Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Far and away the game I am most Anticipating!

jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150
Crafting PvP Sandbox....  everything I have wanted and maybe more!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Comments

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Glad you are looking forward to it! You are not alone. ;)

However, a 'pure' sandbox this is not likely to be, but instead a game with multiple 'boxes.' To quote MJ:

"..you cannot spell sandbox without the word box (well, you can try but don’t enter a “spelling bee” and hope to win it) and as such, there will be multiple boxes in this game to help ensure that things can’t get too far out of balance. In some cases, it will be a very large box (such as RvR); in other cases, it may be a very small box (such as the class/skill systems) as needed for balance, overall gameplay enjoyment, and, of course, practicality."

In attempting to capture the Holy Trinity-style "rock/paper/scissors" dynamic, CSE has decided to employ a sandbox approach where it is best-suited and eschew it for those places it is not. It will be interesting to see how this works out in the final game. It seems that apart from character progression and class balance, the majority of the game will be very sandbox-y (i.e. RvR, crafting, building, mining, etc.)

My most anticipated game of the forever. 

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Yeah I'm looking forward to this one as well, hope it turns out good.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Rvr is its own thing, its certainly not the sandbox style of pvp from eve, uo etc... but its not your typical themepark system of instanced mini games either. True rvr games like daoc & planetside probably belong in their own category.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Yeah, the MMO market is getting large enough now to start getting some sub-genera's.

I"m waiting semi-patiently as well.

they should have pay-pal reopened in a week or two. Hope I can finally get into their forums.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    same here,in theory CU looking perfect ,only what dislike is fantasy setting but  I'll adapt.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    How can one be excited when you know who is responsible for the decision making for Camelot Unchained...and you see what catastrophic decisions he made that destroyed the last game he managed and nearly killed the  one before that ?
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    How can one be excited when you know who is responsible for the decision making for Camelot Unchained...and you see what catastrophic decisions he made that destroyed the last game he managed and nearly killed the  one before that ?

Regardless of the past, which MJ has already spoken about and taken responsibility for, people are excited for the IDEA that finally someone is willing to take a chance on a game and make it great. Everyone is sick and tired of these played-out, mainstream, hand holding, Fisher Price MMORPGs. Give me a game with some difficulty. Allow the skillful to survive and prosper. 

I can't wait. I just hope that roaming solo, or in small groups, will be viable in this game. I've always hated how every MMORPG does OWPvP so horribly wrong. Don't make people go fight in certain places, make the whole area a pertinent battleground lush with resources so you'll have those people risking it all to farm certain areas, etc. I always loved jumping unsuspecting players who were mining a node or camping an item. :D

Geoff Hickman was in charge of warhammer, Marc Jacobs was just shoved in the basement and told to do some crafting stuff.
    Besides I found war a decent enough game. Was certainly the best pvp of games released around its era, it had nice art too. There were some dodgy decisions with how disjointed the world was - personally I would have left high elves and dark elves out of it and gone wood elves vs beasts of chaos, that way the whole game could have been in the old world and seamless. But still I found it more fun than all the other post wow, wow like games in that it at least tried to do something different with pvp being the main focus, and other stuff like pqs and the tok.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Besides I found war a decent enough game. Was certainly the best pvp of games released around its era, it had nice art too. There were some dodgy decisions with how disjointed the world was - personally I would have left high elves and dark elves out of it and gone wood elves vs beasts of chaos, that way the whole game could have been in the old world and seamless. But still I found it more fun than all the other post wow, wow like games in that it at least tried to do something different with pvp being the main focus, and other stuff like pqs and the tok.

Yeah WAR failed because it was PvP "focused" with some crappy PVE tacked on. CU will be 99% PvP, with economy, crafting, and dungeons BASED on PvP. That's what other MMO's with "PvP" are missing. You can't have a good PVE AND good PVP without one suffering. That's a fact, and a fundamental rule of the universe.

It's great to see a game going out a limb and telling players that if they don't want a PvP game, then don't sign up. IT's about time someone is willing to focus a game rather than try and please the masses.

I disagree, daoc managed to have both good pvp and good pve.
  • SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I thought EA Games was to blame for its downfall, and not MJ. 

I am looking forward to this game! DAoC with its small hickups was very balanced overall. For so many years it brought many players a taste in their mouth thats hard to reproduce. RvR/PvP was always a strong suit of DAoC and I expect them to come through in Camelot Unchained.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    I disagree, daoc managed to have both good pvp and good pve.

Yes, but this is an anomaly and most likely not possible in this age of MMOs. The same model would be very unlikely to work because of the progression the genre has seen. People's expectations are sky high these days and the PvP of DAoC, while very fun in it's own time, would probably be rejected today. As someone else pointed out, it's just so nice to see a company build a game FOR RvR and design the whole game around it. WoW is a prime example of why it doesn't work anymore to have both PvP and PvE. The balance is under a microscope and at the end of the day, you have to pick a favorite which leaves the other to be ruined.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Same here, by far the most excited I've been about game in a long time. It has all that I'm looking for in an mmorpg.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I do not feel this one will have something different that the habitual features we can expect from a MMO, I think you are putting an exaggerated hope on this one.

• SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34

Not really. If you've played Dark Age of Camelot even a little you will notice they understand PvP. I have not found a game that even compares to it's RvR/PvP and i've played everything from EQ/EQ2 - Vanguard - Age of Conan - WoW - others.. I would often spend hours in PvP/RvR and not be bored when DAoC first came out. It's 3-realm pvp was why I played it. I guess right now its all heresay until a beta comes out, but MJ was a core component to DAoC's success and I have no reason right now to downplay CU. If you havn't played DAoC or researched it at all you probably won't know this games potential imo.