Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Leveled Open World = Success

nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Despite my earlier posts, I'm optimistic about ESO due to one reason:  Open world areas WITHOUT leveled content.  Its the huge reason Skyrim was such a hit and players have nostalgia about SWG.  Sure, some areas will have weak mobs and some will have overly strong mobs.  The point is that you have a reason to stay where you are if you want.

Personally, I'm tired of all these MMOs and RPGs with level world content.  Its a huge waste of resources and time.  For instance, take a new MMO like SWTOR or an established MMO like LOTRO.  Introduce leveled world content and suddenly you have ghost areas.  Once players get past certain areas, they never go back.  All players then congregate in small areas while the rest of the MMO "real estate" stays abandoned.  Its such a waste and I hope ESO stays true to its roots and doesn't fall into that trap.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Sounds promising, however when I played Skyrim I generally completed the main content in an area and moved on to the next unexplored area, rarely to return.

Sure, I saw those more difficult giants in the first area I explored, but there really wasn't any reason to go back and mess with them later, I was in other areas of the world following some story or quest line.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by nachofoot

Despite my earlier posts, I'm optimistic about ESO due to one reason:  Open world areas WITHOUT leveled content.  Its the huge reason Skyrim was such a hit and players have nostalgia about SWG.  Sure, some areas will have weak mobs and some will have overly strong mobs.  The point is that you have a reason to stay where you are if you want.

Personally, I'm tired of all these MMOs and RPGs with level world content.  Its a huge waste of resources and time.  For instance, take a new MMO like SWTOR or an established MMO like LOTRO.  Introduce leveled world content and suddenly you have ghost areas.  Once players get past certain areas, they never go back.  All players then congregate in small areas while the rest of the MMO "real estate" stays abandoned.  Its such a waste and I hope ESO stays true to its roots and doesn't fall into that trap.

..then I think you are going to be disappointed because my understanding is that this is not like Skyrim in that respect. There will be areas suitable to your level and its not exactly the same go anywhere on the map and expect to survive design where like in Oblivion, NPCs level with you. They are trying to blend the MMO model with the Skyrim model so that you do get the same feeling of freedom to explore the large zones you are in and that are appropriate for your general level, but there are leveled zones. Now to what extent I dont know and we also don't know to what extent you would need to go back to an area you visited if at all..at least I don't remember reading about that.

What is similar to Skyrim is how you can level whatever skills you want, though they provide a class template at the start (unlike Skyrim) with Skills that can only be used for that Class, but there are so many ways to capture other skills via the Guild Quests, Armor, Weapons, Race, etc etc etc that you can still be for example a Mage using Heavy Armor.

What positive though is that at level 50, you can go to the 2 other faction areas you did not level within at more difficulty modes and I would think at that point it is more open like Skyrim would be, but for that Im speculating.

• Players can experience the PvE areas of other alliances after completing their own alliance storyline. This mechanic scales the difficulty of PvE areas to level 50 and higher, in a mechanic labelled "50+". Once a player completes the second full faction story arc, they can begin the third and final alliance quest line which is termed "50++". This system dramatically extends the amount of content the game has to offer at launch, and allows for players to continue to be challenged by soloable content at a high level. Although you can explore these other areas once you reach level 50, you?ll still only be able to group and socialize with members of your own native alliance.

Exploration

• Players are initially restricted to exploring the lands of only their own faction, as well as the contested AvA area of Cyrodiil after they reach level 10. Upon completing their main alliance storyline, they can elect to explore the provinces of an alternate alliance.(TWIT),(GF1)
    • The world is split up into provinces, regions, and zones. It is not fully seamless, and some short loading screens are present when moving between zones.(TF1)
    • The in-game map will mark key locations, quests, and places of interest. Many caves, ruins, or dungeons will not become marked on the map until they are discovered by the player, or described by an NPC. The map icons for various locations are familiar to players of Skyrim, denoting caves, towns, shrines, and more with their own identifying markers.(GI1),(TF1)
    • Quests are discoverable using the mini-map, where an icon will appear when you are near a quest-giving NPC or object. NPCs worth talking to will glow a light shade of yellow, indicating they offer a quest or advance an an objective.(GF1),(GN1)
    • A compass will help direct the player towards nearby towns, dungeons, and places of interest, this feature is intended to preserve the feeling of a traditional single player TES experience. The compass is one of many UI elements which may be disabled if the player prefers.(ME3),(GI8)
    • ZOS is designed to reward exploration with "vignettes" that are small events or challenges which are hidden off the beaten path around the world. Additionally, exploration will lead to the discovery of additional quests, loot, and possibly achievements throughout the world.(GI8),(TF1)
    • Fast travel as existed in Oblivion and Skyrim will not be allowed in the MMO. Instead, Wayshrines will allow players to traverse large distances between a set of fixed points, however, players must discover the target Wayshrine before using it for travel.(GI1)
    • Mounts will be in the game, but will conform to existing Elder Scrolls lore. Horses are the primary mode of personal transportation in Tamriel, and TESO will remain consistent on this point. Players should not expect to obtain flying mounts or other exotic steeds.(GI1),(GI10)
    Source:

There Is Always Hope!

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I am not exactly sure what you mean OP, but from what has been publically released I can say that mobs have levels.  The game has also been publically stated to have a leveling path up until Cyrodil (and then 50+ and 50++ content).  In the videos released thus far you can witness higher level players fighting lower level mobs with ease, like in most level based mmos. 

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

what the developers can do is to ensure there is a mapping of world monster grind content which ensures players, even at max level, will encounter other grinding players during a war. so you ensure there is a mapping of a mix of mid to high level grinding areas in the pvp warzone. the lower levels may still be quite empty (in the early starter zone) when new player numbers are lower.

maybe ESO has a better solution in that the warzone has no level grinding content at all. that wud be interesting. Maybe just max level boss monsters for the war to contend with.

• psychosiszzpsychosiszz Member UncommonPosts: 45

Mate sad to break the news to you. Its not open world, its not seamless but zoned, also its phrased so its basically like playing a game with lobby rooms... Also you can't see enemy players in the world even if you go to there zone, so no world pvp. Only one zergastic area for pvp. The combat isn't aim based, its target based which = 0 skill.

Sounds like fun...

Its basically a themepark game and I feel sorry for the people who buy the game as its going to be another SWTOR.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by psychosiszz

Mate sad to break the news to you. Its not open world, its not seamless but zoned, also its phrased so its basically like playing a game with lobby rooms... Also you can't see enemy players in the world even if you go to there zone, so no world pvp. Only one zergastic area for pvp. The combat isn't aim based, its target based which = 0 skill.

Sounds like fun...

Its basically a themepark game and I feel sorry for the people who buy the game as its going to be another SWTOR.

Don't be so sure.

Yes it is a themepark, but ESO has righted so much that SWTOR got wrong.

The endgame in ESO is impressive to say the least. Check this post out if you haven't already:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/forums/thread/397143/Eurogamer-Interview-that-touches-on-Available-End-Game-Content.html