Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Secret World/Funcom Customer Service Issues

VelricVelric Member UncommonPosts: 140
I am dealing with Funcom over their game, The Secret World. The game is much like Guild Wars 2 in that all you have to do is buy the game to play it forever, but when it was first released it had a monthly subscription like most other MMO's. During this time, Funcom could not get some of their credit card processors to work and they were unable to process my debit card from my bank. I dealt with their customer service and after a week of failed attempts I wrote the game off.

A year later, the game is free to play, I am in between MMO's, and The Secret World is the only game on the market that even attempts to be different. Unfortunately, my account is banned due to the previous payment failure and the payment attempt is still sitting active on my account.

I thought this would be simple to get removed as I have full access to my account on Funcom's website, just not the game itself. I figured they would look at the account, see the hold up on the payment, erase the payment and then I would be able to play. Instead, they want a photo copy of my ID and credit card to verify who I am and they want to reattempt a year old payment.

I declined to both instances as I felt that it was an unnecessary amount of information they needed, especially to be supplied in photo form, and that I am not interested in being billed for a monthly payment from over a year ago. I was told they will not reactivate my account under any circumstances without this information, even when I offered to provide any information on my account to them via email, offered to answer my security questions, and asked them to verify that the account has not been played since the banning.

I also pointed out that they should have an old customer service ticket from the credit card processing error and that I could even tell them who my character in game is, where they are located, what build I am using, etc... etc...

Apparently my only recourse is to contact the BBB and to let everyone else know what terrible service Funcom is offering. I like for my accounts to be protected but I am not going to offer more information than I would need for something more important like my credit card, loans, or bank services. They are concerned with protecting accounts but they are asking for exact thing people would need to compromise everything.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I had some issues with them over Conan and was given a permanent Ban for asking when bar room brawling was gonna be added.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

you can purchase the secret world for like $25 now. Why don't you just buy it again, screw your old account and start new? Better than all that time you seem to have wasted on support. Hell everyone knows funcom's support sucks so the bbb thing was a waste of your time as well.

Peace

Lascer

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by david361107

you can purchase the secret world for like $25 now. Why don't you just buy it again, screw your old account and start new? Better than all that time you seem to have wasted on support. Hell everyone knows funcom's support sucks so the bbb thing was a waste of your time as well.

Peace

Lascer

I didn't know they sucked and I appreciate the public service announcement from the OP.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    So funny seeing people running to the BBB for help.
    Good luck getting your account issue resolved. But it might easier to just buy a new copy.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• VelricVelric Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Why would I give more money to a company that can't resolve a simple issue? I'm much more likely to just waste my time with Guild Wars 2 or Rift.
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    I have a similar issue. I was going to buy it and try it at release but didn't go all the way through the purchase process. It's still on their site saying I need to pay for it when I simply didn't want to buy it. I didn't get the game or anything so I'm not sure why it's still pending. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by Velric
    Why would I give more money to a company that can't resolve a simple issue? I'm much more likely to just waste my time with Guild Wars 2 or Rift.

Excellent reply

MAGA
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    I am dealing with Funcom over their game, The Secret World. The game is much like Guild Wars 2 in that all you have to do is buy the game to play it forever, but when it was first released it had a monthly subscription like most other MMO's. During this time, Funcom could not get some of their credit card processors to work and they were unable to process my debit card from my bank. I dealt with their customer service and after a week of failed attempts I wrote the game off.

A year later, the game is free to play, I am in between MMO's, and The Secret World is the only game on the market that even attempts to be different. Unfortunately, my account is banned due to the previous payment failure and the payment attempt is still sitting active on my account.

I thought this would be simple to get removed as I have full access to my account on Funcom's website, just not the game itself. I figured they would look at the account, see the hold up on the payment, erase the payment and then I would be able to play. Instead, they want a photo copy of my ID and credit card to verify who I am and they want to reattempt a year old payment.

I declined to both instances as I felt that it was an unnecessary amount of information they needed, especially to be supplied in photo form, and that I am not interested in being billed for a monthly payment from over a year ago. I was told they will not reactivate my account under any circumstances without this information, even when I offered to provide any information on my account to them via email, offered to answer my security questions, and asked them to verify that the account has not been played since the banning.

I also pointed out that they should have an old customer service ticket from the credit card processing error and that I could even tell them who my character in game is, where they are located, what build I am using, etc... etc...

Apparently my only recourse is to contact the BBB and to let everyone else know what terrible service Funcom is offering. I like for my accounts to be protected but I am not going to offer more information than I would need for something more important like my credit card, loans, or bank services. They are concerned with protecting accounts but they are asking for exact thing people would need to compromise everything.

So, you'll contact the BBB with the issue. They'll contact Funcom, inform them of the complaint, and ask for their side of the situation.

Funcom will tell them that they were ready and willing to assist you, but that you refused to provide two pieces of info they required/requested to verify your identity and unlock your account. BBB will say "Oh, okay, so it was the customer being uncooperative, not your customer service. Okay, you're clear", and the case will be closed.

"They wouldn't help me on my terms when I refused to provide info they needed to verify my identity. They're terrible". That's essentially what you're saying in your post, and it just doesn't hold up under even basic scrutiny.

