Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone return to WoW?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There are so many people lost  in MMo land jumping from MMo to MMO, and they cant find what they are looking for in any of them...

Can anyone give them a reason to choose WoW as their new home? 

Why would we return to WoW?

(and no, i am not asking for reasons why i should not return to this game)

My main reason is having to buy the last 3 expansions might be rather steep just to try it, so there needs to be some realy good reasons for me to join.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I don't know. I end up returning every 6 months or so to leave and unsub within a couple of weeks. Unfortunately there is just nothing else out there worth playing either. I'm really starting to wonder if anyone will ever make a quality MMO like WoW was that I want to play for longer than a couple of months. I had some hope for FF:ARR but since being burned before I chose not to pre-order, apparently that was a really good decision. MY hope is fading for Wildstar, EQNext, and ESO as I learn more about each one. Sigh, maybe MMO's are not for me anymore.

At least I still have WarThunder.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Like most I buy the new expansion play for a month and then quit again and then every 6 months sub again.
    The only thing I can say is that if the rumors of the new expansion are true about it being Burning Legion themed then I am all over that in a heart beat!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'm not positive, but I think the latest expac gets you all the previous ones, too.

As far as playing again?
    - Friends still playing.
    - New content.
    - Experience how the game has changed.

That is all that come to me right now...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Some people keep an eye open for WoW sales when they offer all of the expansions for like $20. These sales seem to be happening more often too to try to battle falling subs.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

way to skip MoP for free.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

don't know dude, the game is old but it's kind of good. I think the main reason why ppl still play it is because they have spent so much time in the game that they know there way around.

Could also be because the spent so much time on the character that they don't want it to go waste.

Half of the ppl I know that plays wow hardly even like the game anymore they just play because there used to it and that many of the stuff they have have taken so much time to get that it would be a shame to leave it, but they are not having fun anymore. 

It's like this, right now I am watching a tv-show about cooking cause I am to lazy to change the chanel to something good so insteed I am stuck with masterchef crap :)

But still the game is good it's just old and nothing has changed to the better since it's lauch.

And blizzard is the most greedy company of them all charging there players for everything like switching servers and stuff like that. It's just greedy if your already paying a sub and have payed for the game aswell.

For all the money you spend you never get anything new until the next expansion which you have to pay for aswell

That said there pve raiding is easy but good if you like raiding and stuff, the game hasn't been challanging since BC expansion, other then that if you like that stuff you will love it.

PVP sucks thoo it's all who has the best gear that wins and it's boring even when your winning.

Guess I am not promoting my former game that much sorry :)

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

It's the most polished, user friendly and active MMO on the market.   

The WoW Battle Chest (includes vanilla, BC, and LK) is $19.99

Cata is $9.99

MoP is $39.99

So $69.97 for everything (plus sub).  

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    There are so many people lost  in MMo land jumping from MMo to MMO, and they cant find what they are looking for in any of them... Can anyone give them a reason to choose WoW as their new home? Why would we return to WoW? (and no, i am not asking for reasons why i should not return to this game)My main reason is having to buy the last 3 expansions might be rather steep just to try it, so there needs to be some realy good reasons for me to join.   

The only reasons i visit occasionally (usually on the 10 days free)

+Is to say high to old friends
    +Reminisce about old times.

If it were not for all the work i put in to getting the warglaives of Azzinoth then i would delete that account flat out.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Blizzard pays attention to detail and the engine is slick and the scope of available content is massive.

Yes, you can just level via dungeons if you've been there done that multiple time, but Blizz crafted an interesting and inviting world. They understand pacing more than most other developers and if you notice as you go from zone to zone, the atmosphere and environment changes.

I haven't played in about a year now, and am waiting to hear more about The Dark Below before I decide on re-subbing. But it's just a game that offers so much.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

what else they need?

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

you can also check what goodies 5.4 brings. they are many and some of them really special.

anyway, i think after all, wow (with its goods and bads) is still the king and tbh, i still dont see any new one in the near future taking its place.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    I would go back if I could get MOP for under $15.00. I won't pay more than that for it plus a sub fee. So if Blizz wants me to come back they need to make MOP far more lucrative. Otherwise I will continue to wander MMO free because nothing else is worth playing to me.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Why would we return to WoW?

Because you like the game...? Seems to be the best reason i think.

Beyond that... Who the frack knows.

My personal opinion would be, because it is one of the best overall themepark games on the market. Easy to get in to but with a nice depth and more stuff to do then you can shake a stick at.

But in the end, if you did not like the game you will most likley not do it now. It is still WoW and the base formula have not changed... Pet battles are the bomb though.

This have been a good conversation

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ it's only sentiment and addiction/lack of competition that drives wow. Look at the game as a new prospect and it's mess. e.g. wow storytelling was amazing, so what do blizzard do? They rush you past the stories and levelling and zones. Weird.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

More seriously, probably because they have fond memories of the game, enjoy (or at least tolerate) the gameplay, have friends that play, are curious about new content, and/or some other personal motivation.

