Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 new content: wrong priorities?

13»

Comments

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

This site is the last place I would talk to a bunch of haters about GW2.

Want to get a real answer? Talk to the people who play the game, not a bunch of bitter "Veterans" and hardcore...

Hey look at that, there are gw2 forums!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Zapzap

GW2 is made for the ultra casual not for veteran players that play endgame.

The game and the content has always been designed for gamehoppers and to maximize short term revenue before these players become bored.   Not to keep people playing.

It is a fine game for what it is. But not something that will attract and keep people who want more complex, thoughtful, lasting or difficult gameplay. A simplistic but fun and well made game made and designed for the masses and the MMO media.

^^Pretty much this^^

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

GW2 is made for the ultra casual not for veteran players that play endgame.

The game and the content has always been designed for gamehoppers and to maximize short term revenue before these players become bored.   Not to keep people playing.

It is a fine game for what it is. But not something that will attract and keep people who want more complex, thoughtful, lasting or difficult gameplay. A simplistic but fun and well made game made and designed for the masses and the MMO media.

^^Pretty much this^^

Pretty much NOT that.  Tequatl and Twilight Assault would severely disagree with that statement.  So would the mobs of the Queen's Gauntlet.   Even the world bosses such as Golem Mark II and Fire Elemental have become very unforgiving (heck, I've not seen this many people die to FE since the Beta....oh, good times).

The game overall is designed to keep players from becoming bored by constantly adding in new content to chase every two weeks.  With that, they've added progression tied to said content via Achievements -with tied in rewards- which are chased by dedicated Completionists.

In the game's WvW system, the Ranks system added several months back has created a longer lasting appeal.  It's progression without being a stat chase or something that'll completely throw off the game's balance.  Seasons coming up will help with that as well.

Another thing to consider is how Ascended Weapons combined with increased crafting has helped push progression (as originally set back in Nov 2012).   In the next few months, we'll be getting Ascended Armor as well; how it's distributed -crafting, drops, token purchases, etc.- has yet to reveal itself, but they are coming.

P.S. If the "Living Story" wasn't fun or addictive, A.Net would be losing player log ins instead of gaining them (as per PAX footnote during Q&A).  Seems like the game is gaining in healthy population, unlike the above quoted person's speculation that it's design wards people away.....

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

GW2 just keeps moving further and further away from what I loved about GW1.  If my opinion mattered (and yes I know, it doesnt), I would direct GW2 in this direction:

25%  Live content that will vanish after a specific time has elapsed

25%  New permanent content added to the game

50%  New avenues of character development

GW1 was much more focused on developing your character.  I used to love creating a PvP only character just to mess with all the ability combos that I could imagine.  I would spend hours going through different class combinations and ability combo's.  Sadly this was the most entertaining aspect of GW1 for me and is completely nonexistent in GW2.  Man i really miss my aoe bombing dervish.  Time to reinstall GW1...

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I've bashed this game a lot but still am a fan of the gameplay in small scale PvP settings.

GW2 just completely went full retard when designing sPvP. At a loss on what exactly they are actually trying to accomplish with it. Feels like a throw-in which doesn't seem right considering the mainaroundam PvP success of the original.

No duels. Still baffled how that one standard feature has never been implemented.

All the maalreadye capture points. Variety please. Capture the flag, death match, etc.

People strive on competition. Its not a PvP thing, its a human thing. Add real team arena tournaments with ladders.

Actually they did attempt to add solo arena matches. Silly me thought this meant 1v1 death match. Woot?! Nope. More capture the flippin' flag bs. I swear ANet is trolling PvPers.

In fact scrap the entire sPvP setup altogether. Why the heck am I crafting random PvP skins as rewards? Design PvP gear around individual rank/honor. Force players to choose a faction and fight for that side to gain reputation.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Jackdog

It is a fine game for what it is. But not something that will attract and keep people who want more complex. lasting or difficult gameplay.

by that I guess you are saying it is not for players who want to do the same raids repeatedly hoping to win the roll for a piece of uber gear that will be outdated when the next raid is released. An lets face he average MMO raid consists of  tank does this, healer stands there and DD stand over in this spot is not terribly complex gameplay.

Right on the money  +1

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    by that I guess you are saying it is not for players who want to do the same raids repeatedly hoping to win the roll for a piece of uber gear that will be outdated when the next raid is released. An lets face he average MMO raid consists of  tank does this, healer stands there and DD stand over in this spot is not terribly complex gameplay.

As opposed to the GW2 boss fights, that involve overtuned boss mobs that one-hit everything because ArenaNet hasn't figured out how to add actual strategy to non-trinity fights.  The end result is a chaotic dodge-and-spam fight that has far less complexity than a WoW-style raid fight., just a lot more chaos.

And hey, GW2 has a lot of people playing it so obviously there is a big market for gamers that are tired of the standard gear grind, trinity-based raiding system.  So more power to them, and it's great for those players who enjoy that.  

But can we at least not try to paint the GW2 endgame like it is some kind of step up from what has come before it?  Or that it requires any more skill or strategy than other MMOs?  Because that simply isn't true.

Agree 100%

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

As opposed to the GW2 boss fights, that involve overtuned boss mobs that one-hit everything because ArenaNet hasn't figured out how to add actual strategy to non-trinity fights.  The end result is a chaotic dodge-and-spam fight that has far less complexity than a WoW-style raid fight., just a lot more chaos.

And hey, GW2 has a lot of people playing it so obviously there is a big market for gamers that are tired of the standard gear grind, trinity-based raiding system.  So more power to them, and it's great for those players who enjoy that.  

But can we at least not try to paint the GW2 endgame like it is some kind of step up from what has come before it?  Or that it requires any more skill or strategy than other MMOs?  Because that simply isn't true.

Agree 100%

Yep, he was spot on!

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

As a player who went through all the betas and played full time for about 6 months after launch who occaisionally logs in:

my biggest gripe has been the refocus on gear grinding, the emptiness of most of the world, and the limited time content.  When the game was first out I would bump into peeps at every event that spawned and meet some cool folks.  Now, outside of current content, content that is farmed, and LA the game world feels dead on a full server (outside of WvW).  The game gave very little reason for players to go out in the world once they hit 80.  I am bored to tears of running the same dungeons and fractals till the end of time.

Make no mistake, I think the game is great.  There is just little incentive for me to log on and just grind for more gear or run around alone.  I also cannot stand that everytime I get a toon set up the way I want, then bam, change in powers, start over trying to get new gear for eight toons (although eventually I will have a full set of everything at this pace).

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by vmoped

As a player who went through all the betas and played full time for about 6 months after launch who occaisionally logs in:

my biggest gripe has been the refocus on gear grinding, the emptiness of most of the world, and the limited time content.  When the game was first out I would bump into peeps at every event that spawned and meet some cool folks.  Now, outside of current content, content that is farmed, and LA the game world feels dead on a full server (outside of WvW).  The game gave very little reason for players to go out in the world once they hit 80.  I am bored to tears of running the same dungeons and fractals till the end of time.

Make no mistake, I think the game is great.  There is just little incentive for me to log on and just grind for more gear or run around alone.  I also cannot stand that everytime I get a toon set up the way I want, then bam, change in powers, start over trying to get new gear for eight toons (although eventually I will have a full set of everything at this pace).

Cheers!

Every map is being farmed for champs, I think you might want to visit the game.