Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch 2.4 (biggest patch since release) Tuesday

124»

Comments

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Moodsor

Originally posted by maxima29
    On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind. I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

I've said it many times and will say it again. These people with the not free enough are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free is a joke. Free trail? Your right you can only play the entire original game from 1-50. You get to take part in the best story of any mmo on more then one toon even. Yes I see how that is a free trial. You could ask your mom for $15 or not goto MCD twice a month. Then if you played 3.5 hrs a week that would equal about $1/hr of entertainment not sure how people can qq that any game is not free enough.

Would you calm down? Jesus... I stated how I view it when compared to other games free to play model, no need to go all crazy about it. If you cannot cope with people having an oppinion on forums meant for discussion, you might not wanna visit the forums.

You say this is whats wrong with MMO's? you think you are helping by throwing a fit whenever you disagree with someone?

Hey I got no problem with f2p but if people are going come on a forum and cry is not free enough then maybe they shouldn't be on the forum. I just game you my opinion on those who cry about stuff not being free enough. So you have yours and I have mine don't see the issue? You really think being able to play multiple toons from 1-50 is a free trial?
  • didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind.

I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

I've said it many times and will say it again. These people with the not free enough are what's wrong with MMOs and society in general. This I'm entitled to play for free is a joke. Free trail? Your right you can only play the entire original game from 1-50. You get to take part in the best story of any mmo on more then one toon even. Yes I see how that is a free trial. You could ask your mom for $15 or not goto MCD twice a month. Then if you played 3.5 hrs a week that would equal about $1/hr of entertainment not sure how people can qq that any game is not free enough.

Product is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind.

I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

Would you calm down? Jesus... I stated how I view it when compared to other games free to play model, no need to go all crazy about it. If you cannot cope with people having an oppinion on forums meant for discussion, you might not wanna visit the forums.

You say this is whats wrong with MMO's? you think you are helping by throwing a fit whenever you disagree with someone?

Hey I got no problem with f2p but if people are going come on a forum and cry is not free enough then maybe they shouldn't be on the forum. I just game you my opinion on those who cry about stuff not being free enough. So you have yours and I have mine don't see the issue? You really think being able to play multiple toons from 1-50 is a free trial?

Stating an oppinion != crying, get your dictionary, i never said anything bad about it, I just said how I felt about it.

Originally posted by didjerama

On another note I do agree that SWTOR has improved a lot over the past year or so, the main gripe I have with the game is they call it f2p, while their f2p is too restrictive to be called real f2p in my mind. I think of it more as an extended trial, because if you wanna really get somewhere in SWTOR you pretty much need to subscribe.

Product is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

I agree to me its worth the <$0.25/hr of entertainment I get out of it. But your philosophy also works for F2P. If you pay $0 don't expect everything.

Stating an oppinion != crying, get your dictionary, i never said anything bad about it, I just said how I felt about it.

Hey sorry didn't me to hurt your feelings its wasn't directed all towards you but to the not free enough crowd in general.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Tinybina

That's right folks, for those of you that never gave this game a spin, try it.  IMO it is really one of the best MMO's out there.  And with this patch things are just going to get better.

I have been looking for a MMO for a few years now. I bought into the hate about this game and decided that I didn't want to try it. Boy was I missing out.  One of the most polished MMO's out there.   For those sitting on the fence give it a go, what do you have to lose.

Edit: On a side note I haven't been in a MMO community (mature) like this since Anarchy Online.  No characters named "Mollestar" (looking at you RIFT) running up to me and laughing at me, and then sending me a tell that I am "sad"....

No talking about silly stuff in chat or being racist towards people of other ethnic backgrounds...Seriously if you ever got to play Anarchy Online you know what I am talking about, the community that played that MMO acting like ADULTS.  People who play this MMO seem to have some sense, and that next to the combat is what I really LOVE about this game.

They trying to patch this game back into favour...fail imo game has always been pants and will find it hard getting people to play a game which let its self down the day it went live. All the fanboys post in the world will not get this game back in the gaming limelight.

It's dead JIM!!!

