Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Landmark stay live after EQN goes live?

ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Here's my question - 

Is landmark gonna stay open after EQN or are they going to close it down or somehow merge the games?

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Everything I've ever seen points towards it staying live.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Yes they are two different game experiences.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

as i've posted in past,   EQN is only Norrath theme --- no scifi or modern or goofy themes

EQN - Norrath Landmark theme

- Many classes

EQNL - many themes,  Scifi, Modern, etc

- one class, Adventurer

- one theme supporting EQN,  the Norrath theme

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Landmark is a full MMORPG.  They just announced this last week, that they are adding combat, mobs, group content, etc.  They intend to run both games for the long haul.

I personally believe I will be playing Landmark instead of Next, because I think the community is going to be a lot more interesting, where Next will get a lot of the typical themepark crowd.  We'll see, I guess.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

They did also say though, that not all of this stuff will be in Landmark this Winter when it is released.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    They did also say though, that not all of this stuff will be in Landmark this Winter when it is released.

i believe there will be at least 2 themes at launch

non-Norrath

Norrath

Gamescom 2013

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/gamescom-2013-in-depth-looks-at-everquest-next-and-eq-next-lan/

One area of Landmark will be reserved for art in the Norrathian style

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Point taken - however, the differences between the games doesn't preclude that Landmark may be a full blown mmo which will go dark as its primary function of supplementing the building of EQN comes to an end.

Or, they may mean to keep it up as a type of minor-league feeder mmo. When ever something is created that is of the right calliber, it is moved on to the big leagues.

Just my speculations.

Originally posted by Zorgo

its primary function of supplementing the building of EQN comes to an end.

i dont see EQNL as a dependency on EQN at all

devs may try some things in EQNL first before implementing in EQN  (kind of the way EQ2 is used)

but EQNL is an entirely seperate beast beyond the "Norrath theme" association

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Why close it? Players will continue to create unique content in EQL.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

I wonder if there is, right now, a developer of EQL pointing at this thread and shouting "look at what you've done! You and your stupid mouth! 'PvP'! 'Combat elements!' Now those doofuses are waiting for a real, full-blown MMORPG and WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO wher they'll see what we have, you dolt?!!!"

Hehe.

Read the Forbes article from last week:

'EverQuest Next Landmark' Is Much More Than A World Builder

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/10/02/everquest-next-landmark-is-much-more-than-a-world-builder/

Originally posted by Grahor

"look at what you've done! You and your stupid mouth! 'PvP'! 'Combat elements!'

SOE has commented on the EQNL harvesting game

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/06/eq-next-landmarks-first-dev-highlights-harvesting-inventory/

over 50 different resources have already been defined in the game, such as gems, wood, and metals. Each resource type has five tiers; the higher the tier, the deeper in the world it will be found. Players will harvest these metals, gems, and wood to make better tools that will in turn harvest better resources.

But resources are not the only thing players can find while exploring -- crafting recipes and objects that players can keep or break down into materials will also be discovered throughout Landmark. And of course, with players gathering so much, there needs to be a place to put it all. Butler and Michaels also talked about the three types of inventory space in game (personal, claim, and a vault) and noted that players can access anything put in a vault from any other vault, whereas items stored in chests at their claim are only accessible at the claim. All three inventories, however, can be expanded through play.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I know quite a few folks looking to move to Landmark when it launches and they are expecting it to be a builder's sandbox. I don't think they have any interest in questing or killing or any kind of PvE experience if it doesn't support building.

I don't know anyone looking to play EQN.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
     Twice the sources of revenue as well. Don't get me wrong.  I have nothing paying.  Two games.  Two sources of cash 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by apocoluster
     Twice the sources of revenue as well. Don't get me wrong.  I have nothing paying.  Two games.  Two sources of cash 

I agree.  If anything, it will probably be easier to monetize elements in Landmark than in Next, so I'd expect it to stay around even after Next comes online.

Although I could see how the push to making Landmark into a full blown MMORPG could endanger (or delay) Next.  I think the Next and Landmark divide might be eroding a bit, and what we'll see is actually Landmark, a building tool, that gradually evolves into Next, the RP game.   I can't believe SOE is overly pleased with the confusion and feedback that they created with the dual announcement at SOE Live, and they are taking steps to consolidate the two products, so they can spin it as 'that is what we intended all along' in the future.

It really wouldn't surprise me if we see Landmark launched in January or February, and news on Next's development being pushed onto a back burner as the development team work to flesh out Landmark into a full-blown MMORPG combining some of the announced elements from both products (LandNext??).  I predict that eventually Next as a separate and unique product will be dropped and a new development effort will take its place somewhere around 2016.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Im confused about something. Will we actually be able to get a plot of land and build on it in eqn? I thought so at first, but some pwople are saying no.
    Also, I hope I can transfer or copy my toon fr om eqnl to eqn so all of my crafting progress carries over.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Dave says that Landmark is more of the creative/exploration based version of EQN, while EQN itself is more about the lore and story-driven MMO experience.

Both wholly different games from the same framework.

A tweet from the man himself the other day:

@Dreamo84 @renatoiwa @TheBillMurphy Landmark absolutely will live on as its own game after EQN launches!

— David Georgeson (@DaveGeorgeson) October 2, 2013

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Dave says that Landmark is more of the creative/exploration based version of EQN, while EQN itself is more about the lore and story-driven MMO experience.

Both wholly different games from the same framework.

A tweet from the man himself the other day:

@Dreamo84 @renatoiwa @TheBillMurphy Landmark absolutely will live on as its own game after EQN launches!

— David Georgeson (@DaveGeorgeson) October 2, 2013

That's what I was looking for - thanks )