Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR....the money maker...

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Uhh 2011 called they want their rage post back

No statute of limitations on forum grudges. We still hear about that patch...that game that shut down in 2004...every bad launch ever...every expansion that "wrecked a game" ever...and those damned kids that just ruined everything.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Topic title reminds me of a mentos commercial.

SWTOR was designed in hopes of being the next uber mmo like WoW. They were humbled and are slowly making their investment back. Why bash them for being greedy now?

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Antiquated

No statute of limitations on forum grudges. We still hear about that patch...that game that shut down in 2004...every bad launch ever...every expansion that "wrecked a game" ever...and those damned kids that just ruined everything.

i recognize that dead fish in your sig

thats george, i played a great game of catch with him, many years ago (he won)

good times..but all ruined by those damned kids

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by RexGarvin

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible. .......snip....... I would not be surprised if a sequal to SWG was already being planned so they can kill SWTOR and make even more money. Only this time they will have Pledge Packages so they can get the players money before they have to develope any content!!

LOL! Two years have passed and some of the SWG nuts are still at it. What they lack in numbers they surely make up in tenacity. God bless them :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I am cautiously optimistic about TESO, but there will be (and have been) lots of gripes about how it strays from the core of what TES is all about.

There will be far more than that when the NDA is lifted which is more than likely going to be really really close to release for damage control purposes. lets just say that TESO has little over SWTOR in terms of overall blandness.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow
    Originally posted by maxima29

The loyal Star Wars community deserved a better mmo than this pig, especially after the SWG closure debacle . I don't know if Bio/Ea have the brains to feel shame, but they should be ashamed of this travesty. It further proves that industry awards mean absolutely nothing.  On the other hand, there is always the hope of another grand SW title that is an actual MMORPG along the vein of Star Wars Galaxies. 

SWG closure was not a debacle it was closure of a poorly performing video game.  You guys keep your hope and dream together for another few years while a lot of people play and enjoy SWTOR.  Its a travesty that over two years in now people are still crying about SWTOR and crying that their little preshish swg CLOSED.  

You say a lot of people enjoy playing SWTOR? A lot of people enjoy sniffing glue as well; both the glue and SWTOR are on a similar level -- which is more deleterious to your mental state I will leave to your imagination.

SWG had a grand 8+ year run and represented one of the most complex mmorpgs to date. I am not going to enter into the Lucasarts effect on the mmo.

grand 8 year run?  What was so grand about it?  That it quickly lost of all it subs and had to be complteetly rediesgined?  or that even after the rediegsin it couldn't eve keep 50,000 subs and that is WITH the Sony station Pass.

Complex does not = fun.     Yeah it had some really complex ideas but it was BORING.   People left because it was just a star wars themed Second Life.  

There was no sense of balance, it suffered from major game breaking bugs and there was nothing to do.

Sony was more then happy to get rid of it.  They only kept it around for the Sony Station Pass.     It was on maintence mode after NGE.

Why do you think they stopped making expansions for it after that? 

There is a reason SWG is considered one of the biggest MMO failures of all time.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

and there is no reason to say the same about swtor?

they didnt lose most of the playerbase  in the first year?

and we know, that swtors budget was huge..whats the name , for an expensive, underperforming product?

from my perspective, Theres two failed SW mmos

and dont say "it cant be done"...blizzard did it with wow

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
     dead horse is dead horse. play or dont play it. plenty of people do and enjoy it. plenty dont. mods lock thread. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by maxima29

The loyal Star Wars community deserved a better mmo than this pig, especially after the SWG closure debacle . I don't know if Bio/Ea have the brains to feel shame, but they should be ashamed of this travesty. It further proves that industry awards mean absolutely nothing.  On the other hand, there is always the hope of another grand SW title that is an actual MMORPG along the vein of Star Wars Galaxies. 

SWG closure was not a debacle it was closure of a poorly performing video game.  You guys keep your hope and dream together for another few years while a lot of people play and enjoy SWTOR.  Its a travesty that over two years in now people are still crying about SWTOR and crying that their little preshish swg CLOSED.  

You say a lot of people enjoy playing SWTOR? A lot of people enjoy sniffing glue as well; both the glue and SWTOR are on a similar level -- which is more deleterious to your mental state I will leave to your imagination.

SWG had a grand 8+ year run and represented one of the most complex mmorpgs to date. I am not going to enter into the Lucasarts effect on the mmo.

grand 8 year run?  What was so grand about it?  That it quickly lost of all it subs and had to be complteetly rediesgined?  or that even after the rediegsin it couldn't eve keep 50,000 subs and that is WITH the Sony station Pass.

Complex does not = fun.     Yeah it had some really complex ideas but it was BORING.   People left because it was just a star wars themed Second Life.  

There was no sense of balance, it suffered from major game breaking bugs and there was nothing to do.

Sony was more then happy to get rid of it.  They only kept it around for the Sony Station Pass.     It was on maintence mode after NGE.

Why do you think they stopped making expansions for it after that? 

There is a reason SWG is considered one of the biggest MMO failures of all time.

Some people found it BORING you say? True enough.

Not all did. Some found it quite enjoyable. Just like anything else.

and to some Players Complex DOES EQUAL FUN. If I wanted a simple game I would play a browser game. I counter your argument by saying this: those Players that did not enjoy a complex MMO? They were playing the wrong game for them.

I have said it before and I will say it again.... MMO Publishers attract far too many People to their games that will never enjoy them as they are designed, hence why we are getting demands to change MMOs into another form of game altogether.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

It's what they get for making a singleplayer game with a monthly fee.

