Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage vs blackdesert

Comments

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by cnutemp
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Professor78

Archeage due to ability to upload own images into the game world.. Seem about par on everything else.

I would actually say that's a negative.

I don't want a starbucks in my game world. Or whatever other horror some players might try to create. I applaud the idea of players having creative control in theory but in practice they are just going to make the game world ugly. Provided that Trion allows this.

@op: who knows? We know very little of Black Desert. I would say for "look" I am going with Black Desert.

Until I find out that there are motor cars or some such thing. This is not to say I think ArcheAge is bad. Just not my taste.

Totally agree with this. Archeage looks fun but I feel being able to build just about whatever you want will totally throw me out of the immersion if only they would have left it at gliders and epic sea battles but now we have motorcars and Starbucks.

So Black Desert gets my vote.

Being able to build w/e you want is better than not being able to build at all.

Housing in black desert is in static/limited places and you will pretty much lose your house after 3 months regardless if you pay your upkeep or not..

There is no upkeep to pay once you put the money down the house is yours until the next auction. I actually like it this way it forces people to actually work hard to maintain what they earned instead of simply earning a bunch of money buying the biggest house and calling it a day.

Also how would you go about housing in an open non-instanced world with limited land? If everyone was able to buy a house permanently what would happen when the houses/land run out and new players are totally left without that option.

Should your house get bought out from under you it's not the end of the world you don't lose anything you bought for it, your furniture or tools if you made it into a shop simply go into storage and you could always find another house heading up to auction.

The housing is one of the big complaints I see about Black Desert but I actually think Pearl Abyss' way of handling it is well thought out and fair.

• LeemadoLeemado Member Posts: 8

Both of them seem interesting.

The archeage class system looks very good. Black dessert has amazing graphics

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

Archeage due to ability to upload own images into the game world.. Seem about par on everything else.

I don't want a starbucks in my game world. Or whatever other horror some players might try to create. I applaud the idea of players having creative control in theory but in practice they are just going to make the game world ugly. Provided that Trion allows this.

@op: who knows? We know very little of Black Desert. I would say for "look" I am going with Black Desert.

Until I find out that there are motor cars or some such thing. This is not to say I think ArcheAge is bad. Just not my taste.

Totally agree with this. Archeage looks fun but I feel being able to build just about whatever you want will totally throw me out of the immersion if only they would have left it at gliders and epic sea battles but now we have motorcars and Starbucks.

Housing in black desert is in static/limited places and you will pretty much lose your house after 3 months regardless if you pay your upkeep or not..

There is no upkeep to pay once you put the money down the house is yours until the next auction. I actually like it this way it forces people to actually work hard to maintain what they earned instead of simply earning a bunch of money buying the biggest house and calling it a day.

Also how would you go about housing in an open non-instanced world with limited land? If everyone was able to buy a house permanently what would happen when the houses/land run out and new players are totally left without that option.

Should your house get bought out from under you it's not the end of the world you don't lose anything you bought for it, your furniture or tools if you made it into a shop simply go into storage and you could always find another house heading up to auction.

The housing is one of the big complaints I see about Black Desert but I actually think Pearl Abyss' way of handling it is well thought out and fair.

Sounds like a terrible system.  I don't want to compete with chinese gold sellers when I'm trying to buy a house.  Also who said anything about keeping a house permanently?  That's the point of upkeep.  Don't pay upkeep? Your house goes away.  Your making an assumption that if an MMO does not have a system where players are competing with gold farmers every 3 months for their house, the only other system is that they would keep their house forever for free.

EVERY other mmo that does housing does it through some form of upkeep.  Not players vs China/RMT

Sounds like a terrible system.  I don't want to compete with chinese gold sellers when I'm trying to buy a house.  Also who said anything about keeping a house permanently?  That's the point of upkeep.  Don't pay upkeep? Your house goes away.  Your making an assumption that if an MMO does not have a system where players are competing with gold farmers every 3 months for their house, the only other system is that they would keep their house forever for free.

EVERY other mmo that does housing does it through some form of upkeep.  Not players vs China/RMT

Gold Sellers wouldn't be buying houses to begin with that would be taking away from their profit also the vast Majority of Gold sellers don't even play them game themselves they set up a bunch of computers all running Bots for the game while sending out Phishing emails to hack accounts and steal other players Gold and items. Gold sellers don't care about the game so they wouldn't care about the housing.

Now Gold buyers on the other hand are a big issue but Pearl Abyss may very well make buying Gold and items with IRL cash against the rules and bannable so that would solve that.

