Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking a failed launch to new levels

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
Not only can I not log in with my character, I cannot even create another character to play on a lesser populated server. Worse launch I have been a part of when the game is running.....you just are not allowed to play it. Would be better knowing no one could play because it was so broken. Selfish but true.
Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Comments

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Mako482
    Not only can I not log in with my character, I cannot even create another character to play on a lesser populated server. Worse launch I have been a part of when the game is running.....you just are not allowed to play it. Would be better knowing no one could play because it was so broken. Selfish but true.

More like taking a overly underestimated successful launch to new levels.

Days of people expecting only a few hundred thousand players are gone,  we have millions of gamers now, and they are marching around on top of smaller titles. 

You can thank the success of this game to why your server is now so full you cannot log in.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Worst MMO launch would have to be Anarchy Online..... omg this is nothing compared to that.

Most recent terrible MMO launch would be SWTOR, I was in que for 2 to 3 hours during that early start. Which the Time I was able to get in was about the same time im able to log into FF.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by fistorm
    Originally posted by Mako482

More like taking a overly underestimated successful launch to new levels.

Days of people expecting only a few hundred thousand players are gone,  we have millions of gamers now, and they are marching around on top of smaller titles. 

You can thank the success of this game to why your server is now so full you cannot log in.

And they should have been able to gauge this through beta interests. There isn't even a freaking queue, server is full try again later lol. What kind of crap is that? I should know better and stop giving these people my money until after they get their crap together.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Worst MMO launch would have to be Anarchy Online..... omg this is nothing compared to that.

Most recent terrible MMO launch would be SWTOR, I was in que for 2 to 3 hours during that early start. Which the Time I was able to get in was about the same time im able to log into FF.

I sincerely don't care, I paid $50 to play THIS game and I don't appreciate paying money for something and having it be a one sided transaction. At least let me create my toon and get in a queue. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You have to be patient with new releases of mmorgs, some releases just don't go as smoothly. I have another game as backup so you don't sit swearing at a screen - in the big scheme of things the first week is a drop in the potential lifetime of a mmorg.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    that's why i always buy new mmos a week after release.
  • stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

I think people some times do not realize what they asking for.  No matter how good an MMO is there is still going to be a huge spike in the first 10 days or so...at least for major releases.  They are never going to see this many people online at once again or not for a very long time.  So what you are asking them to do is spend money(probably lots of money) on servers to support something for only a few days.  Really where is that money going to come from?  Design budget?  increased price?

Come on it is not realistic to expect them to waste money to support a spike that will only last a few days.  It is realistic to expect them to be able to keep the game up during launch and to have servers capable of supporting the game easily without problems once the login traffic is stable.  But expecting them to spend tons of money so you don't have to sit at a login screen for a few days seems like wasted money to me, I would rather see that money go into more game content or hell a bigger customer support team or whatever.

However the fact that people are not auto-logged for inactivity(afk) is not acceptable.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    If the problems still exist today then its just total fail on Square. I had no problem with the downtimes over the weekend but they have had 3 days to get this fixed for the official launch day. 
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by stratasaurus

When a big new store has a grand opening in a big city people don't just assume they will be able to go at opening, get a close parking spot, walk in and find everything they want, and then check out without having to wait in a line.

They know they have a choice of either dealing with waiting for parking, stuff not being in stock that they want, waiting in a huge line, being cramped by other people.  They make the choice of either dealing with it or waiting till the grand opening weekend is over and everything is calm and normal.

That is the exact same choice that you have with a major MMO release.  Either deal with the lines and not getting everything you want the way you want it.  Or sit back and chill knowing that in a few days all the craziness will be over.

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by khartokhar3
    that's why i always buy new mmos a week after release.

I go with a good 6 months. Generally get a free trial by then. Most of the major bugs/balance issues have been worked out. People are trading and selling more stuff. Crafters are up to speed. Areas aren't overcrowded. Queues to log in don't exist. You can just hop in and play.

And of course by then you can see if it is worth playing by if everyone that jumped in it jumped back out in the first few months.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Your really defending this?  I understand being a fan of a game which I'm one but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. 

Originally posted by grimal

Not really the same thing at all.  For one, you don't pay an entrance fee for a store.  In this case, we already paid for these days (now lost) with the initial purchase.

This would be more on par with buying tickets to an amusement park for a certain date and then being told the park is full and come back later in the day.

You are right cause I have never paid to go an amusement park and then had to wait in line for a ride because it was full.  I forgot they refund you a percent of your ticket for all the time you wait in lines not actually able to ride the rides you want.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    ID rather they restrict log in then have servers crash and or duty finder crash. IF they didnt restrict it you would be crying about how the servers dont work, the duty finder doesnt work, ect ect. People just love to bitch about something.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Your really defending this?  I understand being a fan of a game which I'm one but there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. 

I'm not really a fan of the game.  Haven't bought it yet though I will give it a try.  I just think you guys are totally unreasonable for any MMO at launch.  You are right enough is enough.  If their servers were down that is enough.  However the fact is you guys want to do something at the exact same time everyone else wants to do the same thing and you expect you should be able to do it without waiting.  To me that is not being reasonable.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by hockeyguy98
    Originally posted by grimal

You are right cause I have never paid to go an amusement park and then had to wait in line for a ride because it was full.  I forgot they refund you a percent of your ticket for all the time you wait in lines not actually able to ride the rides you want.

My problem with your idea is I can see the line.  I have an idea of how long its going to take for me to reach the ride.  How they cant have a que that says I am 193483284 in line is BS.  Now people have to sit at the computer click start, click their toon, click ok, get error 17 click ok and start over and do that for hours.  I am confused how you dont see that as a major issue?  

Is this your first MMO?

• blackburn11blackburn11 Member Posts: 46

So what you are asking them to do is spend money(probably lots of money) on servers to support something for only a few days.  Really where is that money going to come from?  Design budget?  increased price?

Come on it is not realistic to expect them to waste money to support a spike that will only last a few days.  It is realistic to expect them to be able to keep the game up during launch and to have servers capable of supporting the game easily without problems once the login traffic is stable.  But expecting them to spend tons of money so you don't have to sit at a login screen for a few days seems like wasted money to me, I would rather see that money go into more game content or hell a bigger customer support team or whatever.

First, we PAID for the game.  They didnt have any problem taking $30 (or more) from millions of people.  They took that money with the understanding that they give a product for that money.  

It is not ok to sell a game to millions and then only let a small % actually play the game.  Its like a lottery right now.

BUT WAIT!!!  In a couple weeks, some people that paid that money will give up on the game and then those that are left standing can get on.  Sweet.

But I am with you.  Why waste money on getting paying customers into the game.  Put that money towards new content.... that maybe some can play.

But if you are happy stratasaurus, good for you.

Originally posted by hockeyguy98

My problem with your idea is I can see the line.  I have an idea of how long its going to take for me to reach the ride.  How they cant have a que that says I am 193483284 in line is BS.  Now people have to sit at the computer click start, click their toon, click ok, get error 17 click ok and start over and do that for hours.  I am confused how you dont see that as a major issue?  

I agree with you 100% there.  Not having a queue is stupid.  Not logging people out for being afk is stupid.  Those are valid arguments.  Having the attitude that I paid for the game so I should never have to wait to play it is what I am saying is unreasonable.

• blackburn11blackburn11 Member Posts: 46

There are lvl 50's already.

I couldnt get on during early access, I couldnt get on yesterday, I cant get on today.  But there are some people that are max level already.

I dont know if i agree with the philosophy that it is better to keep the servers running with a small % of people than to risk servers crashing.  Not fair that some play non-stop and others cant play at all.

Boo

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

I think people some times do not realize what they asking for.  No matter how good an MMO is there is still going to be a huge spike in the first 10 days or so...at least for major releases.  They are never going to see this many people online at once again or not for a very long time.  So what you are asking them to do is spend money(probably lots of money) on servers to support something for only a few days.  Really where is that money going to come from?  Design budget?  increased price?

However the fact that people are not auto-logged for inactivity(afk) is not acceptable.

Absolutely -- this is the critical problem.

If you do what the players want at the launch and bring servers online to meet demand at launch so that everyone can play, all that happens is that you maroon a decent amount of players on what turn out to be low pop servers (even low pop servers are active during a launch period, because everyone on them is playing long hours and at roughly the same time), and they begin to demand server mergers or transfers a month or so into the game.  That's what happened in WAR, and it was a big problem.

I do agree that they should kick you from the game if you are afk for more than, say, ten minutes.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

it's like that with every MMO launch to date.

New players have a reason to be upset, players who already have MMO experience should know better.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Originally posted by blackburn11

I couldnt get on during early access, I couldnt get on yesterday, I cant get on today.  But there are some people that are max level already.

I dont know if i agree with the philosophy that it is better to keep the servers running with a small % of people than to risk servers crashing.  Not fair that some play non-stop and others cant play at all.

Boo

This is why they need to boot people who are afk.  Some folks are taking naps and playing around the clock, but they are able to do this effectively because they never log out unless a maintenance boots them.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Muke Originally posted by Zeppelin4 You imagine buying the game retail today and your all excited and go to find out you can't even make a character on any server. :P
    it's like that with every MMO launch to date. New players have a reason to be upset, players who already have MMO experience should know better.
    Experienced MMO players should know better than to throw money at something that they know doesn't work and then complain about it.  They should probably just stop throwing good money away and send the right message.  It'll never happen though.  MMO gamers are too compulsive and competitive to show that sort of restraint.

sort of like your reply? and mine. lol
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by blackburn11

Boo

There were level 50s before the game launched knuckle head, I have two of them...Infact I transferred them all over to Legacy Servers and accessed them all today. Sadly they're all on Jap legacy servers :/

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB