Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 sale today...is it worth it?

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

For only 30 dollars it's definitely worth it, although I personally consider GW2 to be one of the worst MMOs I've played (story and combat were plain bad imho). Tastes are different though and maybe you'll like it. I didn't but I still don't regret buying and playing it.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Folks who found the personal stories cheesy sound to me like they played humans.   I found the Charr, Norn, and Asuri lines to be pretty amusing.  I thought I would like the Sylvari, but ended up not caring as much for it.  But the human parts had that generic feel of being designed by numbers, for people who like that sort of thing.

I think GW2 is worth that price, though as some of the money goes to NCSoft, I won't cry if you decide not to jump on it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108

Buy it, it's fucking cheap and you don't have to pay a subscription. What do you have to lose?

The game is great.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Elquin

I've been playing since shortly after release (over a year) and have a max level of every class and profession. I continue to enjoy it and even though I've done map completion on multiple characters, I still find new and exciting things in the game. GW2 is in constant development with "Living-Story" content coming out every 2 weeks, which is major! The content is huge compared to regular MMO releases and keeps new  and fresh gameplay coming in constantly. 

I've played just about every MMO currently out there... I've never had as much fun in any of them compared to GW2. 

If you're concerned about the story, don't be! Those trash talking the story probably skip through cut-scenes and don't take the time to do some exploration on their own without game mechanics to hold their hands. Story is not lacking at all... there's a whole universe of content coming from the original GW1 and on. I've also read the GW2 novels and it's fun to compare things in the novels to what's in the game.

ArenaNet is working really hard to provide content for EVERY type of player. Most of the recent releases have shown quite a variety that goes outside what we're used to in GW2. 

Most definitely worth $30. It's a game that I love and I'm sure you will too.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the game.

A+. This is mostly how I feel about the game. This game has so much more than any other game for almost 1/2 the price and it is always evolving. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by iridescence

I play elementalist and hate trying to melee. I have fun as long as I stay at range with elementalist but they really are the traditional glass cannon mage i.e. you want to get hit as little as possible unless you like dying. I'd definitely recommend  guardian more if you want your battle-mage to have even a bit of tankiness.

I'd compare GW2 to Skyrim regarding to my reaction to it. First few hours, it seems like the greatest game ever made. Soon though I start to notice that it's not really as deep as it appears at first. I find both games still fun after that point if you can accept them for what they are and not be too mad that they kind of trick you.

Another similarity is that both were very almost obnoxiously overhyped and GW2 didn't deliver on a lot of the grandiose promises it made so that's where some people's anger towards it comes from I think. As a new player going into it now, that won't be an issue for you.

You do know there are a  defensive trait line called earth and you can have gear with power, toughness and vitality in it to not be as squishy as power precision critical damage gear.

Sure you wont do as much damage but you wont be dying easy either, its a trade off.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    compared to any other single player console game you could buy for that price (or more) its certainly worth it.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Or wait for trial weekend to test it before buy to game if you not in hurry. Few weeks ago ANET did free trial weekend for everyone, who want to try game. I think they did more than 1 trial weekend, just wait and test yourself..

Or find a friend to test to game on his/her account?

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Seriously, it's $30 for unlimited access to an AAA class MMORPG where you can come back to anytime at no cost.

Why even hesitate?

My computer is better than yours.

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I'd wait for a free trial.  In the mean time, there are free to play MMOs (Not Tor!). 

I think the issue with GW2 is that mileage varies for everyone drastically, almost more so than other MMOs.  It could be worth the $30, but it might not, if that makes sense.  Hence, I would wait for a free trial.  It will happen eventually. 

I'd save the money for now or put it towards a game from GoG and play a free to play game.  It is your choice. 

Personally, I think that if saving $30 is a major concern for you, then video games aren't something you should even consider, and you should put priority in trying to find a decent job first.

If you're an adult with a good job, then paying $30 for a game which will give you hundreds of hours of entertainment should not be a problem.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Not everyone wants to throw money at a game they might not like when there are tons of options out there for free. Just because I can afford something doesn't mean I'm obligated to do it. Throwing away money is just foolish no matter what your status in life.

The game is definitely worth $30 if you don't mind how dumbed down it is and how at every turn it goes out of its way to make sure you aren't challenged. It is like playing a sterilized version of an MMORPG. It is fun for a bit but most people aren't going to stick with it long term.

Millions of people throw away $15 at movies they don't like, or at books. Video games are not different. Entertainment products will always involve the risk of you not liking them.

And I'd love to know why my block list isn't working anymore. Web site bug, most likely.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Like the OP, I am one of the other 10 people on the planet that has taken a wait and see for this.......My impression of the game is that it is a short term game that is fun but offers little in the way of accomplishing anything.....I've read so many posts on this game where people said "Its a great game for a month then I quit"......Well even for 30 bucks a MMO isnt worth that.....Sounds like the combat and world vs world PVP is a total fail.

This is pretty spot on.

The leveling process in this game is great. The world is amazing graphically and leveling is painlessly easy but very enjoyable. The problem with the game lies when you get to 80. The really cool features of the game like World vs World and World Bosses are almost unplayable, the game engine simply can not handle more than 20 people in the same location at one time.

I don't like the combat mechanics of the game either. Stealth is absurdly overpowered as there is no stealth detection. It's almost impossible to kill a thief, either he kills you or he runs away since there's no way for you to see him. sPvP itself is also innately boring and uninteresting, think Arathi Basin with less people, slower movement, and lengthy fights that don't always have a winner.

If you're a PvE guy that enjoys leveling in a new environment full of wonderful graphics, music, and mini-stories, the game is worth a go. If you're a PvP guy, don't bother, gw2 is probably the worst game for that style of play on the market.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

the game engine simply can not handle more than 20 people in the same location at one time

I have certainly not experienced this. It does struggle in those 100 on 100 zergs in WvWvW but it does fine with 30 or 40 players on screen.

Millions of people throw away $15 at movies they don't like

But I would hope they at least get an idea if they would like the movie before spending $15 on it. There are so many options out there for video games that researching something before you spend $30 seems normal to me, not like someone being cheap and certainly not someone I would tell to go get a better job.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I didn't care for the game, but I still got my monies worth out of it. I can jump in and play anytime I want. That alone is justification to buy it if you can get it on sale.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

whats scary is that's only $10 more than an Ewok ... for an ENTIRE GAME ... lol

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DMKano

I payed $70 for a game I played for about 90 hours. 

I never went back after the first month, I just dislike the lack of progression, I learned that in a big way. I thought that I'd love horizontal progression, turns out I grew tired of it really quick.

Biggest turn off for me was no new skills to look or look forward to as you level up, all weapon skills unlock very early and its done. 

Also at max level my character didn't feel all that much more powerful (relative to NPCs) as he did at lvl 5.

I play games to develop a character that will kick butt when maxed out, didn't feel that in GW2, also the fact that automatic scaling down made even lower level areas slow to kill in at max level - no thanks.

Sometimes things sound great in theory.

This is a pretty good point.

A lot of people completely miss what GW2 is all about when they consider getting the game. It isn't about quest Hubs, or creating a character  that will just be insanely powerful at max lvl. It isn't about grinding for better & better loot.

Unfortunately, it does a pretty poor job of showing you this at earlier lvls. In an attempt to ease-in WoW players to the game, they disguised the lower lvl content to seem more like WoW, and as you start to play more of the game, most people realize that it's a very different type of game.

If you like exploring, prefer character customization over character progression, enjoy doing side-quests etc. just for fun, or very well balanced PvP; then this is a good game to pick up. Especially for 30$. The content updates alone make it worth it, as I don't think Ive yet to play another MMO that has matched Anet's pacing in adding new stuff to the game.

That said, the game isn't perfect. Things like the main storyline are hit or miss (some are terribad, other parts quite good, and the ending is still a major dissapointment). However it does do a lot of things right, It's definitely a game best enjoyed by people who prefer exploration & customization & skill-based combat above all else.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

OP

as for my self.I felt duped.I bought it because I thought the WvW was going to be world class and that the company really cared about it.I was wrong on both counts.

The WvsWvsW is a joke, I agree. I didn't feel duped though, I played beta and knew what I was buying when I bought it. I treated it like a console game, max level a couple characters, get the best gear possible, then quit because it was so casual. I knew it was just a game I'd play a month or two. The WvsWvsW was the worse part of the game and it was the part that made me interested in the game to start with, which was sad, once I found out it was just an instanced joke of zerging/terrible culling mess, obviously put together by people that haven't a clue what good open pvp is.

If you're a casual player and enjoy pve though, $30 isn't bad.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The only joke about the WvWvW is the insane queues.

Battlemage?