Also you didn't answer my question how would you go about housing in an open non-instanced world with limited land?

You say that "EVERY other mmo that does housing does it through some form of upkeep." well every MMO that is popular and active that I can think of has INSTANCED housing so you are not competing with other players for property so yes simply having an upkeep to keep your house is viable and creates a nice Gold sink. However in Black Desert housing is limited so as I said if you could just buy a house and keep it(even if it had an upkeep) would be extremely unfair because sooner rather than later housing would run out, even if some Noob didn't have enough money for his upkeep and lost the house he paid so much for it would quickly be bought up and it would be the same thing again.

So for a game with non-instanced Limited housing in the actual open game world I still feel Pearl Abyss is handling it pretty damn well.

Also anyone who can't buy an actual house still has housing everyone starts with a tent that can be propped up anywhere out side of a city and they're even more shack than tent imagine the type of makeshift shacks people would make in the old Hoovervilles and that is closer to the picture.

• capatais777capatais777 Member Posts: 6

ops, you fail.

you need pay to maintein you farm, castle and house in archeage.

and then the GM can create more continente, in this game is total pvp world, so another player can destroy you house or stolen.

Originally posted by capatais777

ops, you fail.

and then the GM can create more continente, in this game is total pvp world, so another player can destroy you house or stolen.

From everything I have read about Archeage while other players can visit your house/castle they are in their own instanced area of your design so they are not actually within the main world. The Castle/Fortresses in Black Desert can also be destroyed or taken over.

I am not sure if you are talking about Black Desert or Archeage for making the continent bigger if Black Desert yes that could solve the housing issue if they constantly added more land but that would be pretty hard to explain lore wise, though I am guessing they will expand the game at some point possibly with new continents so that could very well bring in more housing. Though again housing is limited so I feel the Black Desert housing model is fine.

ops, you fail.

From everything I have read about Archeage while other players can visit your house/castle they are in their own instanced area of your design so they are not actually within the main world. The Castle/Fortresses in Black Desert can also be destroyed or taken over.

I am not sure if you are talking about Black Desert or Archeage for making the continent bigger if Black Desert yes that could solve the housing issue if they constantly added more land but that would be pretty hard to explain with the lore though I am guessing they will expand the game at some point possible with new continents so that could very well bring in more housing. Though again housing is limited so I feel the Black Desert housing model is fine.

in black desert only the door of the castle is destroyed, not the full castle, and you can't build a castle, so if they destroy you castle, how have a new castle in the world? on maximun you danify the castle to fix but not complete destroy

.the players in archeage can destroy or stolen you three animals house castle farm. and have to pay to stay.

in archeage they can make another land to constroi another houses, and have island too

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I will try all three of them! As far as winning in the West™? There are no winners. :(

• joaokleberjoaokleber Member Posts: 3
    what is westernization?
  • cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

Now Gold buyers on the other hand are a big issue but Pearl Abyss may very well make buying Gold and items with IRL cash against the rules and bannable so that would solve that.

Easier said than done.  No game out there is 100% bot proof.  Not even world of warcraft.  And if they cant stop botters with all their resources, you can bet that a small indy company like pearl abyss wont.  When the gold farmers invade this game the inflation will effect the rest of the economy and prices will skyrocket.  Want a house? Buy gold.  Want a bigger house? Buy more gold.  

And in Black Desert's case it will be buy gold every 3 months.

Also you didn't answer my question how would you go about housing in an open non-instanced world with limited land?

Upkeep.  The more important the location/bigger the house the higher the price. EVE, xsyon, mortal online, darkfall, wurm (and archage when it comes out) all have non-instanced housing and use upkeep.

Also, in before none of the games I listed count because you don't like them.  There are very easy ways to make non instanced limited housing work.

EDIT - I also like how you correlate winning an auction with 'hard work'.  Black Desert is F2P.  Which means people winning auction will be winning it with $$$$ not grinding.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    From everything I have read about Archeage while other players can visit your house/castle they are in their own instanced area of your design so they are not actually within the main world.

I have no idea from where are you getting these false infos.

In AA you are building houses and castles in the OPEN WORLD, there are no loading screens, and you can walk into anyones house (if the door is not closed), there won't be loading screen while walking in a house, since it's not instanced, same goes for castle.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by lucas12

who win in you opinion? why?

ArcheAge. Because we know what it is, and a release date in the west is coming sometimes soon.

We don't know anything in Detail about Black Desert.. it could become everything, or nothing for all we know. And, even more important.. it is not even in CB in Korea, they don't have any western publisher.. for all we know it will not release in the west in the next 3-5 years.

