Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Is The Population On Mortal Online? I Have Played A Bit

2»

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Anubisan
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    The game is dead. Sorry.

Don't listen to this guy. There are a bunch of people on this particular forum who will say nothing but negative things about the game. Most of it is completely untrue.

The population is strong at the moment. There were several huge battles this weekend with hundreds of players participating. My alliance had over 90 people in our teamspeak alone and the enemy force was quite large as well. If large scale battles and territorial control is your thing, this is the game for you.

Agree here.  There's certainly enough of a population in the game to play with and make the game enjoyable.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Originally posted by Zeeraha

I popped in again on Friday and Saturday evening Central EU time. Tindrem bank seemed really decently populated, I counted 20 people + around 5 people per each district and graveyard was really crowded, which makes game feel quite a live. 

Few dozens in the capital is your definition of crowded? Everything's relative, I guess.. =/

Exactly...

Unfortunately the game has NEVER had the population required to sustain it.  This has been since it  launched over 3 years ago.  They have very brief spikes when they put out a patch (usually named an expansion) but have never, EVER been able to sustain growth.

They have managed to dodge death by borrowing money, getting donations from fans and recently investment from 3rd parties.  None of which would have to happen if the population was thriving.  Heck, a DEV in DFUW recently said they had 20 THOUSAND subs and needed more (I think he said 15k more) to be profitable and support a large enough team to crank out improvements and content.  As you can see from their financials, SV has roughly 1/10th of that...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I popped in again on Friday and Saturday evening Central EU time. Tindrem bank seemed really decently populated, I counted 20 people + around 5 people per each district and graveyard was really crowded, which makes game feel quite a live. 

Few dozens in the capital is your definition of crowded? Everything's relative, I guess.. =/

Heck, a DEV in DFUW recently said they had 20 THOUSAND subs and needed more (I think he said 15k more) to be profitable and support a large enough team to crank out improvements and content.  As you can see from their financials, SV has roughly 1/10th of that...

Common... Don't tell me you believe what a drunk dev said. Not even the hardcore DFUW fans believed that. I played both games and none of them are crowded. But Agon seems more empty since it's bigger then Nave. Both games suffer. But AV has 40-50 devs while SV has 3-4 devs. So AV prolly suffers alot more from low pop then SV.

• ZeerahaZeeraha Member UncommonPosts: 67

Exactly...

Unfortunately the game has NEVER had the population required to sustain it.  This has been since it  launched over 3 years ago.  They have very brief spikes when they put out a patch (usually named an expansion) but have never, EVER been able to sustain growth.

They have managed to dodge death by borrowing money, getting donations from fans and recently investment from 3rd parties.  None of which would have to happen if the population was thriving.  Heck, a DEV in DFUW recently said they had 20 THOUSAND subs and needed more (I think he said 15k more) to be profitable and support a large enough team to crank out improvements and content.  As you can see from their financials, SV has roughly 1/10th of that...

Taken from the info of latest quarterly report, and when including all operating and financial costs (including cost of sales), SV needs at least around 4600 mothly subs to be at zero loss/profit point. This is possible due to fact that thay have only 4 people on payroll.

Exactly...

Taken from the info of latest quarterly report, and when including all operating and financial costs (including cost of sales), SV needs at least around 4600 mothly subs to be at zero loss/profit point. This is possible due to fact that thay have only 4 people on payroll.

Sure that would get them to break even with 3 (Henrik, Paratus, Seb) on payroll (let me know who the 4th is).  The small team is one reason why the game is still struggling.  To actually thrive they would need a large enough team to crank out content to keep people interested.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Exactly...

Sure that would get them to break even with 3 (Henrik, Paratus, Seb) on payroll (let me know who the 4th is).  The small team is one reason why the game is still struggling.  To actually thrive they would need a large enough team to crank out content to keep people interested.

4th employee is LGM Discord. Their current development structure model is that they hire external sources (companies and individuals) to develop content, which also partially includes necessary coding. New continent is being already developed externally at this moment, I believe. Also, Henrik announced recently that they will do ingame asset cleanup/update (NPC placement, entity placement, map and art polishing) by external developer. This is separated from latest animations/chartextures donation goal.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

4th employee is LGM Discord. Their current development structure model is that they hire external sources (companies and individuals) to develop content, which also partially includes necessary coding. New continent is being already developed externally at this moment, I believe. Also, Henrik announced recently that they will do ingame asset cleanup/update (NPC placement, entity placement, map and art polishing) by external developer. This is separated from latest animations/chartextures donation goal.

I thought you said that it needs a learning curve of 6 months for a dev to be familiar with Sebastian's "advanced" code.But it seems that external (companies and individuals) sources can workaround that learning curve... 

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by argirop

I thought you said that it needs a learning curve of 6 months for a dev to be familiar with Sebastian's "advanced" code.But it seems that external (companies and individuals) sources can workaround that learning curve... 

Having actual programming experience does magic. 

• ExzyzExzyz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I seriously doubt theres 700-2000 person on at primetime. Maybe if theres an important siege or something. But usually my guess theres not more than a few hundred on at any given time.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Diphrael still plays.
  • argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

But that was their excuse for NOT hiring any professional developers... 

External developers do not code core game mechanics, MMO platform, nor UE modification. They can submit 3D art, built some supportive mechanics like flash UI that is implemented over the top of core code, even network solution can be outsourced. Henrik recently in MO forums stated that they are looking for inhouse coder. Inhouse coder integrates external solutions and codes core mechanics. Touching the core code is very sensitive and that's why it is hard to train that kind of coder.

External developers do not code core game mechanics, MMO platform, nor UE modification. They can submit 3D art, built some supportive mechanics like flash UI that is implemented over the top of core code, even network solution can be outsourced. Henrik recently in MO forums stated that they are looking for inhouse coder. Inhouse coder integrates external solutions and codes core mechanics. Touching the core code is very sensitive and that's why it is hard to train that kind of coder.

I call the usual SV bullshit on that one. Any coder that is worth his salt will be able to pick up someone else's program quick enough, given that it is well structured and commented. That's most likely the issue, their code is a mess, not that it is sensitive and advanced. 

I call the usual SV bullshit on that one. Any coder that is worth his salt will be able to pick up someone else's program quick enough, given that it is well structured and commented. That's most likely the issue, their code is a mess, not that it is sensitive and advanced. 

Unfortunately, it is not bullshit. I work on development of larger service platforms and we rely upon our own coders and external support at the same time. For our company it takes more than 6 months to introduce experienced programmer to handle API communication between own and external services. This does not include time to actually search for programmer. We are dealing with million of residential customers. Would you trust anyone prying open a platform, who got employed few months ago?

These are serious questions and when it comes to sensitive systems it is not easy to make fast decisions about trusting someone. SV had problems with own internal developers at launch, after they got burned, now they are blowing on cold.

Unfortunately, it is not bullshit. I work on development of larger service platforms and we rely upon our own coders and external support at the same time. For our company it takes more than 6 months to introduce experienced programmer to handle API communication between own and external services. This does not include time to actually search for programmer. We are dealing with million of residential customers. Would you trust anyone prying open a platform, who got employed few months ago?

These are serious questions and when it comes to sensitive systems it is not easy to make fast decisions about trusting someone. SV had problems with own internal developers at launch, after they got burned, now they are blowing on cold.

Interesting. I can understand being careful about large service platforms, but game programming? I've been part of multiplayer projects and while it is not same thing as a a fullscale mmo, I couldn't imagine it taking half a year to be efficient in the code. It is a generic RPG, after all, using many solutions similar to other games. 

Interesting. I can understand being careful about large service platforms, but game programming? I've been part of multiplayer projects and while it is not same thing as a a fullscale mmo, I couldn't imagine it taking half a year to be efficient in the code. It is a generic RPG, after all, using many solutions similar to other games. 

I think in SV's case it is more issue of risk handling. Although SV does not have many subs (around 2000), they are quite sensitive to not lose those subs. If core system falls due to even one line of code which is missing "free memory" command (I experienced it in one older project), whole server could go down after x amount of time online, without devs knowing the exact cause (it could be only a leak on reserved memory for one small process), only after extensive search while wasting precise time. This was only exagerated example. 

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    MMORPGs are by far the most complicated type of game to program. There is nothing else that comes anywhere close. And gamers are not any more tolerant of problems than consumers of other software... in fact they are less so in most cases.
    Originally posted by Anubisan
    MMORPGs are by far the most complicated type of game to program. There is nothing else that comes anywhere close.

Which is why, given the lack of experience the developers had... the result was a foregone conclusion.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

The answer is : Dead.

Move along.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think in SV's case it is more issue of risk handling. Although SV does not have many subs (around 2000), they are quite sensitive to not lose those subs. If core system falls due to even one line of code which is missing "free memory" command (I experienced it in one older project), whole server could go down after x amount of time online, without devs knowing the exact cause (it could be only a leak on reserved memory for one small process), only after extensive search while wasting precise time. This was only exagerated example. 

All these technical details aside, the BIGGER question is how can SV possibility afford a decent programmer, whether it is per job or perm basis?

As someone said before 2k subs they earn monthly around $30k not including borrowed money and donations.

$30K split between the already existing staffs, bosses own takings, cost of maintaining hardware, connections, power bills, etc... how much can they possibly have left for a coder monthly? $2k? $3k?

Dude you can't even get a level 1 Tech Support at $2k-$3k before tax... that's lower than/close to the mimimum wage. You can't get coder of ANY ability for that price.

If outsource is even MORE expensive. $2-$3k a month almost quite certainly can't get contractors/freelancers that is any good. The reason why people go freelance/contract is to make MORE money, not LESS.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Exactly...

well technically the game code has never been able to support the kind of population required to support the game, when your game can only render about 60 people in any 1 node at once you know you have problems.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

All these technical details aside, the BIGGER question is how can SV possibility afford a decent programmer, whether it is per job or perm basis?

As someone said before 2k subs they earn monthly around $30k not including borrowed money and donations.

$30K split between the already existing staffs, bosses own takings, cost of maintaining hardware, connections, power bills, etc... how much can they possibly have left for a coder monthly? $2k? $3k?

Dude you can't even get a level 1 Tech Support at $2k-$3k before tax... that's lower than/close to the mimimum wage. You can't get coder of ANY ability for that price.

If outsource is even MORE expensive. $2-$3k a month almost quite certainly can't get contractors/freelancers that is any good. The reason why people go freelance/contract is to make MORE money, not LESS.

Henrik recently on MO forums posted they are looking for a new coder. I would assume they will finance him/her from the latest 400K$ investment, by my calculations I posted on MO forums that it would be around 60K$ per year, Henrik did not dispute this info. Subs are not main MO's source of financing long time ago.