Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a lobby game ?

Been playing casual for about three weeks, I got my White Mage only to level 37.

I have a real life friend that I run a few dungeons with, and an extremely strong guild.  I'll admit that I haven't been utilizing the guild much or playing with my friend, but for a reason.

I don't seem to need them except for the lobby aspects of the game.  My story line seems to take most of my time and that has to be done solo.....The only thing I could think of doing with a group is running Fiats and that's kind of boring......I have thousands of people around me yet, I feel alone.

Is this really just a lobby game ?

Comments

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Aren't all MMOs "lobby games" if you play them like that?

Frankly I've never understood the term. People claim that all anyone does in WoW is sit in Org or Stormwind, so it's a "lobby game" -- make sure to say that with the appropriate self-congratulatory sneer. And yet, oddly enough, on my periodic forays back into WoW that's not how I see any of my friends play, not even remotely close.

You can do nothing but solo in just about any modern MMO. You can do nothing but sit in town/space station/whatever and spin your ship/park your mammoth over the mailbox/whatever in between playing the AH or queuing up for whatever there is to queue for. You can play all of them any number of different ways, but never make the assumption that how some people play -- which it would seem for most around here is to stand around town preening like a peacock whilst bitching about there being nothing to do -- is how everyone, or even a significant number of others, play.

So personally I'd say that no, FFXIV ARR is not a 'lobby game' because frankly the term is utterly meaningless in context. It is a game where there are a variety of options and ways you can play, including playing it as a 'lobby game' if that's your wont -- the choice is up to you.

Whether the choices available are sufficient or to your liking, that's another question.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

yeah, if you choose to play like that then yes I suppose it is. For the majority of the people that play MMO's to play WITH other people, it is not.

Of course you can solo, and yest certain parts of your story quest require you to be solo, but that is not the 'norm' unless YOU make it that way.

TL:DR - You are a lobby type player imo, the game is not mean to be nor does it require you to play like it is a lobby.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Running Fiats... I love this thread.

Things like crafting and gathering obviously happen in the open world. All in all there's a lot of socialization if you choose to engage in it.

Playing with people from your own server is always the best choice, at least until cross-server friend list makes it in the game.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

It seems like a lobby game because it has one of the smallest so called open world in recent MMOS. Small boxed in zones with invisible walls...makes it feel like an instanced lobby game. I felt the same once i got out of Gridania. It is not even about FATES but the way zones are designed. 

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by page975

I have thousands of people around me yet, I feel alone.

That line has been said for almost every MMO released over the years. If you don't try to socialize with those around you, then don't blame them for feeling alone. That's applicable to all MMOs and not just this one. It's true that cliques may have been established between those people, but there's no one stopping you from being friendly.

In my server, I actively joined and created linkshells for different purposes: social chat with randoms, for chatting with friends across different guilds, and for ease in creating same-server PUGs. Perhaps that's one of the pros/cons of the game in that most of the social activity occurs in linkshells/FCs, but just the same it's really up to you if you want to go out of your way to meet people or not.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Like the other guy said it feels like a lobby game probably because they way zones are designed. It is a step back in every possible way from an open world MMO and funny thing is that people say FFXIV is old school.
  • EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Like the other guy said it feels like a lobby game probably because they way zones are designed. It is a step back in every possible way from an open world MMO and funny thing is that people say FFXIV is old school.

Ummm you do know Everquest had zones. And there were games before Everquest that used zones.

Also like I mentioned in another thread. Final Fantasy is a franchise that is not known for its open world sandboxy gameplay.

This isnt Elder Scroll series, its Final Fantasy

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by page975

Been playing casual for about three weeks, I got my White Mage only to level 37.

I have a real life friend that I run a few dungeons with, and an extremely strong guild.  I'll admit that I haven't been utilizing the guild much or playing with my friend, but for a reason.

I don't seem to need them except for the lobby aspects of the game.  My story line seems to take most of my time and that has to be done solo.....The only thing I could think of doing with a group is running Fiats and that's kind of boring......I have thousands of people around me yet, I feel alone.

Is this really just a lobby game ?

Why do you have to "need" people to want to play with other people? This is something commonly expressed by MMO gamers yet I don't think I will ever truly understand this mentality.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

FFXIV does push the genre more in that direction with its inability to sit in queues (the lobby) while doing much else. It is a shame that large parts of the game are inaccessible while waiting for the duty finder. Not to say there is NOTHING you can do while waiting, but their choices to limit what you can do is annoying. Let's see how much the Duty Finder shoots FFXIV ARR in the foot:

1. You can't level your Chocobo

2. You can't progress your main quest (past any forced-solo content) 

3. You can't take advantage of FATE groups (and getting credit is difficult with lots of groups around) 

4. You can't group with anyone period (helping friends, family, guild etc.)

Does that make it a Lobby Game? No, there's still a ton you can do while waiting. But their decisions with regards to game design and multi-tasking are annoying at least. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Ummm you do know Everquest had zones. And there were games before Everquest that used zones.

Also like I mentioned in another thread. Final Fantasy is a franchise that is not known for its open world sandboxy gameplay.

This isnt Elder Scroll series, its Final Fantasy

Everquest had open world zones where invisible walls didn't stop you jumping off the ledge or small rock formation. Only because all MMOs use zones doesn't mean it is a same thing. No one said anything about sandbox though.