Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My impressions of FFXIV ARR

2»

Comments

• vyvozvyvoz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

If you "took your time" you wouldn't be finished with the game in a few weeks. After a month maybe 10-15% of players are in the lvl41-50 range as per data provided by SE so you are speaking for merely a fraction of the playerbase here. I've yet to hit lvl30 on my first battle class after more than a month.

That you say FATEs are main source of leveling up is incredibly hilarious to me considering I've done more dungeons on my secondary class which give nice exp, loot and teach me how to play a new role. Of course DPS has to wait for the DF queue but for that purpose FATE's are as good as any. I personally find dungeons tons more fun than FATE's, but obviously you just "have to do solely FATEs" because they give like 10% more exp per hour or something as silly.

In a nutshell if you play the game wrong, you won't like it. If that's the case, listen to this review and don't subscribe!

some people have plenty of gaming hours and play fast skipping all the conversations, maybe you don't.

i definitely don't have the luxury of more than 2 hours ffxiv game time a day and i love to read the conversations.

so it took me tremendous amount of time to lvl up.

still, you can't force how you play to others.

to OP : i believe you mentioned playing ffxi? if you have played since english release you'd know that during those times leveling up is a worse b!tch than ARR now. the only way would be to find static groups and grind the whole day on a single type of mob for 1 level up >.< sometimes you can't find leveling groups for the day and it really pisses me off.

not the case in current version of ffxi, but thats after several expansions.

so i believe expansions will come for the better, pvp was definitely mentioned and raid dungeons in coming expansion, and larger raid (crystal tower if im not mistaken) scheduled in the future...

have you gotten the relic +1 weapons tho? i don't think that can be done in a week or 2, unless you're really putting crazy hours in the game.

also you need to socialize, this is MMO, keyword "Multiplayer", join an LS and/or FC, be a part of the family, youll be surprised. 

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by vyvoz
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

If you "took your time" you wouldn't be finished with the game in a few weeks. After a month maybe 10-15% of players are in the lvl41-50 range as per data provided by SE so you are speaking for merely a fraction of the playerbase here. I've yet to hit lvl30 on my first battle class after more than a month.

That you say FATEs are main source of leveling up is incredibly hilarious to me considering I've done more dungeons on my secondary class which give nice exp, loot and teach me how to play a new role. Of course DPS has to wait for the DF queue but for that purpose FATE's are as good as any. I personally find dungeons tons more fun than FATE's, but obviously you just "have to do solely FATEs" because they give like 10% more exp per hour or something as silly.

In a nutshell if you play the game wrong, you won't like it. If that's the case, listen to this review and don't subscribe!

some people have plenty of gaming hours and play fast skipping all the conversations, maybe you don't.

i definitely don't have the luxury of more than 2 hours ffxiv game time a day and i love to read the conversations.

so it took me tremendous amount of time to lvl up.

still, you can't force how you play to others.

to OP : i believe you mentioned playing ffxi? if you have played since english release you'd know that during those times leveling up is a worse b!tch than ARR now. the only way would be to find static groups and grind the whole day on a single type of mob for 1 level up >.< sometimes you can't find leveling groups for the day and it really pisses me off.

not the case in current version of ffxi, but thats after several expansions.

so i believe expansions will come for the better, pvp was definitely mentioned and raid dungeons in coming expansion, and larger raid (crystal tower if im not mistaken) scheduled in the future...

have you gotten the relic +1 weapons tho? i don't think that can be done in a week or 2, unless you're really putting crazy hours in the game.

also you need to socialize, this is MMO, keyword "Multiplayer", join an LS and/or FC, be a part of the family, youll be surprised. 

See the thing about FFXI is I quit playing when they added all the speed leveling crap, I enjoyed the games incredibly slow leveling and grinding.  The content was fun and engaging and the story was pretty good for an mmo at the time.  I didn't level fast by any means I just have more time to play each day than you do and as far as socializing that kind of goes out the window when people are zerging fates and talking smack the higher you get.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Datastar

Let me start by saying I am not trying to flame this game or what its trying to achieve in anyway, I view mmorpgs as artwork to be appreciated some will speak to you others will not for me FFXIV ARR did not speak to me.