Plenty of different reasons. I might not like the game all that much, but it's fair to assume there's plenty who still do and would willingly go back to the game after a hiatus to play some more.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    I would go back if I could get MOP for under $15.00. I won't pay more than that for it plus a sub fee. So if Blizz wants me to come back they need to make MOP far more lucrative. Otherwise I will continue to wander MMO free because nothing else is worth playing to me.

You should look up the definition of 'lucrative'

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

I am Demrocks and i have been wow free for a year but i still have mental breakdowns where i wake up all wet and sweaty and catch a glimpse of me and my friends standing in Molten Core where our raid leader is screaming LOOT THE FUCKING DOGS !!!

Seriously tough WoW for me lost its touch after WotLK.

Cataclysm changed my class so much that i dint enjoy it anymore.....Yes i played Warrior....for like 7 years......

Blizzard changed my class so much i just deleted 7 years worth of playing.

Dint bought MoP either as iam still pissed.

Tried playing other classes but they dint feel the same as my warrior and i could never forgive Blizzard for that.

I had a great time in WoW, prolly alot better then i had in EQ, Vanilla and TBC gave me and my brothers such fond memory's.

I sometimes still have the urge to just resub and play again, but i know i will leave disapointed again :(

The game core elements changed to much, from all the classes to all the talents, WoW for me personaly isnt WoW anymore.

By best raid achievement was a world #16 ki9ll on Thadius with my former guild Imba on Kor'gal server

Achieved rank 13 on my own - no account sharing, i could have made it to rank 14 but would have lost my wife and kids so i took a step back.

WoW was a great game, but its not even a shadow of what it once was.

I hope i ever get to play a mmo like that again tough :)

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Xssiv
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

You should look up the definition of 'lucrative'

I know how I used the word grammar police and it was correct in reference to me. Perhaps you should take your own advice...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

what else they need?

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

The reason why you remember what the npc names are is because the game is like a 100 years old and everything in wow has to be grinded a 1000 times so it's not that strange that you remember there names and GW2 and Tera has only been online for about a year so not that strange.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

@Op

As one who's amongst the best and most experienced in this genre as well as my vast experience in gaming over the last 22 years I'll tell you why you should return to WOW.

Most here who find flaws with the game are mainly unexperienced to properly find the values within the game to fully enjoy it. So here are some of the reasons why I will most likely be coming back to WOW once 5.4 hits in 2 weeks.

#1 I will be raiding 3 days a week for 3+ hours and quickly demonstrate to my guild that I'm a very valuable asset, which in exchange will deeply appreciate and respect my stay. That itself, being needed and valued to your guildmates is one good reason.

#2 Rest 4 days I will be doing xrealm RBG's, 2v2/3v3 arena PvP and other new content for the purpose of getting some bad ass rare mount. Mounts are everything in the game and one of the main reason beside titles for raiding. So raiding is not meaningless and rehashed every couple months. You permanently gain achivement/title with a date when you've completed beside mount collecting.

#3 World PvP still exists and its extremely fun when I was owning the opposite faction that was trying to do daily quests. Making players frustrated and unable to do their daily quests is priceless. Being forced to call their guildmates and cry for help.

#4 I spent entire full summer last year to finally get the Battlemaster title. Doing battlegrounds and shouting to everyone what to do was pain, but finally it paid off and now it's awesome. There are other epic titles that I will pursue like bloodthirsty.

#5 At the end WOW offers the best overall experience. It allows you to make some long lasting online friends for future gaming. It knows how to bring people together. The changes 5.4 brings to PvP are awesome and virtual realms will solve the population issues.

The only question you'll have to ask yourself is not why would anyone return to WOW, but what other MMORPG without subscribtion I could see myself enjoying for a while? Personally, I've had hard time to find that MMORPG. Maeby Path of Exile will shine again late this year once they fix solo vs group balance and further improve and polish the game.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

All the good characters I remember from WoW are older than WoW, there are some iconic ones now that I can vaguely think of who kinda just annoy me. :p

EDIT: Not sure if it was intentional, but Kopo's post reminds me of Faz from Shortpacked.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    ^^ it's only sentiment and addiction/lack of competition that drives wow. Look at the game as a new prospect and it's mess. e.g. wow storytelling was amazing, so what do blizzard do? They rush you past the stories and levelling and zones. Weird.

I dont remember WoW's/Blizzard's storytelling as amazing.  The majority of the quest dialogs were pretty generic mixed in with some occasional pop culture.  The overall or arcing lore though is indeed amazing, if you follow it all the way back to the RTS games.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol kop if you going to sell wow then be honest about the issues - i can guarantee i have raided at a level far senior to yourself and the lovely warm picture you present of end game raiding is far from the tense truth :) If anyone wants a true indication of where wow is at go read the q & a sessions on mmo champion.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Mostly, because of friends. We raid together since Cata and when we don't raid, we usually drink beer in local park (teaching youngest population how bad deseases are alcohol and Wow, lol). Was quit Wow for GW2, then got brainshot and resubed again to Wow and won't move soon (except for FFXIV, but after we gang-bang Garrosh)... But, still looking for "Wow killer" and after every crap I saw, I think I'll search for a long, long time.