Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking at this build

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I already have 8-16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a decent optical drive

I prefer to shop local and not hassle with rebates or possible RMA shipping returns. That's why I'm shopping Micro Center. Fry's is also an option buuutt Fry's deals rely on dealing with their draconian rebate rules.

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OEM  $139   Win 8? Not gonna happen

Case - Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 ATX Computer Case $60

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Socket LGA 1155 Boxed P $250

Yes, I know it's third generation. Going fourth generation adds $50 + $100-$200 for a motherboard

3rd generation I7 over 4th generation I5 because it has 8 MB 3rd level cache and hyperthreading.

*Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Socket LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel $100    still 3rd generation

*Power Supply - Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Powe $85

*Solid State Drive - Samsung 840 EVO Series MZ-7TE250BW 250GB SATA 6.0G $190

Hard Drive - Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/  $85   I like WD Black series drives

CPU cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler It works $30

Price: about $940

* The primary question marks in the build

Graphics card  -- To be determined later. I'm still dealing with sticker shock on a build that's about 50% higher than any other previous build I've done.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

ASRock is a "budget" brand last I checked and their build quality is hit-or-miss, more than other brands.  Maybe you'll get lucky and not deal with RMAs or returns, or maybe you won't.  Other brands may offer better tools for overclocking, like the Asus motherboards.

Did you forget to include the video card?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

My comment:

2nd/3rd/4th generation Intel are all about tradeoffs: you get higher stock speeds, but less overclockability.

If you don't overclock at all, go 4th gen (Haswell). If your an extreme overclocker, go 2nd gen (Sandy). If one is appreciably cheaper than the other, go with it.

That being said, the additional cache and hyperthreading add very little value unless you have some outlier niche case.

Your still paying a $50 premium going with an older i7 than you would a newer i5, with arguably little to no benefit in performance.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If you're planning on a high end graphics card.. make sure you check the size and the size in the case in relation to the PCI-E sockets on the motherboard as well. I know you can remove the bays for extra room but for a large (11-12 inch) card to fit it would have to be in the bottom PCI-E socket.. which means the fan on the card would probably be blocked by the PSU. Unless you can remove the top set of bays while leaving the bottom ones in.. not familiar with that case.

EDIT: forget that, case description says the top bays can be removed. Should have read it properly first.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

On the power supply, you're looking at too much wattage and not enough quality.  Corsair's latest CX series isn't bad, but it's very much a budget model, and if you need the high wattage, you should get higher quality.  I don't see any options I like on the Micro Center site, so try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

For the SSD, I'd rather have this:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/364547/m4_CT256M4SSD2_256GB_SATA_60Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_(SSD)_with_Marvell_Controller

Cheaper, too.  Or you can save quite a bit of money by going elsewhere and getting this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226371

If you're getting a big SSD, then the speed of your hard drive doesn't matter much.  So you can save money by getting something else instead of a WD Black.  For example:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/398271/WD_Blue_1TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_WD10EZEX_-_Bare_Drive

Originally posted by Ridelynn

My comment:

2nd/3rd/4th generation Intel are all about tradeoffs: you get higher stock speeds, but less overclockability.

If you don't overclock at all, go 4th gen (Haswell). If your an extreme overclocker, go 2nd gen (Sandy). If one is appreciably cheaper than the other, go with it.

That being said, the additional cache and hyperthreading add very little value unless you have some outlier niche case.

Your still paying a $50 premium going with an older i7 than you would a newer i5, with arguably little to no benefit in performance.

There's also this advice, if you'd like to bring the price down.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Update: Taking your advice I've changed the CPU to an i5 4670k, the M/B to an ASUS Z87, and the SSD to the same model Quzzical recommended. The SSD is an open box at $96. I've had no problem with other open box purchases at Micro Center. 

The PSU is from a local Fry's.

As earlier stated, I've got RAM and ODD. All are local store purchases

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OEM  $139   Win 8? Not gonna happen

Case - Undecided, the one I want isn't available locally. This will be an in-store, hands on decision About $50 -70

CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz Socket LGA 1150 Boxed P  $180

Motherboard - ASUS Z87-A Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard $95 bundled w/CPU-$10 less if I do the rebate.

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX12V V2.3 $60 less w/rebate.The TR2 700 reviewed well at Hardware Secrets but is more than needed

SSD - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Refurbished  $96 Open box.

HDD - WD Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1003FZE $80

CPU cooler  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler $30

This build comes out at $750 as opposed to the original $960. That brings a graphics card into an affordable but undecided range.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Grunty

PSU - Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX12V V2.3 $60 less w/rebate.The TR2 700 reviewed well at Hardware Secrets but is more than needed

Buying one Thermaltake TR2 power supply on the basis that a different one in the range reviewed all right, while ignoring that yet another one in the same lineup failed miserably, is something that I'd advise against.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/7

That's the sort of stuff that results in dead hardware.  I don't know whether the non-modular 600 W version will be all right, but I wouldn't risk it.

I'm also naturally leery of a "600 W" power supply for $45 after rebate--and only $60 before rebate, for that matter.  Especially from a vendor like Thermaltake that has been very hit and miss with power supplies and put out a number of awful products.

Yeah, I'm not finding any PSUs locally that I really like. I may get that 700w one but it's more than I need.

Or buy one online. I saw a Seasonic 550 one that reviewed well.

Edit Seasonic G series 550 W

Either of these will work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151136

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

I'd also warn that there is some variation from one part to the next, and performance of a power supply degrades as it ages.  Besides, the Hardware Secrets review that you link wasn't really that positive; they give golden awards to tons of power supplies.  It passed the review, certainly, but the measurements involved were merely okay, not really good.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Grunty

Yeah, I'm not finding any PSUs locally that I really like. I may get that 700w one but it's more than I need.

Or buy one online. I saw a Seasonic 550 one that reviewed well.

Edit Seasonic G series 550 W

I have one of these in both my systems and have had no problems. For the price its a good PSU.

I've got the system up and running for the last 3 days. The CPU is a 3.4ghz CPU currently running at 3.8ghz without issues at very good temperatures. I'm using an Antec Neopower 550 PSU that has seen minimal use over the last 3-4 years. I also stuck a Radeon HD 6550 in it for the time being. 

The one issue I've got is RAM related. It will not run with PC3-12800 Ram. I've tried 2 different 'brands', Patriot and Geil.  I had to use some cheap Corsair PC3-10600. 

I can tell you that Firefall is more CPU intensive as opposed to GPU. The game runs a whole lot better at the highest graphics settings then my Core 2 Duo does at lower-middle settings. (edit) Actually it probably has more to do with going from PCIE-16 x 1 to PCIE-16 x 3.

Rift plays about the same with the 6550 GPU as does my Core 2 Duo with a 6850 GPU.

After updating the BIOS I'll try to get the higher speed RAM to work.

Thank you for everyone's assistance and comments. I appreciate it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That is about the same type of system i would buy in the near future.

I would never buy the cutting edge because it is always way over priced compared to worth.

This system should last you a VERY long time,especially since developers are not pushing the industry tech,matter of fact i see them going backwards in many instances.

The sad thing is in Canada no way your getting that under 1500 closer to the 2k cost.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.