Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3d Gaming in MMOs? Thoughts and Experiences

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Somehow off the radar of gamers, both single player gamers and MMO gamers is the entire topic of 3d. I must admit... I never watched a movie in 3d. (lol) The only 3d experiences I had was 30 years ago the early films with red+blue glasses, and then in the 1980ies the short wave of (crappy) 3d in some 3d stands, in cafes and special 3d places. Both not really making me thrilled. As you can see from me not going to a 3d movie, I remain mostly skeptical, because I fear the 3d may be a bit too intrusive and making me feel sick.

As it is we have for computer two different developments.

First the Nvidia 3d Vision 2, the newest variant of the Shutter technology. It is quite demanding though. You need a 120 Hz monitor, which strangely seems to vanish again? I looked them up at Amazon, they were QUITE expensive and had mixed reviews, so I wondered if 120 Hz monitors were really good? The positive thing seems to me the considerably lighter glasses.

Second of course the now famous Oculus Rift. It is still in development, and the good thing is you need to buy only the glasses, but the downside is that is looks QUITE heavy. I am really not sure if I want to wear such a BIG apparatus on my eyes for my often very long gaming sessions.

So, what do you guys think? Which 3d technology is better and why? Does anyone of you own one or even both of these and can report about these? Is 3d the future or just another fluke that will soon pass?

Opinion away!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

While I don't think stereoscopic 3D is going to die out entirely as it repeatedly has in the past, neither do I think it's going to advance beyond a small but significant niche in gaming anytime soon.  It certainly won't be widespread for gaming (as counted by gamers that use it) until stereoscopic 3D is nearly ubiquitous in televisions, as it's vastly easier to implement properly in televisions.  And I don't see the latter happening anytime soon.

But it will be available for the people who like it.  While few games properly support stereoscopic 3D today, it's in the industry standard graphics APIs (DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.2) and probably fairly easy to support if you're using the right APIs, so I'd expect game support for stereoscopic 3D to be fairly common several years from now (i.e., supported by most AAA titles and some indie titles).

Incidentally, the Xbox One's heavy reliance on 32 GB of ESRAM is basically death to stereoscopic 3D.  It's not that it can't run; it's just that it will carry a huge performance hit unless you're willing to play games at 1366x768.  The PlayStation 4 doesn't rely on ESRAM to make up for otherwise insufficient system memory bandwidth, so it would probably be able to support stereoscopic 3D with a much smaller performance hit.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I personaly think 3d gaming will set off once we get 3d monitors without the use of glasses.

The few test I read on 3d gaming all had the same conclusion. It's fun and amazing for a little while but it doesn't seem that many want to do it hours on a end.

I also think 3d vision from Nvidia will soon be forgotten. But if you want to go for something like that, just buy a big screen led HD tv. 120hz are  incredible cheap these day's due to the upcoming of smart tv's.

We have a very nice 3d smart tv ( UE55 ES8000/800hz) but to be honost never plugged my pc on it. To afraid I don't wanna go back to my 24 inch hd monitor which does suite me perfect as any bigger would be hard on my eye's sitting at about 40/50 cm from it..

So even though I could convert anything on screen into 3d if it's not originaly 3d and isn't  as good as true 3d I still never tried it.

I love movies in 3d, both home aswell or even better in a IMAX theatre I defenitly would recommand it. Avatar the movie had put me to the test since I am also a migrain patient. But I never had any issue's watching 3d.