Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is an MMO great??? let me count the ways....

KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

1.... no dealing with sub prime people that are not invested in a win. They would not waste time if that was only way for advancement

2.....people interested a bit in rep since they will be on the shard for while.

3.....temporary doesn't raise it's head except in the very beginning.

Comments

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    I didn't understand any of this.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

And .. he forgot to mention which mmo was "great".

Lot of people interested in a great one, it's been a few years...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I think he just called me "sub prime" !!

Not sure I like the sound of that!  image

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Karble

1.... no dealing with sub prime people that are not invested in a win. They would not waste time if that was only way for advancement

This is an interesting post. I believe the lack of my usual depth or meaning is strange to me. I will try to clarify this thread a bit, since my tired doppleganger must have typed it at some point.

The first section has do to with how totally crappy people choose to socialize with one another in several other popular pc game styles.

A few examples of this.

Battlefield online first person shooter servers. The amount of horrible things said in almost any session is almost enough to make me sick.

Sure the game is adrenaline filled over the top action, but it's a game and there are real people behind each of those screens saying all manor of garbage to each other.

Starcraft 2  online match making 3v3 4v4 games.

You have people literally attacking team mates for a spawn location, also using totally disgusting talk about 1/4 of the time.

The second part is basically just a statement about how an MMORPG is structured. You have one location that everyone is and they all share the place and enjoy it. So there is more courtesy shown most of the time. Plus people can get banned from the MMO for breaking the rules which is another good measure that doesn't seem to exist in other style games.

and the third part has mainly to do with how much time a person invests in a character and the community in an MMO compared to the other style games I mentioned. It seems the interweb anonymity combined with shorter duration games against people you may not see again brings out a dark side of many. It just speaks to the state of gaming and how things have evolved.

Basically I believe I was saying how most MMO's I have been involved with have had players who were normal and nice....with very few exceptions. The same can not be said for the other style games. Wish I could say otherwise.

• momoxiemomoxie Member Posts: 2
    complex and confused....
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

And this meshes with the fact people complain about the community in MMOs, have constant remarks about how people like to grief one another in even PvE, and the retention rate is somewhere around flailingly low...how?

r was this a thread based on irony?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

This is an interesting post. I believe the lack of my usual depth or meaning is strange to me. I will try to clarify this thread a bit, since my tired doppleganger must have typed it at some point.

The first section has do to with how totally crappy people choose to socialize with one another in several other popular pc game styles.

A few examples of this.

Battlefield online first person shooter servers. The amount of horrible things said in almost any session is almost enough to make me sick.

Sure the game is adrenaline filled over the top action, but it's a game and there are real people behind each of those screens saying all manor of garbage to each other.

Starcraft 2  online match making 3v3 4v4 games.

You have people literally attacking team mates for a spawn location, also using totally disgusting talk about 1/4 of the time.

The second part is basically just a statement about how an MMORPG is structured. You have one location that everyone is and they all share the place and enjoy it. So there is more courtesy shown most of the time. Plus people can get banned from the MMO for breaking the rules which is another good measure that doesn't seem to exist in other style games.

and the third part has mainly to do with how much time a person invests in a character and the community in an MMO compared to the other style games I mentioned. It seems the interweb anonymity combined with shorter duration games against people you may not see again brings out a dark side of many. It just speaks to the state of gaming and how things have evolved.

Basically I believe I was saying how most MMO's I have been involved with have had players who were normal and nice....with very few exceptions. The same can not be said for the other style games. Wish I could say otherwise.

So it sounds like you might be saying that MMO's have better community than than competitive FPS shooters or competitive RTS games.  I think I could agree on that based  on there is probably a lot of competitive "trash talk " going on in such games.  Some people take that personally and in some cases it does get personal.  Don't play those games unless you are prepared to handle it.

MMO's unless you are playing PvP  ( and sometimes even those) generally have better community because MMO's should require player cooperation ingame.   Hence you have to be nice or players punish you.

If that is your point I agree with you and your doppleganger!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!