But.. i like the Trailers from Black Desert. I like the theme from Black Desert. And i would wish, it would be more sandboxish than ArcheAge and would be what i imagine. But as you see.. a lot of "woulds" and "ifs".. we just don't know enough.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Been following ArcheAge for years, but sadly now it looks like it will be a game to pass some time until Black Desert releases.

what you want mean with this?

I mean I loved the game how it looked at start - mix-and-match class system, exploration without any loading screens, naval combat, Kraken, sieges, open world PvP and even farming.

What I seriously dislike is the recent tendency for goofy and completely out of place things like bikinis, race cars, french maid costume, brick instead of head and the ability to put your own pictures which lead to things like Starbucks and will lead (at western release) to so many obscene pictures that GMs will have to dedicate all their time to remove those pictures and won't have time for helping players. 

I still cant wait to play ArcheAge but Black Desert has taken the #1 spot for me. The game just looks amazing and I cant wait to see more.

Originally posted by Apraxis

ArcheAge. Because we know what it is, and a release date in the west is coming sometimes soon.

We don't know anything in Detail about Black Desert.. it could become everything, or nothing for all we know. And, even more important.. it is not even in CB in Korea, they don't have any western publisher.. for all we know it will not release in the west in the next 3-5 years.

But.. i like the Trailers from Black Desert. I like the theme from Black Desert. And i would wish, it would be more sandboxish than ArcheAge and would be what i imagine. But as you see.. a lot of "woulds" and "ifs".. we just don't know enough.

incorrect, black desert has been launched cbt in Korea, and probably become in 2015 to Ocident, the open beta or full game will launch in 2014 average

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Black Desert...it's not tab target.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

incorrect, black desert has been launched cbt in Korea, and probably become in 2015 to Ocident, the open beta or full game will launch in 2014 average

Wel.. either you don't have a clue, or other, not reliable sources.

From my informations CBT is announced(without a exact date) and cbt applications have been accepted since Oct. 1st. And the CBT will start sometimes "soon".

http://2p.com/1868505_1/Black-Desert-First-Closed-Beta-Test-Coming-CBT-Application-Page-Released.htm

http://steparu.com/news/front-page/1404-black-desert-now-recruiting-for-beta

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Desert-Online/406360829449102

And usually CBTs in Korea take some time and have a few more phases. With other words will take usually a year or more... with other words you can maybe count on early 2015 for a release in Korea. And after that it may take another year or more for any release outside of Korea. Just look at ArcheAge.. it is already released and we do have no announced release date for US/EU. And furthermore, we don't have any Publisher for Black Desert.

So please.. get realistic... and don't claim bullshit without any sources.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

I don't think you can compare these games I personally think the launch's of these games will be far apart and one is more action orientated than the other which will effect some peoples decisions. We really don't have much info about what trion are doing with Archeage and a lot less about Blackdesert.

However I am personally looking forward to at least trying both of these games at some point.

• joaokleberjoaokleber Member Posts: 3

From my informations CBT is announced(without a exact date) and cbt applications have been accepted since Oct. 1st. And the CBT will start sometimes "soon".

http://2p.com/1868505_1/Black-Desert-First-Closed-Beta-Test-Coming-CBT-Application-Page-Released.htm

And usually CBTs in Korea take some time and have a few more phases. With other words will take usually a year or more... with other words you can maybe count on early 2015 for a release in Korea. And after that it may take another year or more for any release outside of Korea. Just look at ArcheAge.. it is already released and we do have no announced release date for US/EU. And furthermore, we don't have any Publisher for Black Desert.

meeh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ph-im3EetQ

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by joaokleber

meeh..

She laid a serious knee to that muskrat or whatever that was at the end.

You would have to get real low to the ground to do that.

Originally posted by joaokleber

meeh..

Thats a promo vid.. or exactly class promo vid. No beta, no nothing. I have seen a promo vid from EQN.. it is nevertheless not in beta either.

Originally posted by LlexX
    From everything I have read about Archeage while other players can visit your house/castle they are in their own instanced area of your design so they are not actually within the main world.

In AA you are building houses and castles in the OPEN WORLD, there are no loading screens, and you can walk into anyones house (if the door is not closed), there won't be loading screen while walking in a house, since it's not instanced, same goes for castle.

Well they must have changed a lot from when I stopped steadily following the game. The early information following the trailer with the woman leading the people through the portal into the new world, was that everyone could build their own instanced area outside of the game world with essentially whatever they wanted.

