Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    What it also may mean is what a terrible idea it was going F2P.  Going F2P combined with the easy mode raiding change has caused most of the big raiding guilds left to quit.  There are very few veteran players left.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    This makes me sad. I don't know why, actually. I guess it's just the market sorting itself out. That style of game has seen its day, I guess. It's pretty clear now that Storm Legion wasn't the right direction. They needed to do something a lot different with that expansion. Now it's starting to remind me of the Warhammer expansion. Weren't there a lot of people from Warhammer that worked on Rift?I just hope they can survive and keep Defiance getting better and developing into whatever it is going to be. It's actually a pretty fun game in spurts of an hour or two, but I don't know what genre it belongs in, really. 

Hmm not sure I share your perspective. There was a huge influx of new players when Rift went F2P in June and they added a bunch of new shards to accommodate them all. Even had to break them into clusters, which has been challenging for players.

I get it that the spin is a "new" one world, and that the reality is more like the influx is over and it's time to re-merge shards. But the game is much busier today than it was in April-May, so it sounds like the plan worked.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I don't know, when I was playing it recently I saw lots of people running around. Certainly much more than when I logged into GW2 for the first time in a while yesterday. Is this definitely a bad thing? I think Rift has a lot of servers for the size of game it is. Maybe merging a few was needed and doesn't show the game is necessarily struggling?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i don't view it as a bad thing

as mentioned earlier, RIFT went ftp in summer

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2013/06/12/welcome-to-rift-2-3-empyreal-assault-free-to-play/

it's expected that there will be less players after the "ftp launch"

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    What it also may mean is what a terrible idea it was going F2P.  Going F2P combined with the easy mode raiding change has caused most of the big raiding guilds left to quit.  There are very few veteran players left.

So far the tier 5 raiding with IG/PBB has proven more than what the community can handle. Sub 25 guilds are able to kill at least 1 of the mobs. With still to this day only 4 Volan kills worldwide. The challenge is there.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

This makes me sad. I don't know why, actually. I guess it's just the market sorting itself out. That style of game has seen its day, I guess. It's pretty clear now that Storm Legion wasn't the right direction. They needed to do something a lot different with that expansion. Now it's starting to remind me of the Warhammer expansion. Weren't there a lot of people from Warhammer that worked on Rift?

I just hope they can survive and keep Defiance getting better and developing into whatever it is going to be. It's actually a pretty fun game in spurts of an hour or two, but I don't know what genre it belongs in, really. 

You know, I often asked myself what was wrong with Rift as I played it. Then after a few weeks, I understood. It just feels washed out, and lacking in personality. The systems behind the game are good. The guilds, housing, mounts, the grouping. It all feels properly done. Yet I found the world, the cities, and the skills were bland. The combat was stiff and uninspired, it became a drudgery to level. Storm Legion from what I've seen was a step in the right direction and I liked its aesthetic; that at least felt original. 

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Xeonsoldier
    Originally posted by Zapzap

So far the tier 5 raiding with IG/PBB has proven more than what the community can handle. Sub 25 guilds are able to kill at least 1 of the mobs. With still to this day only 4 Volan kills worldwide. The challenge is there.

It has to do with the size of the remaining raid community, not the quality or toughness of the encounters. Volan isn't even hard, he's easier than Maelforge the disappointment. Don't misinterpret lack of raiders for raid encounter difficulty. BTW, 609k dps on Thrax burn, u jelly?