Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Common Misconception about SWG: It actually Contained "Themeparks"

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ender4

There hasn't been a true sandbox MMORPG yet and no EVE isn't one either.

Yeah! It's not a true sandbox until you can first create the universe. Damn posers and their fake sandbox games. ><

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Hokie

Sandbox - Is the player making a majority of the choices on how to play the game.

Really? I was under the impression it meant I could Terraform the landscape to how I see fit, a la Minecraft.

Was SWG anything like Minecraft in that regard?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

No but people on these forums have been especially bad at calling SWG a Themepark game, and claiming its nota real Sandbox because it featured SOME linear content. 

That only comes from purists. Much like those that claim the way a game can be only PvP is if its 100% PvP.

Cant count how many times I have stated I wanted open world PvP only to be jumped on by those that believe I am asking for everyone to be flagged PvP 100% of the time. Its like, no...I am asking to be able to flag for PvP anywhere and fight anywhere...only for the argument to start at the beginning again.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Actually, THE most common misconception about SWG was that it was doing fine pre CU/NGE....

And the SECOND most common misconception is that SWG was doing horribly before CU hit. The bloom was off the rose and many former players were off checking out the newly-launched WoW and EQ2, yes. But all that histrionics about "tens of thousands of players are abandoning SWG every day!" was a steaming load.  It was still one of the bigger MMOs, it just wasn't pulling WoW numbers; that's what was ticking off LucasArts.

It certainly wasn't doing horrible, but it was indeed losing subs. CU/NGE wasnt simply to "get wow numbers".

Hence, we are now full circle back to the most common misconception ;)

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by deniromonk

It certainly wasn't doing horrible, but it was indeed losing subs. CU/NGE wasnt simply to "get wow numbers".

Hence, we are now full circle back to the most common misconception ;)

I suspect that most MMO games spend the bulk of their operating lifetimes in the state of "losing subs" (what goes up must come down). But there is quite a chasm between simply losing subs and losing so many so fast that drastic corrective action is necessary. The latter was the justification given for CU/NGE, and I just didn't see it. Some changes were called for and indeed were in progress in early 2005. Then someone evidently panicked, tossed out the changes in progress and re-wrote them to impose a level-based system that broke quite a lot of things. And the downward spiral accelerated...

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Hokie

Sandbox - Is the player making a majority of the choices on how to play the game.

Really? I was under the impression it meant I could Terraform the landscape to how I see fit, a la Minecraft.

Was SWG anything like Minecraft in that regard?

Unlike most "modern" MMOs, yes... players could affect the game world in a number of ways: setting up houses, organizing player cities (with shuttleports, town halls and more), putting down harvesters, deploying faction bases full of NPCs, and many other things.  Plus, in the early days, there were "story arcs" that depending on which faction (rebel or empire) completed the most arcs, gained a bonus to how many GCW points were earned.  On top of that, several of the static NPC faction bases could be turned, depending on which faction could "take it over".

So yes, there were things players could and did do to change how the game world was, on a day to day basis.

Compare that to TOR, where the players couldn't change or affect anything, ever.