Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen attracting Non-MMO gamers

RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128

I've been using normal everyday MMORPG terminology on the Star Citizen page, terms such as "Endgame Content", "PVP vs PVE", and have had numerous accounts of users not familiar with these terms, claiming to be 'experts' yet it's clear they are either single player fans or simply console gamers not familiar with everyday MMO speak. I'm expecting at release the community to be very diverse, more diverse than other MMOs I've played.

I've also noticed what seems to be a large amount of Military fans such as Airforce/Navy etc, and a large number of European fans, as well as a large age range of fans from teens to 60 year old fans which is fairly rare. I'd expect FarmVille to have a good number of older fans as well as some young fans but most MMO fans probably range from the 20s to 30s mainly. 

I don't know what this will do, whether it will be good or bad, probably good, just pointing it out, also giving fair warning to anyone posting on the SC page, expect to get flamed occasionally by someone who knows *nothing* about MMO terminology, you will have to occasionally correct them, but name calling is against the rules so correct them professionally. That is all.

--- Razimus

Comments

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Razimus
    I've been using normal everyday MMORPG terminology on the Star Citizen page, terms such as "Endgame Content", "PVP vs PVE", and have had numerous accounts of users not familiar with these terms, claiming to be 'experts' yet it's clear they are either single player fans or simply console gamers not familiar with everyday MMO speak. I'm expecting at release the community to be very diverse, more diverse than other MMOs I've played.I've also noticed what seems to be a large amount of Military fans such as Airforce/Navy etc, and a large number of European fans, as well as a large age range of fans from teens to 60 year old fans which is fairly rare. I'd expect FarmVille to have a good number of older fans as well as some young fans but most MMO fans probably range from the 20s to 30s mainly. I don't know what this will do, whether it will be good or bad, probably good, just pointing it out, also giving fair warning to anyone posting on the SC page, expect to get flamed occasionally by someone who knows *nothing* about MMO terminology, you will have to occasionally correct them, but name calling is against the rules so correct them professionally. That is all.

To be fair, some ppl from the mmo crowd think SC will be like a MMORPG where your character will get skills while lvling and that they can multibox in this game =)So clueless is on both sides...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

A lot of the older fans are people who played Wing Commander and other Space/Flight Sims for a long time, a lot of ex- pilots (military or otherwise) among them. The kids are mostly here because of the graphix and probably don't really know what the game is going to play like. I've seen a lot of EvE fans who seems to think the game is going to be EvE 2.0 as well.

Also, SC isn't just a Persistent Universe, Squadron42 is a single player game and the private server hosting allows you to play all alone in your version of the Universe if you want. So it's normal that the game is attracting different people, they don't have to play in the PU.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well SC is turning out to be a lot of different things to different people. To some it's a MMO, to others a Single Player game and to others it's a mix of both. Some will most likely play alone or with a tight nit group of friends whereas many will play along side with the masses in the PU. Some will play because the game will offer a never ending supply of unique PvP encounters where others will play for the challenges of the economy or the many differing types of challenging PvE that will be available.

The point is that Star Citizen is many different things to many different people but the truly amazing part of it is the game is actually going to be all of those things and more. This game is attracting the most broadest fan base I think I've ever personally witnessed. This game will be many different things to many very different people and more. Not bad for a little "Pew-Pew" niche space ship shootem' up game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Star Citizen isn't calling itself a MMO in the traditional sense. You can do everything in the game single player, or opt to playing with other people using some sort of shard system that allows players to procedurally show up in the region of space you are in. I'd call it somewhat of a hybrid between the genre's.
  • RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by denshing
    Star Citizen isn't calling itself a MMO in the traditional sense. You can do everything in the game single player, or opt to playing with other people using some sort of shard system that allows players to procedurally show up in the region of space you are in. I'd call it somewhat of a hybrid between the genre's.

Star Citizen is an MMO, just as much as Guild Wars 2 is an MMO. Period. There doesn't need to be any more classification than that. Is it "different"? No levels (Ultima Online), instances with around 50 players per instance (Guild Wars 2), there's a single player game called Squadron 42 but I'm clearly not talking about that, I'm talking about the persistent universe. It's an MMO, even the devs have admitted it, not without a disclaimer though, stating that "It's not the typical MMO", "It's unique", I don't doubt it will be unique, but it technically is an MMO. If you want to get into the definition of MMORPG, the term coined by Richard Garriott, I'm sure he would agree, it's an MMO, if you want to get into the definition of Massively, and claim it's not Massive enough you'd end up cutting off most of the games on the MMORPG.com games list.

--- Razimus