Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO: beta testing for new graphics engine

2»

Comments

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I played the game the first month of release but never subbed. After reading more about it last year I kind of wish I had because it sounds like it was pretty awesome in its prime. The launch was just epically bad.  I tried to play last year but just couldn't get past the graphics and mouse controls. Mainly the mouse controls. The graphics while rough I could deal with if the gameplay was there but I just couldn't get the movement/mouse look controls to behave in a comfortable way. I posted to forums to find a way to configure it better but didn't have any luck.

Any way to have RMB free look, LMB turn your character, RMB + LMB run forward? It's nice to be able to autorun while free looking around your character but even just manually moving my character while trying to also look around felt awkward to me.

I'm rooting for Funcom to convert to the new engine and bring life and players back into the game.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by Stryx74

I played the game the first month of release but never subbed. After reading more about it last year I kind of wish I had because it sounds like it was pretty awesome in its prime. The launch was just epically bad.  I tried to play last year but just couldn't get past the graphics and mouse controls. Mainly the mouse controls. The graphics while rough I could deal with if the gameplay was there but I just couldn't get the movement/mouse look controls to behave in a comfortable way. I posted to forums to find a way to configure it better but didn't have any luck.

Any way to have RMB free look, LMB turn your character, RMB + LMB run forward? It's nice to be able to autorun while free looking around your character but even just manually moving my character while trying to also look around felt awkward to me.

I'm rooting for Funcom to convert to the new engine and bring life and players back into the game.

I heard if you complain about the controls enough in multiple threads they will change them for your personal enjoyment.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Can i still do mission to lvel 200 ? ;)
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    That "HD remake" article reminded me about the AO engine upgrade. A little suprised it still isnt here yet, but happy to see sign-ups for the beta.  Even thoguh the upgraded graphics will already be somewhat dated, it will be nice to see an improved Rubika. Suddenly this beta is one of my most looked forward to games on the near horizon.
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

I don't believe anything Funcom says anymore, they are liars and con-artists. Atleast the part of funcom in charge of AO.

They have screwed me so many times over the years.

I love Anarchy Online but I hate Funcom so much. So freaking much. I was so upset about SWG NGE, I never thought I could hate a company as much as I hated Sony for what they did. But Funcom is the worst.

Tried for years to get my stolen account back and they just keep telling me BS. Petitioning accomplishes nothing... they claim they upgraded the servers but there is so much lag and disconecting and it makes no sense.. the population is so low.. why is there more lag.. servers merged+upgraded hardware+less players= more lag ?..wtf.

Like George W. Bush said ...

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Finally! Yeesh!! I wonder if we'll actually get to play the finished product before the apocalyse.
  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Necromancy at it's finest.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My first mmo. Its to bad Shadowlands killed it. Rubi Ka is a dead place. They need to do more than upgrade the graphics. Rubi Ka used to be so alive back in its hay day. Now its an empty place because everyone is in the shadowlands because you get more xp and better gear. You can run around a city on Rubi Ka and only see a handful of players. And the cities are huge. Back before Shadowlands on weekends cities would be laggy because all the players. I miss those days. It will never be the same.
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Hariken
    My first mmo. Its to bad Shadowlands killed it. Rubi Ka is a dead place. They need to do more than upgrade the graphics. Rubi Ka used to be so alive back in its hay day. Now its an empty place because everyone is in the shadowlands because you get more xp and better gear. You can run around a city on Rubi Ka and only see a handful of players. And the cities are huge. Back before Shadowlands on weekends cities would be laggy because all the players. I miss those days. It will never be the same.

Yeah, but It's not just Rubi-ka that is empty.

Back in 2004-2007 borealis was full 24/7, not just weekends.

And it's still laggy in the cities.. even when they are empty..lol

On weekends there are more players, not tons but enough...just wish there where more players mon-friday.

I would be surprised if a graphics engine will save the game...i think it's vaporware but if it's not, all that would happen is people will come to the game for a few months like when Lost Eden was released then the games flaws will make them quit.

It's like taking a junk car and doing body work on it so it looks like new..it may look good on the outside but on the inside it's still a piece of junk.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    One thing the new engine is surposed to do is improve how the game runs on modern systems. So it should be alot less laggy. The games engine was just so old. I had a friend who set up a Windows 98SE system just to play the game without the lag. But i wish the cities would be full again. God those were the best times i've ever had in a mmo. I had so many friends in that game. We would go on hunting trips in the Southern Artery Valley. Talk about some evil hardcore mobs. Lvl cap of 200 in that game. The good old days of gaming.
  • DeepcutsDeepcuts Member UncommonPosts: 22

God I miss AO and the community.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Me too, I go back once a year and play for a few days and then the ghost town sadness just gets the best of me.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Harafnir
    Still the best and most complex game on the market. When that graphics upgrade hits, I will subsrcibe faster than you can say Atrox.

+1