Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is HOT

petrolsmellpetrolsmell Member Posts: 16

I'm having a blast after the new research update. Game is ripe for industry and market tycoons and generally things seem to pick up. There is a lot more activity in general chat too.

If you are looking for a nice MMO for grown-ups, you should try it out.

Comments

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    This game certainly is a gem. People don't know what they are missing out on.
  • TekdTekd Member UncommonPosts: 65

I have played EVE, Ryzom, Entropia Universe and The Secret World quite a bit. I am thinking of giving this game a shot. I enjoyed EVE quite a lot, but got bored due to over-development-nerfing of my favorite ships.

I have noticed that in most of today's new games there are lots of time based achievements and items that are character bound and if you didn't start playing a game at a certain time, these things are no longer available to you. Does Perpetuum have very many non-tradeable or non-obtainable items/titles etc...?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Despite repeated Flagellations, this particular Equine is in fact, Deceased image
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    never heard of it, how is gameplay?
    Originally posted by Phry
    Despite repeated Flagellations, this particular Equine is in fact, Deceased image

It's shutdown? Their webpage still works but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by NevadaJake

Still up as far as i can tell and apparently launching on steam soon.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It isn't shut down, they're launching through steam soon ?

But from what I read about it they made an eve clone ( for ease of explaining the game model ) with boring pve and weak pvp. The devs put all their focus into pvp and the players didn't love it. The pve mostly quit and the obvious happened....when your sheep leave and the wolves don't like eating each other, they starve or look some place else to hunt.

Eves greatest success ( imo ) was getting the wolves to hunt each other. Something other games seem to really struggle with.

Thank you for all of the replies. I am primarily pve but I will give it a try.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

But from what I read about it they made an eve clone ( for ease of explaining the game model ) with boring pve and weak pvp. The devs put all their focus into pvp and the players didn't love it. The pve mostly quit and the obvious happened....when your sheep leave and the wolves don't like eating each other, they starve or look some place else to hunt.

Eves greatest success ( imo ) was getting the wolves to hunt each other. Something other games seem to really struggle with.

I don't think it was much that the PVPers there were preying on the 'sheep', as much as once the PvE players leave the PVPers have to spend their play time doing the PVE stuff (crafting, mining, transporting) in order to have what they need for PVP. For example, the PVPers could have all the fun in the world blowing up fellow PvPers, but once the PvE players are gone, there is no one left to fuel their war machine for them. 

While I personally found Perpetuum to be a mediocre game at best (just my opinion, don't go ballistic on me), the devs have a far greater understanding of what makes for an engaging PVP-focused virtual world than some other devs do. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    At least this game have some rly nice sandbox tools. You can change the landscape etc on some islands. Rly use the terrain to build cool stuff. And build walls to hold off offenders. Place becons to let you know if hostiles are coming etc. I also think the game has better PVP then EVE cause you can actually use the terrain to your advantage to dodge missiles etc. I don't like that the bots feels so small. You never get the feeling you control a big ass robot. And the graphics could be better as well. Even though they did upgrade them alittle a year or so ago. Still think the game can grow, and reach a new crowd. The next patch before steam is to make the newbie experience better, and get you to learn the game faster etc. So this one could bloom when it hits steam.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I don't think it was much that the PVPers there were preying on the 'sheep', as much as once the PvE players leave the PVPers have to spend their play time doing the PVE stuff (crafting, mining, transporting) in order to have what they need for PVP. For example, the PVPers could have all the fun in the world blowing up fellow PvPers, but once the PvE players are gone, there is no one left to fuel their war machine for them. 

While I personally found Perpetuum to be a mediocre game at best (just my opinion, don't go ballistic on me), the devs have a far greater understanding of what makes for an engaging PVP-focused virtual world than some other devs do. 

i think it was a year or two ago, when perpetuum first came up, there was a certain amount of hype surrounding it, (isn't there always!) and it didnt seem like a particularly bad game, just, everything about the game seemed to scream Eve clone, i think even the interface at the time was very similar. Fun for 5 minutes i think, i'm not sure what would have improved things, although i think a more 'mechwarrior online' kind of thing, would have been a lot more popular, or perhaps not, but at the time, there just wasn't enough there to hold me. But that was quite a while ago, and suddenly seeing the game being 'touted' was a bit of a surprise to say the least, but if the game is about to be launched on Steam then it does kind of make sense. Not sure it will make all that much difference though image

