Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Rift Dying ?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

is Rift Dying i dont see alot of ppls online

im all days online :D but looks like every day lower populations

all shard are medium /low

Comments

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

I like RIFT a lot. I like most of its content but i quit playing only because of the low performance of the client. Its truly unacceptable.

As for the OP's question, imo yes, it is dying.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Like others have said, going f2p doesn't fix the problems that caused it to go f2p in the first place, just gives the game a stay of execution.
  • tasburathtasburath Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by crasset15
    I hope so. There's too many wow clones already.

Actually, I would rather have WoW die instead.  They make it worse with each update and expansion.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

RIFT was already dead before Free to play. The F2P got them some players but as soon as they saw and understood Trions agenda, they left.

I was one of them.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

On the other hand, there aren't many games better than RIFT right now.

I think that mmo's a decade ago had a big step ahead, but now they are stuck. Something must happen to take genre some steps forward again.

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58
    I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it's "dying", however I can see a large drop in my shards population now that the f2p buzz has worn off. It's a shame really because it offers a lot of really great ideas, but for some reason player retention is still a problem.
    As long they dont fix client performance the game will dying. I m not saying that if the performance was better RIFT would have millions of players, but i m sure it would have many times more than the current player base.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by davc123

is Rift Dying i dont see alot of ppls online

im all days online :D but looks like every day lower populations

all shard are medium /low

Have to say that during the holiday summer season the game was allot more populated then when I jump on at sort of off hours. Weekends also work best if you are looking for more pop. playing.

Kinda been the thing with almost any MMO/rpg.

For now I am sticking with it. Having fun, seeing there is more depth to the game then I thought. Not sure if the raid comment by Torvaldr was meant towards endgame. So far my 2 main characters 35/36 just have done a few raids but there is allot more to do for me ingame.

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Gameplay is nothing new, graphics are not stunning and the setting and plot are uninspired. I'm surprised it survived this long. And I didn't even get the hype when it came out.

But that's just my opinion.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Haven't played in around 2 weeks but the game always seems very populated to me.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Shorun

Gameplay is nothing new, graphics are not stunning and the setting and plot are uninspired. I'm surprised it survived this long. And I didn't even get the hype when it came out.

Probably because it's the most well made WoW clone out of all of them.

I can never get into it personally, everything feels soulless and corporate driven. It feels like a bunch of smart executives designed this game, as opposed to actual gamers.

• ValaraukoGRValaraukoGR Member Posts: 78

Rift has many issues, but i'm pretty sure that it's not dieding. Comparing to my WoW server, Zaviel is alive and kicking:

• AH is very active
    • You can always find pug raids for weeklies 
    • and for FT/EE/TotDQ
    • you can easily pug for DDR

well that's more than enough for an active server.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Shorun

It can't be said enough: they named their game after a gameplay feature.

That's pretty much admitting that your setting and plot have absolutely nothing going on for them.

Honestly, though; it can be a good thing too. The devs of The Exiled Realm of Arborea didn't take the hint and had to pay for it. With a name like that, they should have just went with Good MMO Combat: The Game.

At least Rifts subtitle can(should) be omitted.

Writing this post made me yawn uncontrollably.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I played it at launch and probably longer then I should of only because little else was out.  However it always felt mediocre to me and I knew I wouldnt stick with it.  I had higher expectations of the RIFTS themselves but that turned out to be a big disappointment
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    I played it at launch and probably longer then I should of only because little else was out.  However it always felt mediocre to me and I knew I wouldnt stick with it.  I had higher expectations of the RIFTS themselves but that turned out to be a big disappointment

pretty much sums up my experience as well but I didn't stick with it as long.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

btw Rift is better then wow

I have played rift and wow and im not a big fan of either game, but rift is just a cheaper version of wow in every sense. I wish rift was actually about rifts and not raids like it was initially supposed to be.

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

I have played rift and wow and im not a big fan of either game, but rift is just a cheaper version of wow in every sense. I wish rift was actually about rifts and not raids like it was initially supposed to be.

I play rift a lot and I just cant see the similarities with WOW.

Sorry but in wow you cant talk to your enemies...alliance and horde are forever locked form each other.

You can talk to each other in RIFT and even join and play together.

Wow has a new expansion that lets you now automatically be bale to level any character you want to maximum level and get free gear with it....no play required.  In fact they are going to offer this as something you can buy from wow's cash shop....that is the ultimate PAY to Win example....might as well just go play Progress quest with stuff like that.  I understand Sony is thinking about having this same sort of thing for Everquest as well.

Cant do that with rift.

In addition wow requires a subscription...you can try it for free up to level 20 but have everything nerfed on you....and then you have to pay to play after that.  Sooo....that's pay to win...sorry to say.

But Rift you can play for free up to any levels and get free items every day.  Their cash shop doesn't have all items from the game listed but you can favorite items you find form vendors to have them available later.  And be able to buy things for planarite and things the cash shop only sells for real cash.

So anywise aside form both being fantasy games...with wow being a total rip off copy of warhammer fantasy from games work shop(they even mimic the same accents on the orks how sad is that?)...I am just not seeing a clone of wow.