Asbo

Originally posted by NightBandit

Originally posted by Tinybina
    That's right folks, for those of you that never gave this game a spin, try it.  IMO it is really one of the best MMO's out there.  And with this patch things are just going to get better.   I have been looking for a MMO for a few years now. I bought into the hate about this game and decided that I didn't want to try it. Boy was I missing out.  One of the most polished MMO's out there.   For those sitting on the fence give it a go, what do you have to lose.   Edit: On a side note I haven't been in a MMO community (mature) like this since Anarchy Online.  No characters named "Mollestar" (looking at you RIFT) running up to me and laughing at me, and then sending me a tell that I am "sad".... No talking about silly stuff in chat or being racist towards people of other ethnic backgrounds...Seriously if you ever got to play Anarchy Online you know what I am talking about, the community that played that MMO acting like ADULTS.  People who play this MMO seem to have some sense, and that next to the combat is what I really LOVE about this game.

They trying to patch this game back into favour...fail imo game has always been pants and will find it hard getting people to play a game which let its self down the day it went live. All the fanboys post in the world will not get this game back in the gaming limelight.

It's dead JIM!!!

And all those wasting the last two yrs of their life bashing a video game they don't play won't kill it. I'd rather play a game I and a lot of people enjoy than waste my life posting on a video game I don't play IMO.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

It's good to see more forum users telling the truth about SWTOR. I for one joined this very site just for that very reason , glad I'm not alone any more.

As to 2.4 , some of those bosses on Oricon are quite a challenge , I will have to gear up my companions more TBH. I don't want them to nerf anything on Oricon , it's good to have a challenging Moon to fight on. Makeb's later parts , back in the day , were quite tough. Maybe the dev's are trying to encourage us to group up more , you know as in like an MMO :). Anyway I do like the look of the Moon. I guess them changing the gear tiers was a good sign that this new content would be a little tougher. I did finish it on my sniper with 66 purples and blue 66 augments , the second time round though I am now stuck on the commander. I just need to improve my healing companion then have at it again.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The only time I have ever experienced "skill delay" is if I get impatient and spam skills like a dumb ass or if there is the occasional lag spike that can happen in any mmo. Some skills take time to animate for full damage..which is the way the skill works ..so if you hit a skill that builds then another skill  right afterwards it may seem like a misfire or skill delay but it would just be you not knowing how to use the skills correctly.

So actually..I guess I've never experienced  this "skill delay"... even in beta or  early access.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    I was all set on buying(pre-ordering actually) RoTHC digital expansion(aka DLC), i did not find 19.99$ to be too much, why? because every quest/ pve encounter in SWToR comes with awesome voice acting that cost a lot of money. then i saw one thing written on the buy page : "free to play restrictions apply". i was puzzled, so i sent an email to [email protected](there is no in game support for f2p/preferred players like Rift/Tera does) and they replied to me that even if i buy RoTHC dlc, if i do not have active subscription i will have to buy Ops pass from cartel market to do the Ops that comes with RoTHC and f2p/preferred FP loot limit also apply. So basically i pay for the dlc but to do the Ops i will have to buy Ops pass each week that cost 240CC and to full loot new dungeons i need FP pass also cost 240CC, so for me it is 19.99$+(5$ each week). I don't mind they don't allow me to loot core game FP and don't let me do the Ops in core game, i DID NOT pay for them but i was going to pay for RoTHC so i should be allowed to enjoy everything that came with that but that was not what EAWare had in mind. So i said bye bye and never logged in since then. I don't think it will be wise for them to change their f2p model and make it like Rift or TERA but there is a limit as to how much lame things can be and they crossed it for me. So yeah now i don't play it but i wish them luck, if this new content update is good then that's a job well done from EAWare.

And yet, when Blizzard charges 150+ USD for their games + expansion but doesn't allow you to even log-in without a sub, it's fine right? I mean, it's WoW after all.

Just an FYI, WoW charges $30 USD for an expansion with an included month sub, ROTHC + 1month sub were available for $25. People who didn't want to buy the sub were charged $19.99 for only ROTHC.