Graphics: The graphics in this game are phenomenal from skill animations to character model detail and the world itself which makes this game very resource dependent on your Rig.  At times during huge fates and in certain areas the poor optimization client-side shines through.

Music: Excellent nuff said

Story: uhg.....where to begin well its forced down your throat like molasses on your worst day.  In my honest opinion it has been the worst Final Fantasy Story ive ever experienced, it feels as if the English version was rushed.  Not everything is voice acted which really further ruins it for me. The story missions even force you to go to dungeons which I don't mind but I know several who didn't enjoy that aspect of the game. 

Combat: Honestly run of the mill generic here with the exception of cross class abilities but even that becomes limited after unlocked an advanced job, the flashy skill effects only hides this factor for so long. The limit break system is neat but not as in depth as one would hope.

Leveling: Huge reason I have unsubscribed, The quests are dull the fates except a few just feel uninspired.  Dungeons while nicely designed don't offer enough exp versus time spent to be worth a second run through. Once you complete a quest its complete forever leaving you with less and less options to level up which turns into endless zerg rushing fates.  There is no fun in trying to race to fate before a zerg of 50+ people take it down in under 10 seconds. Leve's and Guilhests are Ok but could be much improved apon, atm there is no reason to do a guildhest mission more than once and Leve's while a good idea seem uninspired and unrealized at this time.  The thought of leveling a second class much less a third is daunting at best.

Fates: (Yes these get a special category as they are the main source of leveling) The fates in this game are incredibly dull zerg fests that turn into a race to see if you an get in a hit before they vanish, some fates are better than others in terms of fun factor.  The issue is to many people zerg them so they go down so fast your lucky to get in a hit before they are done some of them are huge boss like Fates that I feel are perfect but the smaller fates just are not worth going out of your way for most of the time.

Group Play: This I feel is the best aspect of FFXIV ARR and also the worst,  The dungeons have a decent deal of good atmosphere and typically challenge the group post level 30. The endgame is not yet complete as more content is scheduled to be released in an upcoming patch but as it stands now its a massive repetitive grind that many will not complete.  The other huge issue I had during the End Game was just honestly some of the worst players I have ever seen causing wipes and out right being nasty.  Not to mention the elitism that comes with all end game scenarios.  I think the mix of very easy leveling content and console players and pc players on the same server just spells disaster, now im not saying console players are bad but there were a few times where I had to tell someone he's not playing call of duty and to stop pulling packs of mobs in the dungeon please.....

Final Thoughts: The game is fun for a couple of weeks in its current state but I cannot justify a subscription fee at this time, while I appreciate the IP and Final Fantasy as a whole I feel like they are going to have to seriously step it up if they wish to be a pay to play mmorpg in todays market, I wish SE the very best and I will be keeping a close eye on the forums to see if any of the issues get ironed out but as with many of the mmorpgs I have played you can always smell an impending flop and its best to jump ship before you get sucked under.  Though I hope im proved wrong I really do.

and adjustmeants are being made soon so yea mmos are ever changing

• vyvozvyvoz Member Posts: 24

ha, i would love to see harder leveling, gives you sense of achievement when you finally capped. of course i mean hard in more leveling time wise not the hard to find lvling party part :p

as of now i have to agree leveling is a bit too fast and you can do it solo.

but hey i guess MMO makers nowadays are catering for the larger demographic pie which i assume would want everything instant. heck i'm not going to be surprised if anyone asked to start at 50 lol.

guess you and i old school mmo gamer are getting too old for mmos >.<</p>

and i'm sorry you got to deal for the smack talking BS, i happen to be lucky enough to be in a LS/FC with nice ppl all around, generally helpful, and mostly adults. casual but not sucking in primal hard mode / end game in general.

so its been fun for me socializing in game.

and FATE... yeah like all public events i've participate in they're all zerg fest, RIFT, GW2 and now ARR... and public events like these are the new staple in MMO, so you gotta suck it if you're going to play any new MMO. sorry but i don't see how you can have public events w/o some sort of zerging involved, unless you're in a deserted server.

BUT... since i level slowly, most of the players are already doing FATEs 10 lvl above me (i guess), and as of now i don't see many zerging in my FATE experience compared to the first week after launch. i'm in the Hyperion legacy server btw, and that is one full server. so no excuse for low pop server.