Elementalist and get conjure lightning hammer.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56

To OP,

Like many people said, the main story part of GW2 is hit or miss, some are good some are pretty boring.  That being said you can actually find a lot of interesting side stories if you pay attention to npc conversation in the world.

Whether you will enjoy the game or not based on what type of players you are, it seems people who like trinity and character progression in gears etc really do not  like GW2, while people who like exploring, non-trinity combat, character customization etc really do enjoy gw2.  Also I find GW2 is more enjoyable if you are a pvx player as it has a good balance of pve content and pvp content.

There are many ways you can play a battlemage role, you can play a dagger/dagger elementalist that focus on close-quarter combat, or you can play a guardian (but it's more paladin).

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    On a side note, I have 1500 hours played between my two lvl 80's. I've spent about 60$ on the cash shop since launch on vanity items for me an my wife. I also still play Spvp and WvW pretty actively so it was worth the money. 

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Personally, I think that if saving $30 is a major concern for you, then video games aren't something you should even consider, and you should put priority in trying to find a decent job first.

If you're an adult with a good job, then paying $30 for a game which will give you hundreds of hours of entertainment should not be a problem.

Some people are just savvy with their money, and who is to say that they would get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of the game? There are lots of people that didn't. Taste in games varies. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by Sajman01
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Like the OP, I am one of the other 10 people on the planet that has taken a wait and see for this.......My impression of the game is that it is a short term game that is fun but offers little in the way of accomplishing anything.....I've read so many posts on this game where people said "Its a great game for a month then I quit"......Well even for 30 bucks a MMO isnt worth that.....Sounds like the combat and world vs world PVP is a total fail.

This is pretty spot on.

The leveling process in this game is great. The world is amazing graphically and leveling is painlessly easy but very enjoyable. The problem with the game lies when you get to 80. The really cool features of the game like World vs World and World Bosses are almost unplayable, the game engine simply can not handle more than 20 people in the same location at one time.

I don't like the combat mechanics of the game either. Stealth is absurdly overpowered as there is no stealth detection. It's almost impossible to kill a thief, either he kills you or he runs away since there's no way for you to see him. sPvP itself is also innately boring and uninteresting, think Arathi Basin with less people, slower movement, and lengthy fights that don't always have a winner.

If you're a PvE guy that enjoys leveling in a new environment full of wonderful graphics, music, and mini-stories, the game is worth a go. If you're a PvP guy, don't bother, gw2 is probably the worst game for that style of play on the market.

I have never had problems playing GW2 because of the number of players in one area. /shrug  

As far as stealth goes, almost any game that has that skill has "issues" with it. Look at WoW and the OP rogue. Heck, just play a thief if it is such a huge problem.

IMHO, GW2s PvP is on par with any other game out there. I would place WoW's mechanics on top of all mmorpgs and then GW2 next. 

I do agree with your PvE comment. The game has the best and most unique world setting out.

And as I said before, OP this is worth the money no matter if you like the PvP or not, the PvE alone is worth the money. Not to dis FFXIV ARR, but I paid the same for the game and there is a sub tacked onto that. FFXIV offers no PvP yet, and GW2s PvE is more unique. (this was not a hate on ARR, I like it but was using it for comparisons).

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Some people are just savvy with their money, and who is to say that they would get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of the game? There are lots of people that didn't. Taste in games varies. 

You are right. But I bet a dollar to a doughnut that if the OP looks to his left or right while at his desk, he will see no less than 20 or 30 console games setting on a shelf that he hasn't played in months. And when he did play them they were for less than 20 hours total each. As you say taste in a game varies, so unless he tries it he will never know for sure.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Ender4

the game engine simply can not handle more than 20 people in the same location at one time

I have certainly not experienced this. It does struggle in those 100 on 100 zergs in WvWvW but it does fine with 30 or 40 players on screen.

Most people I've seen who say things like that either have a bad computer or are Australian. :(

I do fine even in the really big zergs in WvW.  Certainly better than many of the older MMOs I played where the game would be shuddering to a near halt. :/

That's a problem with ANY MMO, really, the more people you get, the more lag you're going to get.

A good computer and a close/good internet connection can fix a lot of it, but not all.

People who are having problems with 20 people on screen ,that's definitely on them, though. :/  Bad computer.  Or internet.  One of the two.

Well, you could be slow because you're torrenting or something, but really that's just a flavor of bad internet.  (Good internet but acting bad due to how you're using it)