Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brain - Machine interfacing gaming?

irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Brain - Machine interfacing gaming?

TED Talk with Miguel Nicolelis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_LBcZg_84

Brain Computer Interfacing (BCI)  with the subject controlling an avatar using the mind including a sense of touch from a pure virtual environment sending electric message directly back to the brain (8:24)

I am posting this because I know there are a few in these forums who track the Oculus Rift and have virtual reality gaming desires. Not to mention I see the occasional mention of Sword Art Online, Accel World, and GITS as a desired VR MMO.

One day this technology or something may result in full sensory immersion gaming possible, and/or have a huge impact on almost every other aspect of life depending on its ubiquity. It's incredible what our minds can adapt to outside our simple fleshy containers, and how far reaching the perfection of this technology or brain mapping can be.

Problem right now for BCI, even if they master the current iteration of tech, is they still are restricted to seemingly invasive procedure to get a high fidelity signal from and to the brain. We currently have some less than stellar options for BCI minus sensory input, and from its reviews it seems little more than a gimmick due to the setup time, lack of gaming application, and sensitivity.

http://emotiv.com/epoc/features.php

Even so, IMO if the Oculus Rift is well received, we will see virtual reality augments such as haptic/tactile feedback devices, body motion sensors, and other devices thrive. This, I hope will include a more precise technology for BCI although gaming may be the last to receive it compared to Military, or medical adaptation (See DARPA Avatar, HAND, RE-NET projects)

The above photo is pretty popular, but definitely may be one of the possible downside to complete Virtual Reality immersion. If everything in game seems real and is much more rewarding that real life then the user will most likely prefer being "In Game" as if dependent. Just figure I would add that in there to put some perspective on emerging VR tech having a negative aspect that can be abused much like any thing else.

To end it, I hope some fellow VR fans will get to see something new in my post, or maybe intrigue other gamers to the appeal of full VR applications. If any of you have other interesting VR tech or research info please share it, especially about tactile or haptic feedback research since that is really the only true barrier that remains to complete immersion....oh and answer the poll :)

H+

Comments

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

I was an RPG'er before I became an MMO'er

Shadowrun had sim-sense

Cyberpunk had the Braindance

Both were portrayed as worse than crack or meth, ie highly addictive, which I think is a sensible portrayal of a possible future technology. I'd still be all over that tech in a heartbeat though, just hook me up to an IV and plug me in.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Humans addicted to VR is bad, but only in the sense that it'll lower the productivity of society - something that can be overcome by robotic workforce, multiplying the productive power of people remaining grounded in reality.

Sure, such robotic workforce is fantasy right now - but so is VR. Once those robots will appear - all the humanity will need for progress is a couple of millions of elite productive members. The rest of humanity, all those billions, may go hang themselves - or die out in the VR addiction - they will be irrelevant.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Grahor

Humans addicted to VR is bad, but only in the sense that it'll lower the productivity of society - something that can be overcome by robotic workforce, multiplying the productive power of people remaining grounded in reality.

Sure, such robotic workforce is fantasy right now - but so is VR. Once those robots will appear - all the humanity will need for progress is a couple of millions of elite productive members. The rest of humanity, all those billions, may go hang themselves - or die out in the VR addiction - they will be irrelevant.

Yes, men of iron are good things...

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

In the end everything you do and feel is just in your brain, stored as a memory. There is no such thing as artificial or fake experience, it is just experience. So yes, it would be highly addictive, everyone would prefer to live a life of a superhero than a regular one.

Oculus Rift is already getting close, since people have the same reactions in game as in real life (they take away their hand if they see object in game that is in the way etc.) Even without feeling of touch it already cheats the brain, so it is just a matter of time. Add to that SOEmote, which allows your character model to have your movement and facial expressions and you already have some convincing virtual reality. I could already see a good SAO game just with that, I hope the Oculus Rift technology will be realeased into mainstream soon.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Not until the point where I can literally ditch my body forever and live as a data frequency stored upon the web, and never die...That'd be nice, accessing whatever I see fit and the likes, not being tied to the flesh bag....which I am fond of mind you....but if the immersion was 100% then all the characters I make and avatars would be tailored to my tastes! 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Electro057
    Not until the point where I can literally ditch my body forever and live as a data frequency stored upon the web, and never die...That'd be nice, accessing whatever I see fit and the likes, not being tied to the flesh bag....which I am fond of mind you....but if the immersion was 100% then all the characters I make and avatars would be tailored to my tastes! 

Why would you want to never die? For all you know death is merely the next step in evolution. Living forever sounds like a nightmare to me.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Why would you want to never die? For all you know death is merely the next step in evolution. Living forever sounds like a nightmare to me.

Death is death, the cease of biological functions and existence. Your brain shuts off, chemical signals, memories, opinions, speech, and everything you are vanishes. I'd rather continue to exist, for as long as possible....Life is so exciting, death is finite and boring. I don't believe in magical fairies and lands beyond. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Upload your butt onto a small fusion powered ship with repair systems (nanites most preferably), decent self defense weapons and a system for collecting hydrogen and other light gases for your fusion reactor and you're good to head out into the wider galaxy  (even universe) exploring.

Death is death, the cease of biological functions and existence. Your brain shuts off, chemical signals, memories, opinions, speech, and everything you are vanishes. I'd rather continue to exist, for as long as possible....Life is so exciting, death is finite and boring. I don't believe in magical fairies and lands beyond. 

If you don't believe in lands beyond, then you should also not believe that there is enough variety in life to keep you busy for few life times, let alone an infinity. You would get ahead of everything a life has to offer in no time, and crave for more. The minute you understand every single process, and all mystery would disappear there would be nothing left to live for. If this didn't happen in few hundred years (which it would probably), or few thousand, then definately at some point in your mid billions you would kill yourself.

When you have understanding of everything in life the only thing left is to go and check if there is really something on the other side. As an intelligent being you would reach this point sooner or later. If not then you would just finally want to turn yourself off.

• BusybgBusybg Member Posts: 2

This Virtual Reality could make a game like Oasis in Ready Player One.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I am not sure you can upload your mind. You may be able to upload a copy of your consciousness but I would think you need to directly absorb your electrical energy to a compatible platform making your body die.
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

If you don't believe in lands beyond, then you should also not believe that there is enough variety in life to keep you busy for few life times, let alone an infinity. You would get ahead of everything a life has to offer in no time, and crave for more. The minute you understand every single process, and all mystery would disappear there would be nothing left to live for. If this didn't happen in few hundred years (which it would probably), or few thousand, then definately at some point in your mid billions you would kill yourself.

When you have understanding of everything in life the only thing left is to go and check if there is really something on the other side. As an intelligent being you would reach this point sooner or later. If not then you would just finally want to turn yourself off.

Ohhhhhh, I'd find something to do.....particularly people and things. Plus, if you focus on people then you'll never really get bored, even though the species as a whole is predictable you can always find pleasure in letting individuals surprise and amuse you right? I've thought on this before, and I reason that either being immortal would indeed drive you crazy from boredom or just a lack of intrigue in the universe or you would find something to fixate upon fiercely to the point you would seem odd or alien to most people. You'd also probably be far removed if you lived for so long....which could be interesting. But I agree, you'd have to find something or many little things to amuse yourself with or you'd go crazy after a century or two let alone a millenium. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i expect any roleplayer or pen&paper rpg gamer will love this
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    I am not sure you can upload your mind. You may be able to upload a copy of your consciousness but I would think you need to directly absorb your electrical energy to a compatible platform making your body die.

Eventually this will be possible. If we have enough computing power to mimic the processes of the brain, then replicating the current state of a brain would be possible. As you said, it would be a copy though.

The part that seems less likely or impossible is reintegrating the experiences of that copy back into the original, or even merging the experiences of two copies into one another. The operation of our brains isn't random, but it's not linear either. If two brain images start identical, they may diverge immediately, in small ways at first. For instance, our ability to recognize faces is structured in such a way that it's basically one brain cell per face. NY Times However, there's no guarantee that both brain images will use the same brain cell to recognize the same face. Merging the two images would have to take into account which brain cells recognize which faces and not take create duplicate recognitions. That's just one thing. What about memories, or learning new languages, that type of thing?