They didn't brush you off. You refused to provide info they needed to handle the situation. That's what it boils down to. The only person preventing your account from being unlocked is you. Good luck with the BBB, though.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I had some issues with them over Conan and was given a permanent Ban for asking when bar room brawling was gonna be added.

I'm calling nonsense on this, too.

People have said and done far worse than that on the official forums, and those posts are still there, as are the posters.

So, you being banned for simply asking when a feature was to be added? Not buying it.

I'm sure the events surrounding it, or the manner in which the question was asked, had a lot more to do with it.

If your claim is true in the first place, and not a fabrication.

• VelricVelric Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Ayulin

So, you'll contact the BBB with the issue. They'll contact Funcom, inform them of the complaint, and ask for their side of the situation.

Funcom will tell them that they were ready and willing to assist you, but that you refused to provide two pieces of info they required/requested to verify your identity and unlock your account. BBB will say "Oh, okay, so it was the customer being uncooperative, not your customer service. Okay, you're clear", and the case will be closed.

"They wouldn't help me on my terms when I refused to provide info they needed to verify my identity. They're terrible". That's essentially what you're saying in your post, and it just doesn't hold up under even basic scrutiny.

They didn't brush you off. You refused to provide info they needed to handle the situation. That's what it boils down to. The only person preventing your account from being unlocked is you. Good luck with the BBB, though.

Indeed, when I am asked for what is the basic equivalent to, "hello, I want to steal your identity" as proof to who I am for an issue unrelated to account security, I will absolutely not comply. Clearing a one year old payment from an account so that a player can log into the game isn't an activity that requires such information, it is something that should have been done one year ago when the processing issue came up in the first place.

People have said and done far worse than that on the official forums, and those posts are still there, as are the posters.

So, you being banned for simply asking when a feature was to be added? Not buying it.

I'm sure the events surrounding it, or the manner in which the question was asked, had a lot more to do with it.

It is True, Helped beta test it bought the collectors edition bought 6 month subscription. Some where after the 1st 30 days maybe around the 40 day. Had never ever posted anything on there game forums so this is what I posted. Have been involved now with testing and live game time when will Bar Room Brawling be added.

Within an hour I received an email stating I had been given a permanent Ban to Age of Conan. I did not reply I uninstalled the game Then Through my collectors edition box in the Trash. Ever sense ive been a very vocal and not in a good way on how Funcom works.

MAGA

It is True, Helped beta test it bought the collectors edition bought 6 month subscription. Some where after the 1st 30 days maybe around the 40 day. Had never ever posted anything on there game forums so this is what I posted. Have been involved now with testing and live game time when will Bar Room Brawling be added.

Within an hour I received an email stating I had been given a permanent Ban to Age of Conan. I did not reply I uninstalled the game Then Through my collectors edition box in the Trash. Ever sense ive been a very vocal and not in a good way on how Funcom works.

And it's still only your word and your characterization of the events.

This isn't a personal dig at you. I would expect no more credulity from others on here if I'd posted something similar, with absolutely nothing more than "because I said that's what happened" for them to go on.

And, given how people can tend to develop agendas against developers and will say whatever they can, when ever they can, to cast them in a poor light... well... that kinda raises the burden of proof.

Indeed, when I am asked for what is the basic equivalent to, "hello, I want to steal your identity" as proof to who I am for an issue unrelated to account security, I will absolutely not comply. Clearing a one year old payment from an account so that a player can log into the game isn't an activity that requires such information, it is something that should have been done one year ago when the processing issue came up in the first place.

Your paranoia/fear of an established (20-years old), long-standing company stealing your identity does not constitute "poor customer service" on their part. It constitutes a refusal on your part to provide the information they've requested to assist you in the case - regardless of your reasoning.

What could've/would've/should've happened a year ago is irrelevant. You didn't pursue it then, and now a year later, out of the blue, you're asking for it to be handled.

Your refusal to follow that procedure now, whatever your reason, is not their problem. They're willing to work with you. You're unwilling to work with them. They haven't shut down the process. You have.

It's not uncommon for companies to require that information to recover an account. I've had to provide such info to other companies and, surprise surprise, nothing bad came of it. I provided the info they needed and, voila, my issue was resolved. You have every right to refuse them that info if you wish. However, they have every right to not assist you under those circumstances.

At the end of the day, what BBB is going to see is a customer requested assistance from Funcom. Funcom was willing to assist, under the condition the customer could provide required info to prove their identity. The customer refused to provide that information and then filed a complaint with the BBB about "poor customer service". FC did their part. The customer refused to cooperate. Due to their established policieds, FC could do no more for the customer at that point.

Again. Good luck with that.

Not having things go the way you want them to on your terms, or not liking the response you get, does not constitute "poor customer service".

• PandahPandah Member CommonPosts: 5

You may have already moved passed this, but if not, I would encourage you to contact them through live chat. State the issue and your concerns. When the game first came out there were some payment issues with a few people. Most of the customer service people are wonderful, but there are some that are not (you know that guy whose worth is limited to story telling entertainment in the break room, there is one of those guys everywhere). I feel confident that if you keep your cool over an issue that long should have been fixed while stating your frustration that they will fix it for you. If the first person cannot help, ask for a supervisor. Honestly, overall I have not seen a better customer service group in an MMO. While they cannot give you back the time you lost, the game is worth the effort to try and get it fixed so that you can finally enjoy it.