Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to play now?

funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

I have been having the same problem for a long time. The only MMO I really ever loved was EQ.  Yeah I think Vanguard is amazing...but its too empty to enjoy it.  I played AOC and it was okay too, but it just does not seem to work for me. I have played pretty much everything from the main markets.  I am considering doing some WoW even. 

I think my favorite part of EQ was being forced to group up and work with others to really excel.  It is not because I enjoyed the hard work or time sinks built in, It was despite that.  I never got into raiding, and or much pvp.

I enjoy different aspect of the trinity with tanking being my favorite.   I also liked characters like Shaman from eq, slowing dotting, off healing.

So any suggestions? How is FF14 for someone more into casual grouping than raiding? Is it just a matter of finding the right guild again? Or is WoW (Which I have not played in over 3 years, pre Cata)

I am not pining for the experience of what EQ was. I recognize the awful flaws in the game, from campsites constantly camped, terrible pathing and just generally being dickish to one another in some cases.  Yet, the team work and friendships were all fantastic.

Comments

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

The Secret World forces you to group up and the supposedly flexible system seems to boil down into the trinity.

This MMO sounds like a reasonable match for what you are looking for.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i would say give FFXIV a shot if you are looking for a more traditional mmo experience. personally, im no longer really a fan of that kind of game, but this one has me hooked pretty hard.

the Storyline quests are very well done, but are solo content except for the dungeons and the Primal showdowns which are 4 person. FATEs are always better when grouped as the xp and chance at gold level reward are much higher that way.

honestly, i played WoW for a long time and couldn't stand going back to it at this point. just simply because of burnout, its a solid game. but i think FFXIV is a solid game as well and i'm enjoying it thoroughly.

also, if you enjoy tanking there is apparently an overall shortage right now. Yoshi has said they are planning on incentivizing tanking like they did healing. healers get a unicorn mount if they take CNJ up to lvl 30 for instance. so finding a group in the dungeon finder more than likely wouldn't be a problem for you.

the two tank choices start off as Gladiator GLD or Marauder MRD. GLD goes on to PLD Paladin which is a sword and board approach, while MRD moves into WAR Warrior which is a two hander tank. right now, from what i hear PLD is the preferred class as MRD needs some tweaking. however, as a healer, i haven't had too many problems running with either class. so perhaps its at endgame that the differences show up the most.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by funyahns

I have been having the same problem for a long time. The only MMO I really ever loved was EQ.  Yeah I think Vanguard is amazing...but its too empty to enjoy it.  I played AOC and it was okay too, but it just does not seem to work for me. I have played pretty much everything from the main markets.  I am considering doing some WoW even. 

I think my favorite part of EQ was being forced to group up and work with others to really excel.  It is not because I enjoyed the hard work or time sinks built in, It was despite that.  I never got into raiding, and or much pvp.

I enjoy different aspect of the trinity with tanking being my favorite.   I also liked characters like Shaman from eq, slowing dotting, off healing.

So any suggestions? How is FF14 for someone more into casual grouping than raiding? Is it just a matter of finding the right guild again? Or is WoW (Which I have not played in over 3 years, pre Cata)

I am not pining for the experience of what EQ was. I recognize the awful flaws in the game, from campsites constantly camped, terrible pathing and just generally being dickish to one another in some cases.  Yet, the team work and friendships were all fantastic.

Try looking at Wurm Onine, even if its for 10 mins. Its free to play if you so choose, or there is a subscription which you can get also. But my thoughts are at least to check it out, there is nothing to lose. Feel free to PM me if you want as i would be able to at least explain to you some things new players would other wise not know.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    The Secret World

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe