Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Download Conspiracy

Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

*puts tinfoil hat on*

I have been trying to get a copy of FF XIV to play for about a week now, not too intense of a search but still a search.

While I cannot get a PC copy there are PS3 copies a plenty.

So, could I use my tinfoil hat to draw a conclusion that SE is "pushing" the PS3 version? I could. As new servers have been up for at least a day now and DDL is still down.

*crumples tinfoil hat*

That just popped into my head this morning, not that I take it too much to heart.

I will say that at this point I think I just don't care enough to "wait with bated breath" anymore.

Comments

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

It was announced all digital sales have been suspended.  If you can't find a physical copy of the PC version anywhere, you are SOL until they're restocked or digital sales resume.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Honestly,

With the bust the first week was HERE is what I would do if I were SE:

Fix the server issue (check)

Monitor the average server usage/population over the course of a week (in progress)

Unlock those worlds which are below peak usage and will not impact current customers

Re-open digital distribution

P.S. FYI, we've discussed already I was searching for EVER for my PS3 copy.  I didn't look for the PC copy but I haven't seen those in the wild at-ALL.  But then again, most game stores don't have sizable PC areas anymore either though since you can "just buy digital".

• BhobBhob Member UncommonPosts: 126

I think you can still download a digital copy from SE if you are willing to do the cd key route.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Just checked again. NO Digital DL, not from Amazon, not from SE, not Gamestop, Not Bustbuy, none of them. I did however find copies of the PS3 version at Both Walmarts in my area, 4 gamestops within 100 miles, 10 Bestbuys within 200 miles.

Now maybe I am blind to trends, but if these numbers speak true all of these retailers are fail. Yup they fail to see the market PC gaming holds.

Or SE is trying to push the PS3 version. As a side note, I'd play on my PS3, but I don't have a keyboard for it, or the desire to fight with my wife and daughter for the TV, they like their Netflix and Hulu.

If there are so many copies floating around for the PS3, why not open DDL? Unless you want more on the PS3? I see an economic argument that SE is trying to manipulate the market. How? Simple, flood the market with PS3 versions in the hope that I, or any other consumer with both will buy whatever version available.

Just as I support my right to NOT to be forced to buy said product, I support SE's right to only sell the one.

This was more of a time filler for me and my overactive imagination. I don't have a mmo I like to play ATM.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Did you check green man gaming? i don't think they ever stopped selling. A lot of my guildies bought it from here. They ran out of stock now but they never stopped the sales.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/in/en/pc/games/mmos/final-fantasy-xiv-realm-reborn/

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Just checked again. NO Digital DL, not from Amazon, not from SE, not Gamestop, Not Bustbuy, none of them. I did however find copies of the PS3 version at Both Walmarts in my area, 4 gamestops within 100 miles, 10 Bestbuys within 200 miles.

Now maybe I am blind to trends, but if these numbers speak true all of these retailers are fail. Yup they fail to see the market PC gaming holds.

Or SE is trying to push the PS3 version. As a side note, I'd play on my PS3, but I don't have a keyboard for it, or the desire to fight with my wife and daughter for the TV, they like their Netflix and Hulu.

If there are so many copies floating around for the PS3, why not open DDL? Unless you want more on the PS3? I see an economic argument that SE is trying to manipulate the market. How? Simple, flood the market with PS3 versions in the hope that I, or any other consumer with both will buy whatever version available.

Just as I support my right to NOT to be forced to buy said product, I support SE's right to only sell the one.

This was more of a time filler for me and my overactive imagination. I don't have a mmo I like to play ATM.

I believe other people have already answered this. SE are waiting to see if there upgrades work before they reopen DD sales. It's only been a few days since the upgrade. If I were SE I would give it at least a week before I open the doors to a new flood of gamers.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

One word "Contracts"

While they can suspend thier own sales online downloading off thier site, some contracts keep them locked into having to make the game available, so you might see some outlets selling still and some now.   

Also most merchnats have a set number of keys they make available, and if they stop the sales, they would be stoping it by not giving any more keys out to online outlets.   Thats also why you see some still selling till they cannot get anymore keys from SE.

Sony has contracts, which they forced FFXI to uphold in the past to keep the ps2 verion of FFXI until the very end of service of the game.   So needless to say, FFXI is stuck on ps2 forever, no escaping it unless they want to be sue'd.    Something to keep in mind when you see this contractual relation ship with sony.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

As we want start today our Journey through FF14-ARR we had to buy one more game yesterday digital and we were successful but it was quite a hassle to get on the right Server, sometimes around 5 am in the morning it finally worked...

As i had the CE from the original i have 11 days free atm which is quite nice to test it.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM