Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 sale today...is it worth it?

Comments

• RiversdaleRiversdale Member UncommonPosts: 20

I think the elementalist would fit a battlemage type figure though they only wear light armour.

They can use staffs, daggers, scepters and a focus as weapons.

They can only use one weapon set at a time during combat (most other classes can switch between two) but they can change their elemental attunement which gives you different types of spells for each weapon - fire for DPS + burning, lightening for DPS + control, earth for DoT and defense, and water for healing and support.  

They have long range spells using a staff, medium range with a scepter/focus, and up close and personal spells utilizing daggers.

It's got lots to do on your way to max level if you like exploring a beautiful environment (It even looks great on the lowest setttings I have to use due to my rubbish computer) and something new to try every couple of weeks. Also you might enjoy some of the jumping puzzles seeing how you like tomb raider. 

For $30 I'd say go for it.

If you're on the US servers then I'd recommend Tarnished Coast or Piken Square for the EU servers.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I easily got $50 worth of enjoyment from it. You should be able to get $30 worth.   

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Op

If you like pve games ..perhaps you might want to consider it

if you expect great crafting

if you expect great server vs server conflict

forget every buying the game

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

OP - I know what you're thinking, "Will this game finally be the one?" 

The answer is no. If you've played one post WoW mmo, you've played them all.

Wait 2 more months for EQ Next Landmark which will usher in the next gen of mmos. Plus it will be free to play.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121
    Wait for the next free trial OP. I bought the game, certain that it would be a blast, only to submit a request for a refund the very same day. I thought it was very shoddy.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Yes it's worth it, it's good your getting it, the closest thing to a battle mage is Guardian seeing as what you want.

Another thing, this wont be a waste of money and also you can play this great MMORPG alongside other great MMORPGs which maybe EQN will be one so yea. 

Hope you enjoy it lad.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

It can be fun and it is the highest quality MMORPG to be released in years so it probably is worth spending $30 on. It isn't a great game that is going to be your next love most likley though. They made a lot of design choices that don't work for a lot of people.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

as for my self.I felt duped.I bought it because I thought the WvW was going to be world class and that the company really cared about it.I was wrong on both counts.

• StarryEyedGamerStarryEyedGamer Member Posts: 21

@RizelStar Haha, thanks, but I'm a female image

Hmm. I did look up Everquest Next and it does look very good and something I'd enjoy, too.

*sigh*

I feel like I'm on the dividing line between next-gen mmos that are only in beta / in development versus older ones.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
    -Marcel Proust

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Like the OP, I am one of the other 10 people on the planet that has taken a wait and see for this.......My impression of the game is that it is a short term game that is fun but offers little in the way of accomplishing anything.....I've read so many posts on this game where people said "Its a great game for a month then I quit"......Well even for 30 bucks a MMO isnt worth that.....Sounds like the combat and world vs world PVP is a total fail.
  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    For those of you still on the fence. You can probably catch some live streams on Twitch of people playing endgame content like WvW, sPvP, and dungeons. That might help demonstrate what combat is like.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

.I've read so many posts on this game where people said "Its a great game for a month then I quit"

I really wouldn't listen to those people unless you play like 60 hours a week or something. The game has a couple hundred hours of entertainment in it for most players. It also has no subscription so if you set it down for a few months you can come back and level a new character and enjoy it again at some point. I think it offers more than enough gameplay for $30 with no future fee.

But it isn't a game that you are going to play for years to come unless you happen to just totally love the PvP (which I don't).

• DvaderDvader Member Posts: 15
    Since ur newish to mmo's, i'd say it would be a good learning experience from  the most popular mmorpg for  months ongoing. Alot of people like it, alot of people dont, if it seems like somthing u'd enjoy playing go for it, test it out  and make ur own decisions. Get a good guild and u'll enjoy ur game time way more. My guilds are the main reason i enjoy playing mmorpg's. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by StarryEyedGamer

I feel like I'm on the dividing line between next-gen mmos that are only in beta / in development versus older ones.

There are always MMORPGs in development.  Furthermore, there are always people who think that the ones in development are better, because we aren't yet aware of all of the flaws in the game.  If you ever want to play an MMORPG, then at some point, you have to just try one.  And you have to try one that is already out, not one still in development, as you can't play the latter yet.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I play elementalist and hate trying to melee. I have fun as long as I stay at range with elementalist but they really are the traditional glass cannon mage i.e. you want to get hit as little as possible unless you like dying. I'd definitely recommend  guardian more if you want your battle-mage to have even a bit of tankiness.

I'd compare GW2 to Skyrim regarding to my reaction to it. First few hours, it seems like the greatest game ever made. Soon though I start to notice that it's not really as deep as it appears at first. I find both games still fun after that point if you can accept them for what they are and not be too mad that they kind of trick you.

Another similarity is that both were very almost obnoxiously overhyped and GW2 didn't deliver on a lot of the grandiose promises it made so that's where some people's anger towards it comes from I think. As a new player going into it now, that won't be an issue for you.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

@RizelStar Haha, thanks, but I'm a female image

Hmm. I did look up Everquest Next and it does look very good and something I'd enjoy, too.