Something else that would be very possible is putting brains in a jar. We're already able to interface a little bit with brain tissue and nerve tissue, and we're able to pump blood, filter blood, add nutrients to blood and oxygenate blood, so keeping a brain alive should be possible. Creating a "jar" that lets us keep walking around indefinitely would be the challenge, but it's only creating much more efficiency with existing systems, not creating new ones.

Brain Machine Interface Gaming seems pretty trivial in comparison to what's possible.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Ohhhhhh, I'd find something to do.....particularly people and things. Plus, if you focus on people then you'll never really get bored, even though the species as a whole is predictable you can always find pleasure in letting individuals surprise and amuse you right? I've thought on this before, and I reason that either being immortal would indeed drive you crazy from boredom or just a lack of intrigue in the universe or you would find something to fixate upon fiercely to the point you would seem odd or alien to most people. You'd also probably be far removed if you lived for so long....which could be interesting. But I agree, you'd have to find something or many little things to amuse yourself with or you'd go crazy after a century or two let alone a millenium. 

You would get bored of people, psychologists manage to get tired and bored of people in one lifetime, despite human unpredictable nature. And humans are only a tiny part of universe, you would find them not worth your time very soon and drop the topic to move to something greater. And that greater thing would also get boring. Also the truth is, if you didn't use the last few years of your life on intensive study of the world around you, read tons of books, learn physics, chemistry, psychology etc. then you would be as lazy if you had infinity for it... If you are so hungry for experience you should be somewere in the world right now learning different culture and earning money from your knowledge, not writing on mmorpg forum and playing any games at all. One lifetime is long enough to learn very much about the world and you are not even using the time you have. Should be honest with yourself. I am. I would be as lazy as I am now with infinity, that is why I think a man would kill himself sooner or later.

Your way of thinking feels like you have too small life experience to comprehend such heavy topics, but I am starting to sound like a smartass, so I will just drop this topic, because it is offtopic anyway.

You would get bored of people, psychologists manage to get tired and bored of people in one lifetime, despite human unpredictable nature. And humans are only a tiny part of universe, you would find them not worth your time very soon and drop the topic to move to something greater. And that greater thing would also get boring. Also the truth is, if you didn't use the last few years of your life on intensive study of the world around you, read tons of books, learn physics, chemistry, psychology etc. then you would be as lazy if you had infinity for it... If you are so hungry for experience you should be somewere in the world right now learning different culture and earning money from your knowledge, not writing on mmorpg forum and playing any games at all. One lifetime is long enough to learn very much about the world and you are not even using the time you have. Should be honest with yourself. I am. I would be as lazy as I am now with infinity, that is why I think a man would kill himself sooner or later.

Your way of thinking feels like you have too small life experience to comprehend such heavy topics, but I am starting to sound like a smartass, so I will just drop this topic, because it is offtopic anyway.

Nah, I already have a degree in Molecular Biology and Genetics XD I'm done with learning about life and the universe, I had enough one time through the school system. Though I still read Cell and other biological journals daily, keeping up on the most recent scientific studies posted. I'd rather amuse myself with the smaller things in life.......

And back on the topic, I think they'd probably have to implement a life support system or some sort've mandatory break period or some such or extremists would kill themselves with overexposure. Forgetting to eat and the like....

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Sorry. Had a bad day, just got done arguing with someone else about religion, and took your post a little too personally. My apologies for the misunderstanding.
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

That's your opinion. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever to back up your claims. The only thing we know about death (scientifically)... is that we don't know much about it.

You may wish to be just ever so slightly more respectful of other people's beliefs than to dismiss it as 'magical fairies and lands beyond'. The FACT of the matter is, there are millions of people over the years who have had near-death experiences, and report seeing SOMETHING. Every year there are tens of thousands of reports of supernatural activity, unexplained by science.

Now, I'll admit that a great deal of these are probably false reports, either hallucinations brought on by some means or made up for attention, but to dismiss every single claim as being erroneous? That's foolishness.