Also if housing is non-instanced and limited and all you have to do is pay an upkeep on it that's just another nail in the coffin for me. Honestly how hard is it going to be to pay upkeep? I admit I was really far behind on my information, like I said I stopped actively following this a while ago due to the fact they began to add stuff I really disliked, so I looked up some of he recent interviews and it has already been outright said that there will only be enough buildable land for 50% of a servers population to have housing and that the rest are essentially out of luck unless they want to do the family system where you can choose to live with someone else.

Black Desert admittedly has less housing, only enough for 30% of a server, but the chance of someone losing their house is far higher than in Archeage and anyone who does not have a house still has a tent. I also really like the fact that in Black Desert you can turn your house into a shop and have an NPC run it for you when you are not online.

I will admit right here neither system is perfect I just feel Black Desert's is more fair if the game had more housing I would say it would be almost perfect.

Easier said than done.  No game out there is 100% bot proof.  Not even world of warcraft.  And if they cant stop botters with all their resources, you can bet that a small indy company like pearl abyss wont.  When the gold farmers invade this game the inflation will effect the rest of the economy and prices will skyrocket.  Want a house? Buy gold.  Want a bigger house? Buy more gold.  

Upkeep.  The more important the location/bigger the house the higher the price. EVE, xsyon, mortal online, darkfall, wurm (and archage when it comes out) all have non-instanced housing and use upkeep.

Also, in before none of the games I listed count because you don't like them.  There are very easy ways to make non instanced limited housing work.

EDIT - I also like how you correlate winning an auction with 'hard work'.  Black Desert is F2P.  Which means people winning auction will be winning it with $$$$ not grinding.

Since when has Eve had housing? I never played the game but only thing I knew about where playerowned starbases and that doesn't really qualify as housing also Eve is absolutely massive so don't really see non-instanced housing being an issue if they had it. Xyson? Never heard of it. Wurm? Same. Isn't Mortal online essentially a failure? Though I have no clue how their housing works so no Idea. I heard the first Darkfall was an amazing game heard Unholy Wars is a bit of a mess. Though I looked up the first Darkfall's housing system there were only 1k houses per server how many players were on a server I could see the same issue as what I am saying for Archeage. Though the website I was reading said houses could be "destroyed" what happened when the houing was destroy could the person who destroyed it claim it? If so I feel that is a fair system though I feel very, very annoying especially in the case of scaring away casuals.

Also yes I do see winning an auction as hard work because unless you're a Gold Buyer you don't magically make money by sitting on your ass doing nothing all day. Also Black Desert is F2P in Asia because that is the most attractive and popular business model over there. Pearl Abyss has openly stated in interviews that the U.S. and EU payment models are undecided and they will go with whatever the American and European market feel would work best if that is P2P they will go with P2P.

"Easier said than done.  No game out there is 100% bot proof.  Not even world of warcraft.  And if they cant stop botters with all their resources, you can bet that a small indy company like pearl abyss wont.  When the gold farmers invade this game the inflation will effect the rest of the economy and prices will skyrocket.  Want a house? Buy gold.  Want a bigger house? Buy more gold. "

Also I never said anything about bots I know you can't 100% stop botting I said make "buying gold a bannable offense" like Square Enix has done with FFXIV.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

1. Well they must have changed a lot from when I stopped steadily following the game. The early information following the trailer with the woman leading the people through the portal into the new world, was that everyone could build their own instanced area outside of the game world with essentially whatever they wanted.

2. Also if housing is non-instanced and limited and all you have to do is pay an upkeep on it that's just another nail in the coffin for me. Honestly how hard is it going to be to pay upkeep? I admit I was really far behind on my information, like I said I stopped actively following this a while ago due to the fact they began to add stuff I really disliked, so I looked up some of he recent interviews and it has already been outright said that there will only be enough buildable land for 50% of a servers population to have housing and that the rest are essentially out of luck unless they want to do the family system where you can choose to live with someone else.

3. Black Desert admittedly has less housing, only enough for 30% of a server, but the chance of someone losing their house is far higher than in Archeage and anyone who does not have a house still has a tent. I also really like the fact that in Black Desert you can turn your house into a shop and have an NPC run it for you when you are not online.

4. I will admit right here neither system is perfect I just feel Black Desert's is more fair if the game had more housing I would say it would be almost perfect.

1. You are mixing AA with Repopulation, the video you are talking is from AA, but the rest about players being able to build their own instance is from Repopulation.