*sigh*

Ohh ha ha sorry about that and yea I got my eye on EQN as well seems to have things I like, I hope I get to beta test it though cause with MMORPG's I tend to only buy them if I can beta test(GW2 I  tried it at an expo).

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    One of the worst mmos I have ever played. Only lasted 4 days before I could no longer force my self to log on. 
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Hi, all! image

I've been weighing the pros and cons of Guild Wars 2 for a while now, and I just can't decide if it's worth it or not.

It's on sale today only for $30, which is pretty decent considering it's usually $50. This is the Heroic Edition, by the way.

I've always played console games, particularly those of the adventure / action / platformer / survival genres.

As an FYI, my favorite console games so far are: Zelda: Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword,  American McGee's Alice series,  Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim, Uncharted series, Tomb Raider trilogy and 2013 reboot, The Last of Us, and Resident Evil series.

I do play lesser known titles as well, though.

* I think story is needed in order to introduce you to the game, as well as the environment your character is immersed in. Otherwise, why should you care?

* Cutscenes and dialogue aid to this tremendously, in my opinion. But cutscenes are not necessary.

* I'm more interested in PVE than PVP--though I'll certainly try PVP from time to time.

* A fantasy-esque setting is a must, as I love to feel in awe of the environment and colors.

* A community that is filled with helpful, friendly people. And the ability to find the right guild for me.

* A sense of accomplishment, and feeling like my character actually aids to the story/universe.

* The characters ideally would be a mixture of realistic and cartoon--kind of like Legend of Zelda characters, or Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite.

So, is this the right MMO for me, or should I wait for a new one, such as EverQuest Next? image

Edit: In games with the ability to, I usually am a Battlemage, meaning a sword or staff in one hand and spells in the other. That way I can kill enemies up close, ranged, or a combination if I want.

Does GW2 have a class that fits that?

I'd say GW2 fills about half of your requirements.  

The three that it doesn't fill would be

Story:  It's about as poorly done as a story can be.  Cheesy and overly-simplistic.

Cutscenes and dialogue.  The cutscenes are a joke.  Laughably bad in the way they present the story.  To the point of being lazy.  The sad thing is, The Guild Wars story is actually pretty interesting.  Tyria lore is solid.  But this game does a terrible job of presenting it.  As far as dialogue, the most interesting dialogue you will hear is from eavesdropping npcs while in cities.  The dialogue they give you in the quest chains are terrible.  

Sense of accomplishment---forget about this one, too.  Aside from map completion and meaningless achievements, ArenaNet doesn't want any special little snowflakes in their game.  Gear doesn't mean anything, money is easy to come by, and after around level 30ish, there really isn't any vertical progression for your character.  And despite Arenanet's claims, your character has little to no impact on the game world.  

Still, is it worth $30?  Yes, I'd say it is.  Beautiful game world and environments, fun exploration, and enough there to keep you busy from level 1-80.  I found little to no desire to stick around after level 80, and had to really force myself to log on after level 40 or so, but the great-looking gameworld and goal of map completion kept me interested until level cap.  So, even paying full price, I'd say I got my money's worth.  I just found the gameplay and "living world" temporary content far too lacking compared to other MMOs to continue playing. 

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

As has been said, the story sucks.  On par with cheap Eastern F2P games.  (Except for anything involving the Charr).

I don't think GW2 is worth $50 anymore.  It's far better to spend that money on a modable single-player game like the Skyrim Legendary Edition.

For $30 it's worth it.  There is that much value in the PvE, and probably more than that is you get on a server for WvW (despite Anet driving WvW into the ground).

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

I don't think the story is as bad as they say above though those are some pretty fair reviews too. To add to that the story in almost every MMORPG is just bad as is the dialog, GW2 is just more of the same.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    No, worst MMO, I ve played in years, without a doubt.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Best entertainment value out there imho. I play other games and when I get bored or tired of paying a sub, I just move over to "MY" GW2 and play. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

@OP

Ignore what haters say.  Ignore what fans say.    Choose for yourself.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    You will get your 30$ worth most definetly

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

I've been playing since shortly after release (over a year) and have a max level of every class and profession. I continue to enjoy it and even though I've done map completion on multiple characters, I still find new and exciting things in the game. GW2 is in constant development with "Living-Story" content coming out every 2 weeks, which is major! The content is huge compared to regular MMO releases and keeps new  and fresh gameplay coming in constantly. 

I've played just about every MMO currently out there... I've never had as much fun in any of them compared to GW2. 

If you're concerned about the story, don't be! Those trash talking the story probably skip through cut-scenes and don't take the time to do some exploration on their own without game mechanics to hold their hands. Story is not lacking at all... there's a whole universe of content coming from the original GW1 and on. I've also read the GW2 novels and it's fun to compare things in the novels to what's in the game.

ArenaNet is working really hard to provide content for EVERY type of player. Most of the recent releases have shown quite a variety that goes outside what we're used to in GW2. 

Most definitely worth $30. It's a game that I love and I'm sure you will too.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the game.

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.