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

i think it was a year or two ago, when perpetuum first came up, there was a certain amount of hype surrounding it, (isn't there always!) and it didnt seem like a particularly bad game, just, everything about the game seemed to scream Eve clone, i think even the interface at the time was very similar. Fun for 5 minutes i think, i'm not sure what would have improved things, although i think a more 'mechwarrior online' kind of thing, would have been a lot more popular, or perhaps not, but at the time, there just wasn't enough there to hold me. But that was quite a while ago, and suddenly seeing the game being 'touted' was a bit of a surprise to say the least, but if the game is about to be launched on Steam then it does kind of make sense. Not sure it will make all that much difference though image

Wasn't when Perpetuum first emerged it was around the time of the backlash of EVE players in regards to the ingame store and skills being purchasable?  Thought Perpetuum was long dead.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by furbans

Wasn't when Perpetuum first emerged it was around the time of the backlash of EVE players in regards to the ingame store and skills being purchasable?  Thought Perpetuum was long dead.

Perpetuum came out in 2010. There was no in-game store in EVE then. I also don't remember any talk, then or now, about skills being sold for real money in EVE. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

That makes sense, I was just taking a wild guess based off a few posts. They did mention no pve players and no one building anything. It's too bad because the game looks really cool. I'd like to go around in an open world blowing shit up in a huge mech...but from everything ppl say it's not what I'd be expecting to play.

That makes sense, I was just taking a wild guess based off a few posts. They did mention no pve players and no one building anything. It's too bad because the game looks really cool. I'd like to go around in an open world blowing shit up in a huge mech...but from everything ppl say it's not what I'd be expecting to play.

You can go around and blow shit up that people has built. From walls to stations. On the islands where you can terrafrom, you build what you want, however you want. It's pretty damn cool. Now I haven't played for a year or so. I stopped cause it had to few peeps playing it. But if it's booming again I might check it out once more. If you haven't tested it, I think you should. 

Hehe, all this talking about it made me resub. First thing I noticed is that they remade research completely, and it's ALOT better now. So they sure are taking small good steps into making this game rly good. If they could only up the graphics some and make the bots feel like big ass bots and not like small ants. :P
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I gotta say I never knew this game existed, then I saw this thread about it so I checked it out. The game is pretty good, it's like mech eve, set up sorta the same way. Seems like a lot of skills and mechs to choose from for what you want to do as your class. I would recommend giving it a look, it has a 15 day trial. I just subbed : ) 10 beans a month.
    Originally posted by Makidian
    I gotta say I never knew this game existed, then I saw this thread about it so I checked it out. The game is pretty good, it's like mech eve, set up sorta the same way. Seems like a lot of skills and mechs to choose from for what you want to do as your class. I would recommend giving it a look, it has a 15 day trial. I just subbed : ) 10 beans a month.

Yeah, the actuall sub for the game is pretty cheap compared to other MMOs. Nice to see more peeps trying it. What the game needs the most is more population. So hope it will get it through steam at least.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

The game taking place on such an alien world always (to me) gave it a complete lack of scale. Even the bipedal mechs felt like kid's toys more than giant machines of death (and this was before Pacific Rim came along and 'ruined' the scale of modern mech games).

It reminded me of driving my Turbo Hopper around the dirt pile in my back yard. Fun for a bit, but eventually the batteries die & interest is lost.

Or in other words, MECHS MUST BE STOMPIER!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

The scale doesn't bother me, but I understand what you mean.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

The game taking place on such an alien world always (to me) gave it a complete lack of scale. Even the bipedal mechs felt like kid's toys more than giant machines of death (and this was before Pacific Rim came along and 'ruined' the scale of modern mech games).

It reminded me of driving my Turbo Hopper around the dirt pile in my back yard. Fun for a bit, but eventually the batteries die & interest is lost.

Or in other words, MECHS MUST BE STOMPIER!

I don't think they're mechs as such more robots.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I thought the game was cool, but I was hoping for more BattleMech or MechWarrior combat. I think they have a good foundation for a game, and if they can keep working on it, it'll turn into something really cool and hopefully distinct from Eve.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Yea it is a pretty great game, I hope steam boost up the population.