2. The tax (weekly) is varied between housing types, smaller houses are cheap to maintain, medium size costs more and so on. It's true that the housing slots are limited, but there are plenty of them, in the Korean release none really had problems finding a plot for their house, if they spend the time searching for it. Also you can share the house with your family and divide the tax, comes handy if you want to build a mansion for example.

3. BDO has very low number of "rentable" rooms/houses, keep in mind thats it's still in early development tho, and the houses in BDO are static built by the devs on fixed locations (you can change their interior only, as for now).

4. Agree, both systems have their pros and cons, but you can see in action how the housing system works in AA, but you can't see BDO's housing system, it's only on paper (2 weeks left until the CBT, so soon we will know more).

• crysis77crysis77 Member Posts: 1

Well they must have changed a lot from when I stopped steadily following the game. The early information following the trailer with the woman leading the people through the portal into the new world, was that everyone could build their own instanced area outside of the game world with essentially whatever they wanted.

Also if housing is non-instanced and limited and all you have to do is pay an upkeep on it that's just another nail in the coffin for me. Honestly how hard is it going to be to pay upkeep? I admit I was really far behind on my information, like I said I stopped actively following this a while ago due to the fact they began to add stuff I really disliked, so I looked up some of he recent interviews and it has already been outright said that there will only be enough buildable land for 50% of a servers population to have housing and that the rest are essentially out of luck unless they want to do the family system where you can choose to live with someone else.

Black Desert admittedly has less housing, only enough for 30% of a server, but the chance of someone losing their house is far higher than in Archeage and anyone who does not have a house still has a tent. I also really like the fact that in Black Desert you can turn your house into a shop and have an NPC run it for you when you are not online.

I will admit right here neither system is perfect I just feel Black Desert's is more fair if the game had more housing I would say it would be almost perfect.

Since when has Eve had housing? I never played the game but only thing I knew about where playerowned starbases and that doesn't really qualify as housing also Eve is absolutely massive so don't really see non-instanced housing being an issue if they had it. Xyson? Never heard of it. Wurm? Same. Isn't Mortal online essentially a failure? Though I have no clue how their housing works so no Idea. I heard the first Darkfall was an amazing game heard Unholy Wars is a bit of a mess. Though I looked up the first Darkfall's housing system there were only 1k houses per server how many players were on a server I could see the same issue as what I am saying for Archeage. Though the website I was reading said houses could be "destroyed" what happened when the houing was destroy could the person who destroyed it claim it? If so I feel that is a fair system though I feel very, very annoying especially in the case of scaring away casuals.

Also yes I do see winning an auction as hard work because unless you're a Gold Buyer you don't magically make money by sitting on your ass doing nothing all day. Also Black Desert is F2P in Asia because that is the most attractive and popular business model over there. Pearl Abyss has openly stated in interviews that the U.S. and EU payment models are undecided and they will go with whatever the American and European market feel would work best if that is P2P they will go with P2P.

"Easier said than done.  No game out there is 100% bot proof.  Not even world of warcraft.  And if they cant stop botters with all their resources, you can bet that a small indy company like pearl abyss wont.  When the gold farmers invade this game the inflation will effect the rest of the economy and prices will skyrocket.  Want a house? Buy gold.  Want a bigger house? Buy more gold. "

Also I never said anything about bots I know you can't 100% stop botting I said make "buying gold a bannable offense" like Square Enix has done with FFXIV.

you need hard work too on archeage to maintein you farm, house and castle, payment and plantations need attention.

you also can make a shop with you house too...

and also, buying is boring as hell. this is a system since Tibia, Aion and much another mmo's old and new

• danielwarsongdanielwarsong Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    Black Desert...it's not tab target.

ohhh really? seryousli?

Icarus online is target but is 1000 times better than black desert

Originally posted by crysis77

you need hard work too on archeage to maintein you farm, house and castle, payment and plantations need attention.

you also can make a shop with you house too...

and also, buying is boring as hell. this is a system since Tibia, Aion and much another mmo's old and new

Oh yes I agree I am just saying with Archeage having to pay a smaller fee every so often is much easier to handle as a player than a massive lump payment every 3 months. So it will most likely be a lot easier to maintain possession of your home in Archeage than it would be in Black Desert causing newer players to have a very hard to obtain a home of their own once the game matures. The same will happen in Black Desert as well most Veteran players will have large amounts of money a year or two into the game but a beginner still has hope of one day saving up enough to outbid someone in one of the auctions and getting a home of their own.

Also I have no idea does Archeage have anything similar to Black Deserts "tents"? I think I remember hearing something about renting inn rooms in Archeage or am I mistaken?