Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking advice from....

apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I'm seeking advice from those that have played the game a while, or perhaps have a really good handle on the game; specifically progression in the game.

I don't know what I want to do with my primary character. I don't mind mining often, but I think I would have more fun doing something else, like maybe agent missions or something; although the benefit of mining for ISK to a certain point is staring me in the face.

I should start playing Eve (again) this weekend. I'm willing to scrap my existing characters to start over. The characters I have are at most 2 weeks old. In other words, not a real loss for me and there's no telling what I've already invested in.. and if that's useful or not. ... or maybe that wouldn't matter at all. Hmm.. anyway, I'm looking for pointers. Are there universal skills that everyone should have starting off or is it really dependent upon what I decide to do with my character? I'm patient and am willing to take my time doing whatever I need to do to enjoy the game in the long run.

Thanks for any advice any of you can give a newb to Eve.

so...

Comments

• magik_fxmagik_fx Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 278

I've been playing EVE for about 5 months now, and have helped 3 other people start fresh and helped them through the beginning. For starters, I don't know if you know what stat placement to put where, but a good balance doesn't hurt, but downplay charisma and use the points elsewhere. Even if you're a mission runner i suggest just getting an implant and the learning skill to a moderate level to balance it out. I've heard varying accounts of stat importance but it's usually somewhere like: Intelligence and Memory first, Perception and Willpower second and lastly Charisma.

As for starting out as a possible combat mission pilot a very good career choice is: Military School: Operations: Command: Captain Training. This will start you with your respective races frigate skill at 4 - a good jump in skill for a starter and saves a good amount of training time. Also, as always, invest in learning skills early - but not necessarily first. Engineering and Electronics are important skills as they increase your power grid and CPU on your ships, helps a lot for fitting different modules.

Mining isn't something you /have/ to do either. In my five months playing I have never spent time mining on any character except my very first because I didn't know any better. Agent missions and general rat hunting in belts are an excellent way to make money. In my first few weeks of playing I found a cargo expander and sold it for 11 million isk - it set me for a very long time as a fresh player. Also, do your tutorial and then the missions the agent they direct you to afterwards - the reward is a decent implant, which you can sell or use yourself.

Starting over is up to you, I don't know how your general stats are but other then that it's not really necessary - although starting over with a different mindset and goals can work much better then trying to shift a pre-existing character. It did for me, I rerolled my main character 4 times to try out all the races and see different things before I chose my final character.

Ok thats about all I can think of. I don't know exactly how new you are, so none of this may apply but hopefully some of it helped.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

thank you for your help. I'm playing eve again and I started a new character using your advice! ::::28::

so...