A game with no social atmosphere or encouraged teamwork does not retain players beyond the content.

• TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible. 

i'm sorry did I miss something?

Is there a video game that is NOT designed to make as much money as fast as possible?  Even indie games are designed to make money as fast as possible. 

You sure did miss something.  MMOs used to be made with player retention in mind.  It was expected that people would want to play them for years.  They sub was the big cash cow. . how we hype them up. . sell the box and move on after 2-3 months.  Developers know that people are not sticking around so they are developing games around this idea.

Make as much money as possible. . sure that was always the goal.  it is the "as fast as possible" part that is sucked the life out of the genre.

I don't think it has as much to do with the "make as much money as fast as possible" philosophy. This philosophy can be a good thing, so long as the revenues generated go directly into content creation and maintenance.

I think it has more to do with publishers requiring a certain return in terms of retail purchases and subscriptions before they determine whether or not to continue supporting a game. The calculations for the required return often involve deriving a specific retention rate, with little thought given to maximising said rate. At the same time publishers have been pushing for faster releases or releases in time for various holidays, even when studios/developers are not ready or still have systems that are in testing. The combination of the two leads to MMOs releasing before they are ready, being judged on a very short time frame and under conditions where the only focus is on the loss of subscribers.

SWTOR was rushed to make Christmas sales with content that could be burned through in a month or two. The release date was more important than tester feedback. The release date was more important than having all core systems in. I strongly suspect that during the entire time EA never once thought about how they could work with Bioware to get the game back on track. No, I expect EAs thoughts were more on when to push Bioware to change to an f2p model so that a cash shop could be introduced.

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

• TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Double post, Mods please delete.

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    A turd with star wars on it could make money.
    Swtor is by far the biggest failure in mmo history and it will take a really shitty development team with too much money to topple it.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Swtor is by far the biggest failure in mmo history and it will take a really shitty development team with too much money to topple it.

It out sold and out lasted Tabula Rasa by a wide margin.  Whats your baseline for biggest failure because there are a huge number of other MMO's that have not got near the sub's, sold near the number of boxes or keep the doors open nearly as long.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

You do realize it is still going with a decent player-base, right?

MMOs were seen as successful with 25-50K subs before WoW. Just because it wasn't the Next WoW does not mean it's a failure.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by udon

It out sold and out lasted Tabula Rasa by a wide margin.  Whats your baseline for biggest failure because there are a huge number of other MMO's that have not got near the sub's, sold near the number of boxes or keep the doors open nearly as long.

Of course it out sold tabula rasa, it's fucking star wars. My baseline is that it's the biggest IP that you can possibly get your hands on and in  accordance with the amount of money invested  resulted in this stale lifeless piece of shit creation.

Originally posted by Tygranir

MMOs were seen as successful with 25-50K subs before WoW. Just because it wasn't the Next WoW does not mean it's a failure.

The only reason it has a decent player base is because of the f2p option, otherwise this game would be dead.

Sorry but i have seen dev teams with a 10th of the budget of swtor put more effort into their game world. Spending all your money on voice acting is an idiot move and a failure to produce a cohesive mmo

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Sorry but i have seen dev teams with a 10th of the budget of swtor put more effort into their game world. Spending all your money on voice acting is an idiot move and a failure to produce a cohesive mmo

Can you provide the budgets of other MMOs?  Also, what is the cost break down of how much was spent on their voice acting vs the rest of the game? 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

From its very conception SWTOR was designed to make as much money as fast as possible. 

No.  It was marketed that way.

It was designed with a single player mindset as a clone of WOW without the quality of life features or polish of WOW.

It's the second Star Wars MMO to launch without the amazing aspects of XWing vs. Tie Fighter included.  Big mistake both times.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Its not a failure because its not the next WoW, but its still a massive failure that is only being held afloat by its IP.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

Can you provide the budgets of other MMOs?  Also, what is the cost break down of how much was spent on their voice acting vs the rest of the game? 

Can we stop being o so 2 years ago and talking pure carp , if you don't read up on things then don't type bile thanks , no I was talking to nerovipus sheesh , I will not post this link ever again so read up on it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

Ohlen began his presentation by dispelling some misconceptions about the creation of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some journalists and fans attributed much of the upfront cost of TOR to its scripting and voice acting. Ohlen explained that this belief is erroneous: "[Voice acting] was a known entity, and cost was quite low in comparison to the cost of the rest of the project." In other words, BioWare had been there and done that with voice acting already in its other games and budgeted accordingly. However, BioWare did not have a tested platform to build an MMO. Much of the cost was funneled toward creating an engine that supported a team of over 300 people working on it at the same time and adding choice and consequence to the MMO story. "Don't be scared about adding voice over and cool cinematic content," he advised his audience, "but do be careful about adding lots of choice with consequence because that adds to QA cost and development cost and makes it hard to design everything."

[mod edit]

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Too late for a reboot. I'll wait for a new SW MMO along the lines of SWG or just play Star Citizen

Pretty much this. I'll wait for a better sci-fi mmo. In the mean time we have Star Citizen to play in 2014!

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Its not a failure because its not the next WoW, but its still a massive failure that is only being held afloat by its IP.

Read the second reply in this thread and learn.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/forums/thread/400043/-EA-Reveals-that-their-SW-deal-done-in-May-2013-lasts-a-full-decade.html

Thanks in advance ,

It's making money mate and quite a bit.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

This discussion has been closed.