Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you treat a newb?

A newb asks a question about the game's interface (an easy--but not instantly apparent--one).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I slowly garner their trust through small acts of generosity & kindness.

Then I ask them to do me a huge favor & loan me all their in game currency.

Then I transfer my character to a different server & change my name.

They usually get the message after that.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Newbs are a serious affliction, they should be treated with salt and holy cleansing fire. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    If I know the answer, I try to answer it. I'm playing new MMOs on a regular basis, so one thing I'm very familiar with is that what's intuitive to a veteran player isn't so intuitive to one that just started. I find players are often helpful in that regard, even in some of the most brutal MMO environments.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Explanation: I recently watched this happen. Simple question to answer, no more than five words.

The newb in question first received at least ten general-chat answers, ranging from completely unhelpful to completely abusive, before someone gave him a straight answer.

And we've alllllll seen examples over the years, right?

And it struck me; what happens to "veterans", is that (a varying percentage of them) become contemptible arseholes.

Can you judge the quality of your "community" by how many did?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I look at it as an exciting opportunity to be useful, then say nothing out of fear of being trolled.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

i try to be helpfull. but i have seen so many times that people ask question about things wich don't matter to them for another month.

Not usefull question gets an unusefull awnser. Im oke with awnsering how to set skillbars or where  mob x located. But when level 1 characters start asking questiong about lets say raid attunement... that just snaps something in me. Play the goddamn game by the time your ready for atunement youve already come across the awnser. No need to ask anyone.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I try my hardest to treat everyone with the same respect,i am quite tolerable.

If a player simply does not understand or not know,no problem at all,i would try to help or find out the answers needed.If someone is purposely trying to piss others off or not listening to reason,then it gets a little harder but i still rarely get mad.

Noobs are imo the best players,i like to play with them more than vets.They usually are more tolerable and open to any ideas.Vets are usually one dimensional,they MUST do everything one way with no leeway on thought.Vets also get angry easier if they die,they are also a lot more worried about EGO,worried some other elitist might see them die and look bad.

Noobs are simply a lot more fun to hang out with.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Noobs are imo the best players,i like to play with them more than vets.

Careful; a lot of people make a distinction between newbs and noobs.

But based upon a single chat line, I don't think anyone can make that call. Presumptive :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It depends. Overall I'm much more forgiving, never nasty. If the newb has a big mouth and wont listen, just a terrible attitude I give tough love.

In Wushu (FFA) for example the fast way to level skills is through team practice. It takes 10 people, and about 20 minutes IF no one messes up. If a newb misses I will say "respect others time." If the newbs response is still disrespectful, I will kill him and tell him why I did. Uf it's a disrespectful vet (you dont see many of those), I will most likely ski;p the talking and just kill them, for the same reason, lack if respect for others time.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Explanation: I recently watched this happen. Simple question to answer, no more than five words.

The newb in question first received at least ten general-chat answers, ranging from completely unhelpful to completely abusive, before someone gave him a straight answer.

And it struck me; what happens to "veterans", is that (a varying percentage of them) become contemptible arseholes.

That could be either that one game's playerbase, the particular server's playerbase or even a time of day thing. Can't really judge a community on one question.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

That could be either that one game's playerbase, the particular server's playerbase or even a time of day thing. Can't really judge a community on one question.

Sure; and "just having a rotten day" is an explanation too.

But there are definitely communities that are toxic to newbs. How do we turn them around?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You can't judge any community based on general chat. It always sinks to the lowest common denominator. The quality of the community is found by your experiences interacting with them, and not just one sample.

TERA is a good example of this. Worst general chat in any game I've ever played. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with anyone I've grouped with to run a dungeon. The people who are there to play the game are not the bored vets you see in chat, and don't make up the bulk of who you're really playing with.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I will ignore him.

I don't think i play games to teach others how to use a GUI.

But there are definitely communities that are toxic to newbs. How do we turn them around?

Depends who "we" is. The players? It's not their job. It would be nice to see them do it - it could even be considered right for them to try to turn around the bad apples - but I do not expect them to. The devs? That's part of the job of the community team, although some are just glorified forum moderators and social media spammers.

Quite simple really, encourage players to be benevolent by reprimanding foul behaviour. Ban veterans and let others know they've been banned and why....Let the iron fist fall, to protect the weak. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Electro057

Quite simple really, encourage players to be benevolent by reprimanding foul behaviour. Ban veterans and let others know they've been banned and why....Let the iron fist fall, to protect the weak. 

Yep. You have to make an example of these types of gamers

Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Electro057

Yep. You have to make an example of these types of gamers

Exactly, I'd go so far as to [post a public deflaming/demeaning list...maybe give them titles even, defile their characters in game...Put their heads and names up on spikes. Interactable objects that includes the chat log they got smote from....

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Poll biased toward a particular point of view.

None of the above.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Newbies are awesome! They are generaly full of energy and enthusiasm, and they're are beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) for the long term viability of a game. Treat them with love and respect and your game will benefit because of it :D

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

No. I think a better measure would be how many that didn't. 

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Originally posted by Krematory
    Newbies are awesome! They are generaly full of energy and enthusiasm, and they're are beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) for the long term viability of a game. Treat them with love and respect and your game will benefit because of it :D

Yep, from a long term growth POV, it's definitely the only way to go.

But..it's the internet. Too much to ask for?

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

If asked politely, I will do what I can to help.

If asked like I was his dog and he commands me to sit, he goes straight on my ignore list.

Works for anyone, noob or not.

Otherwise:

My computer is better than yours.

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

IDK for me it is one of those things I just cant seem to help myself with.

I love to help people!

I have spent time in rookie chat and 1-10 chats and tutorial chat just anwsnering questtions for hours... I hve even had green names weather it be dedicated helper GMs or what have you gett a little competitive about it with me. Like they feel Im doing their job or something.

I cant help it. It is like I am learning stuff as I go and just reiterating the info feels good. Its alot of fun.

That said what I can not do for the life of me is "mentor" I just cant seem to move my char through a game world at anything les then full speed. If I got a newbi tagging along with me I end up just leaving them behind when they stop to check out the kool rock formation or the fuzzy bunny behind the tree.

But help chat... Thats my thing!

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    Depends on the Newb.  If they are open to feedback then I'm happy to help and willing to give time or more.  If they continue to do stupid newb things after they're told that they shouldn't in a very polite way....I let them die.  If they still don't learn there lesson I leave the dungeon or whatever we're doing. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Judging from many replies I see, alot of people seem to be confusing:

"Noob" from "Newb".

They are two totally different things.

Newb = An actual new player that is learning.

Noob =

1. Those who think they know it all but don't.

2. Represented in a few responses above.

3. Players who fail at what they should know what they are doing depending the situation  and Nerd Rage when others try to actually help them.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."