Maybe if Rift added some kung fu pandas or an ork who yells at you in tons of cuscnes about how great he is....and then proceed to make the game a grind fest of killing wolves to get fangs and also add invisible walls all over...cant forget those, then it might be close to a wow clone.

Also rift hasn't been around 2 years yet...so seeing the oldest posts form players talking like they played a long while back when they only actually played a month before they posted is kind of humorous.  

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Wow what a necro thread.  Rift's doing pretty well actually.  It's a solid title.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Plageron
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

I play rift a lot and I just cant see the similarities with WOW.

Sorry but in wow you cant talk to your enemies...alliance and horde are forever locked form each other.

You can talk to each other in RIFT and even join and play together.

Wow has a new expansion that lets you now automatically be bale to level any character you want to maximum level and get free gear with it....no play required.  In fact they are going to offer this as something you can buy from wow's cash shop....that is the ultimate PAY to Win example....might as well just go play Progress quest with stuff like that.  I understand Sony is thinking about having this same sort of thing for Everquest as well.

Cant do that with rift.

In addition wow requires a subscription...you can try it for free up to level 20 but have everything nerfed on you....and then you have to pay to play after that.  Sooo....that's pay to win...sorry to say.

But Rift you can play for free up to any levels and get free items every day.  Their cash shop doesn't have all items from the game listed but you can favorite items you find form vendors to have them available later.  And be able to buy things for planarite and things the cash shop only sells for real cash.

So anywise aside form both being fantasy games...with wow being a total rip off copy of warhammer fantasy from games work shop(they even mimic the same accents on the orks how sad is that?)...I am just not seeing a clone of wow.

Maybe if Rift added some kung fu pandas or an ork who yells at you in tons of cuscnes about how great he is....and then proceed to make the game a grind fest of killing wolves to get fangs and also add invisible walls all over...cant forget those, then it might be close to a wow clone.

Also rift hasn't been around 2 years yet...so seeing the oldest posts form players talking like they played a long while back when they only actually played a month before they posted is kind of humorous.  

If you play Rift and dont see the similarities with WoW it means one of two things.  Youve never played WoW or youve never played an MMORPG besides Rift, WoW and SWTOR and think the enormous number of things they have in common are genre standards.  Its less exaggerated now than it was at launch, but they are still extremely similar.

"Talking to the enemy"...here is an example of how Rift and WoW were closer at launch.   Yes, in Rift the two sides are kind of friends now and you can be guilded and group with each other.   thus removing the entire point of having two warring factions.

In WoW's new expansion you CAN NOT get to max level.  You can right now because the level cap hasnt been raised yet, but the intention isnt for a max level toon...you can get to the start of the WoD but not to the top.  And its highly unlikely that Rift wont be adding something similar.  You know what you can do in Rift that you cant in WoW?  Buy high end gear.  

And are you truly criticizing WoW by saying its a grind when Rift is worse with grind?  Well, not PvP.  You can just buy your way to the top gear there.

But since you want to talk about how the games are different, how about going with how WoW has actual personality.  People actually like at least some of the races.  When there are 50 people in an area in WoW they dont load in as green condoms.  And WoW didnt have to go f2p to retain a modest population.

Oh and Rift released in march 2011.  its been out over 3 years.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

WoW is a clone of D&D which is a clone of the J.R.R Tolkien books, nothing original about Orcs at war with Humans.

BTW Rift is probably doing fine.

Edit:

Spelling

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Imo Rift is a good solid game, with a relative small population, but its not dying. I myself sometimes go back and play it a bit or see what changed etc. I m happy to see that Trion still support this game and add content with a good pace. Btw it has an excellent f2p system :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW is a clone of D&D which is a clone of the J.R.R Tolkien books, nothing original about Orcs at war with Humans.

BTW Rift is probably doing fine.

Edit:

Spelling

seriously?  J.R.R.Tolkien?

Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Gandalf didnt put abilities in three talent trees, and frodo didnt grind tiered raids for tokens for gear.  Sam didnt perform gather/click/no fail combine/guaranteed skill up crafting.  Gimli didnt do the same dungeon at level 15 and at max level.  The war between the forces of middle earth and mordor didnt take place in instanced mini games.  Legolas didnt use a 5 combo point system for stealth builds.  And Aragorn didnt see the world through that familiar looking overused UI.

Neither did anyone in EQ for that matter.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Rift like many other MMO's suffers from high turnover because people simply don't want to level and gear up again. Most of us have been doing it for years and are just tired of it. Not that I prefer there to be no leveling, but until someone changes the way it happens games like this will suffer. We all leveled multiple characters in WoW and EQ, then the next games to come out expects us to do it all over, then find a new guild to raid in. It's fatigue. Be ready for instant level 60 characters for Rift soon just like the rest of them. A shame because its probably in the top 3 best MMO's out. There are just too many games out that let you instantly/shortly after starting get in to the action. 
    Originally posted by kikosforever
    Imo Rift is a good solid game, with a relative small population, but its not dying. I myself sometimes go back and play it a bit or see what changed etc. I m happy to see that Trion still support this game and add content with a good pace. Btw it has an excellent f2p system :)

this is unbiased truth, and without bashing WoW or making absurd statements

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Lets be honest it started dying as soon as it went F2P. F2P is basically the grim reaper of mmorpgs when it loams its time to read the last rites.