Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this legit or a phishing email?

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
Had an email come through this morning to my GW2 registered email address asking me to authorize a login attempt from tBeijing. It gives me a link to click to authorize it and looks very legit. Usually I'd dismiss it as a standard phishing attempt but seeing how legit it looks plus the fact it came to my actual GW2 account registered email, i'm a little worried.  Can anyone confirm whether ArenaNet does something like this? I'm usually careful in regards to viruses and stuff but I guess they can always slip through the anti virus and malware detectors. 

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

It's probably legit, if theres links to the arena net / guildwars 2 website, go to them manually first and compare them to see if the ones in the mail are legit ( dont click the ones in the mail first obviously )

But yeah.. if your account was accessed from beijing, you'll want to go ahead and change your password along with all the other games and sites you used that same pass on.

• SeventeenSeventeen Member Posts: 8

Greetings mate

I got the same email several times when I tried to access my account from a different network. Was that email something like the following?

A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 79.107.80.130
    City: Athens
    Region: 35

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

If you are certain this log-in attempt was not made by you, then someone else knows your log-in credentials and you should change your password immediately via Account Management.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this log-in attempt, please click the link below:

This mail was sent by : ArenaNet <[email protected]>

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    When in doubt, just say no and contact the vendor directly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

Think about it logically:

It's asking you to authorize a LOGIN attempt.  Did you attempt to log in from anywhere but your own computer? If not, it's phishing attempt.

Areanet does not need your authorization to access an account as all digital property of GW2 including your account belongs to them. So anyone asking for authorization is not areanet.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou

It's asking you to authorize a LOGIN attempt.  Did you attempt to log in from anywhere but your own computer? If not, it's phishing attempt.

Areanet does not need your authorization to access an account as all digital property of GW2 including your account belongs to them. So anyone asking for authorization is not areanet.

Or someone managed to get access to my account and this is what ArenaNet has in place as a sort of hacking prevention measure. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Always wanted to meet the kind of person that could possibly compromise their account.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Seventeen

Greetings mate

I got the same email several times when I tried to access my account from a different network. Was that email something like the following?

A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

If you are certain this log-in attempt was not made by you, then someone else knows your log-in credentials and you should change your password immediately via Account Management.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this log-in attempt, please click the link below:

This mail was sent by : ArenaNet 

That's what I got but with a link to accept the request. 

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Senden
    Originally posted by Seventeen

Greetings mate

This mail was sent by : ArenaNet 

That's what I got but with a link to accept the request. 

yes that's the usual way a-net use as a security measure. after you click logon ingame the game checks the IP address and sends an email to your account emali address. the logon stops until you authorized the access by clicking the link in the email.

my provider assigns dayly changing IP addresses to my account which belong to different network areas. when i started playing GW2 i got those emails a few times until i authorized all network areas my provider assigend me to (by clicking the link in the email).

if you did not try to access the game from China there was probably somemone using your logon email address and password. like said before best change your password asap.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Or someone managed to get access to my account and this is what ArenaNet has in place as a sort of hacking prevention measure. 

Bingo!  It's Anet protecting you and your account.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Aye, just don't click anything, and the guy from China trying to hack you will not be able to log in.

If I was you though I would change my password asap.

My computer is better than yours.

• RiversdaleRiversdale Member UncommonPosts: 20
    As others have said it's likely to be from Arenanet and means someone has your password. Looks like you need to sweep your system for malware and then change your GW2 password and any other games/sites which use the old password (all to different passwords)
  • SeventeenSeventeen Member Posts: 8

Yeah I got a link as well I just didnt post it here:)

But I always get this mail when my ip changes and arenanet detects that I am using a different network to login GW2. So if you didnt try to login from another network then someone did ..using your account. Change your password asap and your mail pass. Just my two cents:)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Just don't click links from the email. If you are not sure if it is legit, don't just check the link that is shown as text in your email. Hover with your mouse over it to highlight the actual link and check the domain. Most phishing emails then show something like guildwars2.com.au.xr (just making up an example) while the text says guildwars2.com .

Even when you are quite positive that it is legit, still get used to NOT click the link in an e-mail. Go to the official website and log in from there, or if it is possible to do the same using the game launcher, use that.