Your condescending attitude merely shows just how intolerant & narrow minded the scientific community has become as a whole. Ironic, considering those are traits assigned by people such as yourself to various religions.

God bless.

Except.....I never said anything about religions or the like, I was simply stating my opinion and not forcing it upon any others. I don't believe in magic, the afterlife, other worlds, the supernatural, or any religion for that matter....If you or any do choose to, then that is quite fine. To me...death is death. XD I don't know why you're so upset, that's simply what I choose to believe. Choose what you may. And you're coming off as being very passive aggressive. I didn't say he had to accept my opinions or any such, I'm just saying why I'd rather not die....Because I believe when you're clinically dead, you're gone. No life signs means you've checked out......In fact I support the practice of any and all religions as long as you're not being aggressive and forceful, or causing any harm. I believe it's a freedom of choice and expression.

Also, I didn't know I had to post a disclaimer stating my posts were explicitly my opinion lest I give you concrete evidence or link you references. So for future reference...unless I am trying to state a supported fact....MY POSTS ARE OBVIOUSLY OPINION. Just like yours....Unless you're ready to cough up some credible sources with peer reviews, which are unneeded because this was a topic of why I'd rather not die. Simple answer, because I believe in the physical. I wasn't dismissing anyone else or their beliefs, I just don't share them. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

That's your opinion. There is absolutely no proof whatsoever to back up your claims. The only thing we know about death (scientifically)... is that we don't know much about it.

You may wish to be just ever so slightly more respectful of other people's beliefs than to dismiss it as 'magical fairies and lands beyond'. The FACT of the matter is, there are millions of people over the years who have had near-death experiences, and report seeing SOMETHING. Every year there are tens of thousands of reports of supernatural activity, unexplained by science.

Now, I'll admit that a great deal of these are probably false reports, either hallucinations brought on by some means or made up for attention, but to dismiss every single claim as being erroneous? That's foolishness.

Your condescending attitude merely shows just how intolerant & narrow minded the scientific community has become as a whole. Ironic, considering those are traits assigned by people such as yourself to various religions.

God bless.

Except.....I never said anything about religions or the like, I was simply stating my opinion and not forcing it upon any others. I don't believe in magic, the afterlife, other worlds, the supernatural, or any religion for that matter....If you or any do choose to, then that is quite fine. To me...death is death. XD I don't know why you're so upset, that's simply what I choose to believe. Choose what you may. And you're coming off as being very passive aggressive. I didn't say he had to accept my opinions or any such, I'm just saying why I'd rather not die....Because I believe when you're clinically dead, you're gone. No life signs means you've checked out......In fact I support the practice of any and all religions as long as you're not being aggressive and forceful, or causing any harm. I believe it's a freedom of choice and expression.

Also, I didn't know I had to post a disclaimer stating my posts were explicitly my opinion lest I give you concrete evidence or link you references. So for future reference...unless I am trying to state a supported fact....MY POSTS ARE OBVIOUSLY OPINION. Just like yours....Unless you're ready to cough up some credible sources with peer reviews, which are unneeded because this was a topic of why I'd rather not die. Simple answer, because I believe in the physical. I wasn't dismissing anyone else or their beliefs, I just don't share them. 

I find it pretty suspicious that for someone with a degree in molecular biology you completely reject possibility of any type of afterlife. In fact as a guy who is into science, you should be aware of all the studies, especially in quantum physics, about the fact that our conciousness might not necessarily be tied to our physical body. It is not a matter of religion or belief, it is just rejecting possibilities, that might be proven by science in the near future.

Well it is hard to believe that inteligent person would reject anything with such certaininty, as it is a perk of being intelligent that you realize that every possiblity is possible and as you were wrong many times as a child being certain that you are right, you might be wrong right now too.

• DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103

Here's an example of the product in action.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    There's enough problems with the existing Chair-Keyboard interface.   Aren't we afraid that involving the brain will pretty much ruin gaming?   And do we really want more direct exposure to gamers' brains?  It's bad enough getting crumbs out of my keyboard.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The topic always leaves me imagining rats hooked up to skinner boxes.