WoW is not f2p game and it does exclusively advertise themselves as f2p. even the current "play free now" advertise of 5.4 explicitly mention it is a 7 day promotion for returning players. Your reasoning about WoW is moot and completely unrelated. If you want to compare SWToR's business model with any mmo then it should be EQ1, EQ2, DCUO(mostly DCUO as it also does the DLC business), Vanguard, DDO, LoTRO and/or any other freemium games. In all of these games if i pay for expansion/dlc and any other content i can play those contents as much as i want. you do not sell something in an f2p game and don't let the buyer use it as much as they want, any way they want. those games i mentioned also explicitly mentioned many times that their f2p model is just an "extended trial" but if we buy something from them they allow me to keep it. SWToR is completely a mess in this regard, their entire f2p model is a mess. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

I was all set on buying(pre-ordering actually) RoTHC digital expansion(aka DLC), i did not find 19.99$ to be too much, why? because every quest/ pve encounter in SWToR comes with awesome voice acting that cost a lot of money. then i saw one thing written on the buy page : "free to play restrictions apply". i was puzzled, so i sent an email to [email protected](there is no in game support for f2p/preferred players like Rift/Tera does) and they replied to me that even if i buy RoTHC dlc, if i do not have active subscription i will have to buy Ops pass from cartel market to do the Ops that comes with RoTHC and f2p/preferred FP loot limit also apply. So basically i pay for the dlc but to do the Ops i will have to buy Ops pass each week that cost 240CC and to full loot new dungeons i need FP pass also cost 240CC, so for me it is 19.99$+(5$ each week). I don't mind they don't allow me to loot core game FP and don't let me do the Ops in core game, i DID NOT pay for them but i was going to pay for RoTHC so i should be allowed to enjoy everything that came with that but that was not what EAWare had in mind. So i said bye bye and never logged in since then. I don't think it will be wise for them to change their f2p model and make it like Rift or TERA but there is a limit as to how much lame things can be and they crossed it for me. So yeah now i don't play it but i wish them luck, if this new content update is good then that's a job well done from EAWare.

And yet, when Blizzard charges 150+ USD for their games + expansion but doesn't allow you to even log-in without a sub, it's fine right? I mean, it's WoW after all.

Just an FYI, WoW charges $30 USD for an expansion with an included month sub, ROTHC + 1month sub were available for $25. People who didn't want to buy the sub were charged $19.99 for only ROTHC.

WoW is not f2p game and it does exclusively advertise themselves as f2p. even the current "play free now" advertise of 5.4 explicitly mention it is a 7 day promotion for returning players. Your reasoning about WoW is moot and completely unrelated. If you want to compare SWToR's business model with any mmo then it should be EQ1, EQ2, DCUO(mostly DCUO as it also does the DLC business), Vanguard, DDO, LoTRO and/or any other freemium games. In all of these games if i pay for expansion/dlc and any other content i can play those contents as much as i want. you do not sell something in an f2p game and don't let the buyer use it as much as they want, any way they want. those games i mentioned also explicitly mentioned many times that their f2p model is just an "extended trial" but if we buy something from them they allow me to keep it. SWToR is completely a mess in this regard, their entire f2p model is a mess. 

Wrong a couple examples lotro you buy rohan then go f2p they have a content update in rohan you either need to sub or buy the new area. Two Age of Conan you buy godslayer expansion then go f2p you can only get into khitia if you sub or buy the area for a few days or a week. They all do it, this not free enough is such a joke. If you play 3.5 hours a week its <$1/hr for entertainment.

Wrong a couple examples lotro you buy rohan then go f2p they have a content update in rohan you either need to sub or buy the new area. Two Age of Conan you buy godslayer expansion then go f2p you can only get into khitia if you sub or buy the area for a few days or a week. They all do it, this not free enough is such a joke. If you play 3.5 hours a week its <$1/hr for entertainment.

When i buy a quest pack for 5$ in LOTRO i get all the content (including instances/raids) forever for all my characters.

When i buy weekly pass: operations for 2,5$ in SWTOR i get to do raids for 1 week on 1 character.

Yup, its sure the same.