There are exceptions of course. If you just registered a game or made changes to your account yourself and the website tells you that it will send a confirmation email that you have to click, then it is ok ofc. But in these cases you are also expecting their e-mail.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I got an almost identical email except from Japan. My guess is that the ArenaNet's database has been compromised. I scan my computer about twice, daily, and only ever use my computers.

So in case you're using the same password on Guildwars 2 as your email, change your email password immediately. Never use the same password for several important accounts. Especially not your email!

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Making a fake link is dead easy.

Here's an example:

http://www.guildwars2.com

See? (don't worry, the fake link is just google).

That's why you NEVER click a link in a mail without knowing where it goes first, or even safer, log in to the game's site through the bookmark YOU made in your Internet browser.

My computer is better than yours.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

On top of all the other steps described by others like using anti malware software and changing password, changing your email might be something to consider.

Never use emails you have linked to games anywhere else like websites and forums. I keep getting emails telling me about my GW2, WoW and FF14 in the emails I used for gaming forums and whatnot.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    change you email, and logging password now.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by asrlohz

I got an almost identical email except from Japan. My guess is that the ArenaNet's database has been compromised. I scan my computer about twice, daily, and only ever use my computers.

So in case you're using the same password on Guildwars 2 as your email, change your email password immediately. Never use the same password for several important accounts. Especially not your email!

I have to post against this ignorance.  I would understand that if there were 100's to 1,000's of posts saying "I got an email from A.Net trying to authorize a login from XXX country!!! WTH?!!!", but that's certainly not the case.  You and the OP are 2 people of millions of customers of A.Net, which is in no way indication of database compromise.

My assumption is that someone guessed your password, already knowing your email.    It's not as simple as "never use the same password for several important accounts."  Utilizing multiple email accounts for general, business, and gaming is a must in the current state of many companies having issues with security on their databases.  

But, even that isn't as secure, considering that League of Legends (a game) had it's database hacked this past month and required all customer to change their password on login; that there would mean that the database hackers -and whoever they sold the info to- would have your email address for all games.

The password issue is a matter of having it actually be secure.  You know....not using any word that actually exists in a dictionary, blending caps and lower case, and applying symbols & numbers.   If it becomes so complicated that you cannot remember it on hand at start of use, make a log and put it in a desk/wall safe behind lock&key until you do remember it, then destroy the written version.  

Advanced security measures used by IT professionals and business policies are the best option instead of trying to play the blame game by saying "database compromised" when your own personal securities are failed.    Just saying.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Siphaed

The password issue is a matter of having it actually be secure.  You know....not using any word that actually exists in a dictionary, blending caps and lower case, and applying symbols & numbers.   If it becomes so complicated that you cannot remember it on hand at start of use, make a log and put it in a desk/wall safe behind lock&key until you do remember it, then destroy the written version.  

Just write it down.

Chinese gold sellers aren't going to break into people houses to steal the post it where your gaming passwords are.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Seriously?I can't believe the OP would ask such a question.

The ONLY person who needs to login is yourself,so why on earth would anyone think you need a Beijing login unless of course you are from Beijing but then again ,unless you have not been able to login why would any login need to be verified or added?

This seems like someone asking you if they can make a key to your front door of your house,would you then ask forum members if that person wanting a key made is legit?C'mon seriously?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am going to help you out,do NOT EVER click any email you do not recognize.You can hover your mouse over the email and see where it is from.

These thieves will stoop to even sending emails from a fake site that is very close to the legit one.Usually you will see the email sent from some obscure place like [email protected]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

wizardry has the right of it

if there is even a shred of doubt, don't click anything on the email. In this case, go the actual GW2 website and login there. If there is an issue, it will let you know at that time.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Definitely not legit.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

You need to smarten up my friend or one day you'll lose more than just a video game account.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Definitely not legit.

Definately legit!

Email is basically saying: If you are currently in Beijing and trying to log into GW2 click here... Otherwise: Your account+password has been compromized, go change it!

Jesus - What the ¤%&# is happening to the human race? This is NOT rocket science!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)