Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think most of us knew this without playing... as for

"I found myself laboring through a clumsy user interface that lacked finesse and one which was awash with bloated menus – all this harking back to a too greater influence from its " 

What does this mean? This is becoming "the thing to say" like "clunky". I expect professional reviews who are gamers (I hope) to be more descriptive than you average forum troll. 

All in TenTonHammer is a site I've always respected.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Crappy author, for sure, sounds like a forum troll who got to publish.

MMORPG gameplay is what it is, and if like that dude, you don't really like it, then why do you play MMORPGs?  This is another of the type of player who would seemingly be better of sticking to single player RPGs and staying out of MMORPGs and writing about them.

While I would agree that seeing some variety in how quests are done would be good, what I don't like seeing and am sick of seeing is for MMORPG questing and XPing to be increasingly more like single player RPG and nothing at all like MMORPG.

One of the biggest problems with MMORGPs these days is that they are trying to be too much like single player RPGS but online - and that's not what MMORPGs are all about - or at least it's not what they were about when the genre came into existentce - you wouldn't be able to tell anymore since most MMORPGs barely have any grouping anymore and feature a lot of subhumans spewing idiocy in public chat while endlessly soloing and speedleveling to cap with zero effort.

I haven't really followed WildStar that much or dug into it even though a lot of it sounds appealing.  The very fact that it has cash for gold built in to it makes it a "no sale" for me.  I haven't devolved to the point of condoning cheating and I don't find it acceptable to have cheating built in to a game, especially one that claims to be premium and will feature premium P2P pricing.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Oh well, sucks for you then. I guess none of the other MMO's current or future have gold buying in them, WildStar stands out as the only one. If your problem is a moral one and you just can't "morally" accept that a developer would allow that, well that's very noble of you, although I believe there would be many more things in WildStar you would end up morally objecting to, so it's probably for the best that you aren't setting your sights on this game.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

The same author had plenty of positives to say as well and named WildStar the best MMOG of Eurogamer. 

"I do have some concerns about its quest structure, but I'd be willing to forgive it for that when everything else seems so good. With raid content (so desperately lacking in the genre) it has a strong framework for those seeking something more hardcore."

https://www.tentonhammer.com/node/253555/page/2?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Emm...

There was no official Wildstar presence at EGX 2013 at all, there were 2 machines hidden at the Alienware booth.

The build that was running on these machines was a very old floor build, i don't know exactly how old but it wasn't the one from Gamescon or PAX, it even looked older than the CBT3 stress test builds.

Also this isn't an editorial by the TTH staff or by any one with even basic editorial skills, Lewis B is just an amateur contributor so take that entire article with a grain of salt.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Just as a heads-up, Lewis at TTH did a follow-up on Reddit where he goes into further detail. You can find that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1nq2cy/building_on_my_ten_ton_hammer_impressions/

But yeah, the build at Eurogamer Expo was an old one. I'm eager to see an updated version incorporating the features mentioned in the October update.

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

By this point ppl have already made up their minds about wildstar. If they're going to play it these reviews will be seen a bad, stupid or whatever reason why it's wrong. If the reader isn't going to play it everything they say will only prove them right in not wanting to play.

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by DamonVile

By this point ppl have already made up their minds about wildstar. If they're going to play it these reviews will be seen a bad, stupid or whatever reason why it's wrong. If the reader isn't going to play it everything they say will only prove them right in not wanting to play.

I'd disagree with that. The art style might be a bit polarising and the world might not appeal to everyone but, from my own experience, it's large-scale betas that really cement opinion. We might postulate and opine about one set of mechanics versus another, or our own payment model preferences, and that's all good.

But opinions are also malleable. Regardless of the title, I've found that a good game that's fun to play is a strong counter to preconceived ideas. The proof is in the pudding, after all. 

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Gazimoff

Just as a heads-up, Lewis at TTH did a follow-up on Reddit where he goes into further detail. You can find that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1nq2cy/building_on_my_ten_ton_hammer_impressions/

But yeah, the build at Eurogamer Expo was an old one. I'm eager to see an updated version incorporating the features mentioned in the October update.

thanks for link