Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the sandbox options these days?

dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Really not getting into the themeparks. Been having some fun on FFXIV but it feels very limited. 

Is there really a viable sandbox besides EVE? 

Thanks!

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Home Depot or lowes.   That's where you will find te best sandboxes these days :))

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is sandboxish, but far, far, FAR from a true sandbox.  Mortal Online is a similar game.  Ultima Online and Wurm online are a couple of older choices.  Best sandbox I've found is a multiplayer Minecraft server. 
  • SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is sandboxish, but far, far, FAR from a true sandbox.  Mortal Online is a similar game.  Ultima Online and Wurm online are a couple of older choices.  Best sandbox I've found is a multiplayer Minecraft server. 

darkfall has nothing to do with a sandbox..besides that.. game is still in beta

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    I always here about minecraft these days. Even my friend went on and on about it back in the day, before it was even big. Maybe I should finally give it a go.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Eve would be the #1 sandbox.  DF and Mortal Online are both severely flawed attempts at fantasy versions. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

Wurm Online, as a real sandbox game, with both options of pvp or pve servers.

My name in game is Maurizio, im on the chaos server, feel free to contact me if you happen to check out the game and want to be shown the ropes.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Home Depot or lowes.   That's where you will find te best sandboxes these days :))

Thanks for the laugh.  Mine is a little sandboxy.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• krazeekkrazeek Member Posts: 11

A Tale in the Desert is a sandbox, to the truest extent of the word. It has a very interesting economic system (barter), and the crafting is some of the most in-depth from any MMO I've ever seen or played.

Unfortunately, those are the only good things about it. The resource collection is an experiment in carpal-tunnel syndrome, there is no combat (PvP nor PvE), and there are maybe 400 players subbed to the entire land of Egypt and Sinai. It's a decent game, but not one of my faves by a long shot.

I play Eve Online, and I love the game. The depth of it is intense, and the economic system is so good that college final papers have been written about it. I may leave it temporarily for one reason or another, but I always come back shortly thereafter to feed my addiction.