Consider Makeb (compared to LOTRO), it was 20$ questpack that didnt include ANY of other content in the so called expansion (you still had to buy weekly passes for ops/FPs). When i pay 30$ for Rohan i get ALL content forever on all of my characters. When i paid 30$ for Isengard i got ALL content in it including instance cluster released few months AFTER Isengard exapansion was released.

OR i could buy it piecemeal IF i didnt want it all bundeled and skip questpack or instance cluster.

Its not even close bro.

Just to add, there is a few things they did right, i really like collections and that is exactly the thing they should monetize, not quickbars/artifact gear.... and such nonsense. Thats why their extended free trial fails.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

When i buy a quest pack for 5$ in LOTRO i get all the content (including instances/raids) forever for all my characters.

When i buy weekly pass: operations for 2,5$ in SWTOR i get to do raids for 1 week on 1 character.

Yup, its sure the same.

Consider Makeb (compared to LOTRO), it was 20$ questpack that didnt include ANY of other content in the so called expansion (you still had to buy weekly passes for ops/FPs). When i pay 30$ for Rohan i get ALL content forever on all of my characters. When i paid 30$ for Isengard i got ALL content in it including instance cluster released few months AFTER Isengard exapansion was released.

OR i could buy it piecemeal IF i didnt want it all bundeled and skip questpack or instance cluster.

Its not even close bro.

Just to add, there is a few things they did right, i really like collections and that is exactly the thing they should monetize, not quickbars/artifact gear.... and such nonsense. Thats why their extended free trial fails.

It seems like you are the only one who read what i wrote. Thank you for giving detailed example. I hope these 2 SWToR jedi defenders now realize what I am talking about.   

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Wrong a couple examples lotro you buy rohan then go f2p they have a content update in rohan you either need to sub or buy the new area. Two Age of Conan you buy godslayer expansion then go f2p you can only get into khitia if you sub or buy the area for a few days or a week. They all do it, this not free enough is such a joke. If you play 3.5 hours a week its <$1/hr for entertainment. </b>When i buy a quest pack for 5$ in LOTRO i get all the content (including instances/raids) forever for all my characters.When i buy weekly pass: operations for 2,5$ in SWTOR i get to do raids for 1 week on 1 character.Yup, its sure the same.Consider Makeb (compared to LOTRO), it was 20$ questpack that didnt include ANY of other content in the so called expansion (you still had to buy weekly passes for ops/FPs). When i pay 30$ for Rohan i get ALL content forever on all of my characters. When i paid 30$ for Isengard i got ALL content in it including instance cluster released few months AFTER Isengard exapansion was released.OR i could buy it piecemeal IF i didnt want it all bundeled and skip questpack or instance cluster.Its not even close bro.Just to add, there is a few things they did right, i really like collections and that is exactly the thing they should monetize, not quickbars/artifact gear.... and such nonsense. Thats why their extended free trial fails.

You missed my point. Rohan added content and instances. If you purchased ror and subbed you got that for free. If you purchased ror and are not subbed you need to pay for the content. I see you did not try to counter age of conan bro. This not free enough is such a joke. So all you need to do is pay $15 then you would get an extra week free to raid your heart away...well if you actually played the game. I have no sympathy for those who cry any f2p game is not free enough. Ah yes extended trial? Entire original game on more than one toon from 1-50 yep sounds like a free trial to me.

Yup, its sure the same.

Its not even close bro.

You missed my point. Rohan added content and instances. If you purchased ror and subbed you got that for free. If you purchased ror and are not subbed you need to pay for the content. I see you did not try to counter age of conan bro. This not free enough is such a joke. So all you need to do is pay $15 then you would get an extra week free to raid your heart away...well if you actually played the game. I have no sympathy for those who cry any f2p game is not free enough. Ah yes extended trial? Entire original game on more than one toon from 1-50 yep sounds like a free trial to me.

No you didnt, if you bought RoR you got EVERYTHING in it forever and ever account wide.

And if you bought ROTHC all you got is questpack.

And who said there are no bad "F2P" options out there? You might throw in EQ2 that was almost as bad as SWTOR, still worse than AoC.

WoW is also "F2P" by that logic, 1-20. oh wait....no it isnt. Its called FREE TRIAL.

This discussion has been closed.