Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Account Magic Find and Ascended Crafting

2»

Comments

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by zasten
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

So why BS, just say what it actually is, 0.0003 percent chance of getting an exotic!

Because saying +300% magic find is "OMG AWESOME Anet is the best evar!!!"

If they said what it actually is then this news about the change to magic find wouldnt sound nearly as exciting.

It's pretty clear you and Zasten have no understanding of systems like this or what they mean.  In fact, this is the first I've ever heard anyone complain about it.  Think about that for a few minutes.

Just as you have no idea what 100% chance of something happening means!

I was not complaining so much about the game but the terminology used. I could not care less about MF. 300% = 3 no fail chance happenings. Which in this case, it is just not true! Saying it is 300% is just trying to sugar coat it so we get excited.

Please...

We have explained why your notion was wrong.

No need to act up because you didn't get it the first time around.

Before you respond in a hostile manner: Here's a fun game... If you roll a 6-sided die whats the chance (probability) of rolling a 4 on your first roll?

Bonus question: How many times do you need to roll the die to get a guaranteed (100% probability) roll of 4?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Halandir

So why BS, just say what it actually is, 0.0003 percent chance of getting an exotic!

If they said what it actually is then this news about the change to magic find wouldnt sound nearly as exciting.

It's pretty clear you and Zasten have no understanding of systems like this or what they mean.  In fact, this is the first I've ever heard anyone complain about it.  Think about that for a few minutes.

I was not complaining so much about the game but the terminology used. I could not care less about MF. 300% = 3 no fail chance happenings. Which in this case, it is just not true! Saying it is 300% is just trying to sugar coat it so we get excited.

Please...

Before you respond in a hostile manner: Here's a fun game... If you roll a 6-sided die whats the chance (probability) of rolling a 4 on your first roll?

Bonus question: How many times do you need to roll the die to get a guaranteed (100% probability) roll of 4?

Rolling  4 on a 6 sided dice is a 1 in 6 chance, regardless of how many times you roll it, it is still a 1 in 6 chance of success. My point is, that just as this is not a 100% chance of success, neither is saying that the player will have a 300% chance of getting an exotic! There is no such thing as any value over 100% and saying so is just wrong!

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Those who compare MF to Diablo II need to understand the itemization and leveling in that game allowed you to be as powerful as you really need to farm mobs.

I love this new implementation, it gives a new sense of purpose through the form of leveling luck, new progression is always good.

About time content I really don't understand the complaint, they're not implementing it while charging you a monthly fee. For example in WoW you basically pay to succesfully raid 4 times per month - your skill and time availability doesn't really matter past the point you're able to kill a boss once every 7 days of attempts.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by zasten So why BS, just say what it actually is, 0.0003 percent chance of getting an exotic!
    Because saying +300% magic find is "OMG AWESOME Anet is the best evar!!!"   If they said what it actually is then this news about the change to magic find wouldnt sound nearly as exciting.

I know exactly what magic find is.

I knew what it was 13 year ago in Diablo 2 and I know what it is GW2. Its not like magic find is something new that ArenaNet created.

And people complain that magic find is a horrible system constantly. Just because you dont see people complain about it among your circle of GW2 fans doesnt mean the criticisms are not there.

Think about that for a few minutes.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Please...

Rolling  4 on a 6 sided dice is a 1 in 6 chance, regardless of how many times you roll it, it is still a 1 in 6 chance of success. My point is, that just as this is not a 100% chance of success, neither is saying that the player will have a 300% chance of getting an exotic! There is no such thing as any value over 100% and saying so is just wrong!

The percentage is multiplicative of the base, not additive (1/6 + 100% != 116%). If you understand that an increase of 200% means multiply the base by 3 (or add 2 times the base), then there is such a thing as increasing chance by 200%. (1/6 + 200% = 1/6 * 3 = 1/6 + 1/6 + 1/6 = 0.5)

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

50% is nowhere near 300%
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

This is possibly the stupidest conversation I've ever seen on this forum, lol

So much so that only the fictional word stupidest can describe it.

agreed!
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Nice, and I'm glad I don't need to craft only to get ascendant weapons, looking forward to seeing what they look like.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Please...

And they dident say that either, they said you magic find stat can be 300%.

Would you be happy if they said 3 times added to this magic number we wont tell you?

Edit

An example lets say your magic find base is 1 with 300% boost it would be 4 Yay

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"To facilitate this process, we have reset everyone’s Exotic weapon discoveries so that you will be able to re-discover them and get that sweet XP bonus once again."

WTF why are they stealing from us!!!

I bought some of these from a vendor so feel they have no entitlement to steal them back!

You did not discover a bought item.. They said discoveries.

Personally is it one thing that really annoys me with GW2 right now: The mystic toilet. I do flush down at least 4 rare weapons there every day, usually a lot more.  The other legendary stuff is fine, I already have most of what I need besides the pre-cursor and I constantly improves slowly all stuff I need and I am really close right now but I don't really feel like buying a pre-cursor for several hundred gold (it kinda feels weak and cheating).

Then again, getting the legendary is what keeps me to log on every day besides some WvW with friends.

I must say I don't see the magic find properties working well either. In the scarlet invasions I have looted many hundred bags and loads of loose gear and gotten 2 bad exotics armors with a rather high magic find (100+) while my buddie with 1% have gotten 3 different precursors and about the same numbers of rares. So magic finds need some improvements. I do get a lot more greens though but they are vendor trash anyways once you hit lvl 35.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by zasten So why BS, just say what it actually is, 0.0003 percent chance of getting an exotic!
    Because saying +300% magic find is "OMG AWESOME Anet is the best evar!!!"   If they said what it actually is then this news about the change to magic find wouldnt sound nearly as exciting.
    I know exactly what magic find is.

I knew what it was 13 year ago in Diablo 2 and I know what it is GW2. Its not like magic find is something new that ArenaNet created.

And people complain that magic find is a horrible system constantly. Just because you dont see people complain about it among your circle of GW2 fans doesnt mean the criticisms are not there.

Think about that for a few minutes.

I was referring to percentages, not the actual game mechanic.  I tend to agree that magic find is a wonky idea as well.  It just complicates things.