible games so for me lasting this long with one is an achievement in itself.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Newsflash: Man likes game and say's he doesn't care about anyone else's opinion on that....

So, whats the point of this post then? 

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by bentrim

I'm in the same boat. I put over 500 hours into the game, I'm ready to move on. I have two level 80s, all crafting maxed out. I could grind for ascended armor, but that's not my cup of tea. I'm just yearning for some exploration, to see new lands. Personally, I miss quests. I miss the old MMO standards, something ArenaNet has little concern for. It's not to say it's a bad game, but it's not a game I can play for years - like the old one. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i am having a blast with my brand new mesmer (lvl 25 already).

In fact, last night i felt nostalgic and installed my Guild Wars Trilogy disc and started Prophecies. The more i play the more i love the GW Lore.

Having a great time on both gw1 and 2. Wont need other mmos for a long time until i finish all 4 campaigns on GW1 and finish all i havent seen from GW2.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    You should have put in your title " Only people that like the game read ". Your whole post was great till the end where you throw up your fists and try to shut down " Muttering ". Cause ya couldnt care less /chuckle
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Agree fully with OP. However ... had a lot of fan for 3 or 4 months .... love all, especially combat ... but started to much to miss old good quest hubs and moving to new area when ready .... At some point to level class quests have found I dislike a lot constant jumping from heart to heart, doing lower level hearts just for xp, .... Do not have single maxed out alt but have 8 between 30 and 50 as I remember from last time have played.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I've been playing since pre-Beta and am still having a blast. Probably the only "complaint" I'd have (in quotes, not a real complaint) is that sometimes I log in and can't decide what to do. The reason... there's always new stuff being added, yet I love the WvW as well, so it's tough to get in everything. I'm not complaining that they're adding too much stuff, that's rarely a bad thing. I just can't always decide whether to do the new stuff or the old.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

If you dare to post something positive on these forums, you will always have a couple of people who will come just to rain on your parade, aka pee in your cheerios. Some people just enjoy trying to make others feel miserable.

Don't let that ruin your enjoyment of the game. GW2 is an awesome MMORPG, and finally something of AAA quality and different from all the WoW clones.

My computer is better than yours.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    grats...
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

After over a year I still play GW2 and still enjoy it, I have taken some breaks during that time due to other games and IRL issues, but that's the beauty of GW2, I can log in whenever I like without paying a sub fee.

Sure I have missed some of those temp conent patches but for me It's not a big deal really, I can always look foward to others.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• JamezJayzJamezJayz Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Played it for 1 or 2 days and was bored to death.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by JamezJayz

Played it for 1 or 2 days and was bored to death.

Why?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.