Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Screen on Startup

SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Morning all,

I just installed a second GTX 670 card and when I turn my PC on a get a black screen with the number 92 on the bottom right corner, it doesn't boot as far as windows. I suspect I don't have enough power to support both GFX (750W PSU) but I'm not sure. I thought I'd troll the internet looking for the reason while you guys thing about.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Read a post saying the error 92 is associated with keyboards so I'm wondering if I don't have enough power to run my Corsair K70?

EDIT2: Yep, unpluged the keyboard and it boots to windows, any suggestions?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Is anything overclocked? If so, turn it back to stock.

750W of ~good~ power is enough for a pair of 670's, but not with anything overclocked.

The second card shouldn't even be drawing much power until it's come up and your pushing it inside of a game or benchmark - in fact, until it loads the Windows driver it's probably under 10W of power. I'd suspect your motherboard may need a BIOS update, or you've forgetting to plug in the PCI-E connector to the card or it's loose in the PCI slot or something.

Since you didn't say what power supply you actually have, there's also the fact that ~most~ power supplies lie about their rating, and while yours is labeled at 750W it could really be something much much lower and that's the problem.

Keyboard not getting enough power... umm, no.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Exactly which power supply do you have?

Keyboards draw a fraction of a watt, so while it's possible that your keyboard isn't getting enough power, the cause of that would be something like "keyboard is not plugged in", not "power supply can deliver enough power for everything else, but not the keyboard".

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Good keyboards not being recognized during boot up are usually caused by 2 things.

The first one isn't your problem because that keyboard is wired. Wireless keyboards and mouses are often slow to be recognized during boot up. Sometimes so slow they aren't recognized in time to access the BIOS.

The second cause is possible but usually unlikely.  The USB ports that are in the same stack as the network port are recommended for keyboards and mouses because they are either always powered or receive power before other USB ports. Plugging a keyboard into a different USB port may cause the keyboard to not be recognized early enough.

Also try booting into Windows' Safe Mode and see if the keyboard works. 

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I figured it out, mobo not compatible with sli, only crossfire. Keyboard was just a small red fish I guess.

Thanks for your help though.