Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO experience to date

Comments

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I'm having a blast.

I've tried the majority of releases over the last couple of years and  I can say that even with the bugs I'm enjoying this MMO far more than the rest of them (Excluding DAoC). I just spent 45 mins in a dungeon with 3 random people i've never met and we were all talking, enjoying the game and completed it to get amazing xp.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• UmirshandUmirshand Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Vutar
    The first few hours of the game are no doubt awful. If you can manage to keep from putting a screwdriver through your eye for entertainment value and instead continue on, it gets a little better.

Not exactly a resounding endorsement. image

This

"Look at me when I'm hitting you!"

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa
    I've never played an MMO where it's a valiant effort to find the exit to a city. Even when I asked in chat no-one could point me in the right direction. Just awful game design. 

^This

NO!

THIS:

If you zoom into the map it names the exits.

Why do I bother gonna stop.

Exactly, if the game is SO good why are you here on your Saturday talking about it instead of PLAYING IT?

One could counter that by asking, "If you don't like the game that much, why bother even joining a thread to talk about it/bash it?" Just saying if we are doing that horrible argument. :)

plus there still having issues with the instances

Plus I can't get in!

• OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

Logged in. Character creation is nothing new. Then the dreaded cinematics of 'you are the hero' guff. After this the game went from bad to worse. The area is started in Old Guildania was just running from quest to quest in a heavily instanced home area.  Badly designed cities made it all  repetitive and confusing. After an hour i was dying of boredom. Even age of conan was more interesting. 

Everyone looks like clones of each other. SWTOR deja vu!!!! 

I have a high end system and wasn't amazed by the graphics even on high detail. To make matters worse the day/night cycles are so short like an hour .  And i hate playing a game in such short cycles. Nighttime just feels so bland. 

The map is dreadful so don't rely on it. The music score was plain awful. Was like being a a folk festival where you hate the singer. Like a bad version of LOTRO.

All in all ill give it 6 months before it crashes. Lucky i got my pre-order refunded. Another hype turkey bites the dust. Meh

it is a THEMEPARK mmo what did you expect?

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147
     Decided on a career change. As the masses are so easily pleased then its time to produce a hype turkey. Ill make millions 

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

@OP:

You had problems with the map after actually trying to understand it?  I'll admit it took me a bit to figure it out, but once you get how there are multiple entrances to each area it's really....really easy to figure out.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Am so glad the fanboys are frothing at the mouth. Only people with Low IQ's can come to such conclusions that opinions equate to trolls. Lol

Whilst I merely shrugged at the opinions made and shuddered when I once again realized that the reviewer in question only played for 30 minutes... I just have to say that this thread turned into a fairly disappointing one after reading the above.

People have different definitions of what a troll is.  Though at it's heart, it's someone who has some kind've ignorant / arrogant complex who enjoy seeing others "frothing" at the mouth for no apparent reason whilst then insinuating they are more intelligent.

In addition to that, you can add different levels of trolling as I see it (which is by no means all-encompassing): 

- Those who judge a book by it's cover (people who judge a game or features that aren't due out for some time)

- Those who play 30 minutes before deciding to bequeath their opinions, which they articulate in forms of being absolutes (I.E. it is, it will, this will crash and burn, the music of the game is awful despite me never getting out of town, etc.).

- Make assumptions based on one example without taking anything else into account (which falls into just playing for 30 minutes and making claims to music / graphics / story / etc.)

- Compares it to another game without ample experience of the aforementioned original game hitherto.

And let's not forget something exclusive to this situation that I originally questioned if I should point out (but feel compelled to do so to make a point).

- Having a sort of dramatic irony in that they may claim others have low IQs (which tends to be a belligerent assertion that reeks of folly in itself) when they can't even comprehend how to get out of a city within a game.  I would understand someone getting lost in a new city, but even mice find their way out of mazes to get to the cheese.

Then you have opinions that, while being just that, are meant to exist solely to try and aggravate others as nothing of substantial worth is backing such claims.  There is in fact such a thing as educated opinions, which are formed through experience and ample research with the item in question.  These aren't really trolls, but rather they just think they have something of value to say for whatever reason.  It's quite like being a member of a book club for 10 years, and then trying to give a review on a book you only read the title and first paragraph while thinking you are correct because you're such an adept reader.  Yet the people who actually read the whole way through -- or even just to the last chapters -- look at you funny and question your character.  Though according to the quote above, these people just must have low IQs because they question the character of someone who admits to only playing 30 minutes and never leaving a city.

Pray tell if any of the above relate to this thread?

Have you perhaps ever chastised a reviewer for putting out a review 30 minutes after a game is released -- especially when a MMO -- in saying that more time is needed to adequately play the game and give it a fair chance and balanced review (assuming it is known that no new early copy was given)?

While the term "troll" may be overused, they (those you have implied to be less intelligent) are still questioning the character of someone who does this.  You likely do not know who they are or have read any of their scholastic works to determine their level of education.  Therefore, I could conclude that you simply let your hands do your talking without giving it much thought when you began talking about another's IQ.  The human nature of always thinking what one knows within their own world to be correct, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  In this situation, the case was so weak that simply saying 30 minutes is not ample time to pass judgment on most things casts the shadow of doubt.

The burden of evidence lies with the writer.  Balanced reviews are not so easy to write, and absolutes tend to be dangerous when used in such.  Now, if you were to (and I'm saying that you should as that's up to you), in my opinion, change the wording of your writing (the implementation of ample articulation) so that such things do not exist and then note that this is a first impression... Then I'm sure you will get a lot of support.  Many believe the start of the game is fairly weak.  But so is (in my opinion) a review that is based off of such shallow experiences.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Distopia

Meh I didn't think it was so bad.

I've played many MMO's I know what I'm talking about :), I said that right, Right?

If you enjoy running around a highly confusing instanced town for hours on end reading a barrage of meaningless text then this game is for you. And if you eventually find the exit then I hope the experience gets better. I doubt it. Meh

Meh the tutorial area isn't all that long, but I think it's clear you didn't get through it.

He said he didn't even get out of the city, he's obviously trolling.

It may be that he is, but I'm guilty of logging into a game and looking at it for 10 minutes and logging off saying it sucked. I think we've all had that happen. I did it with Age of Wushu. I decided really fast is wasn't for me. But What I did not do, is go to the forums and create threads telling of how the game sucked based on my 10 minutes of exposure.

But yeah, I won't fault someone for not getting hooked right away.

Though I'm not sure if you thought so strongly that you were right, that you said everyone that questions your motives has a low IQ (still not sure how that relates to gaming).

But yes, people sadly do it all the time.  It's a trend, and I'd say with age and experience comes arrogance and a stubborn nature.  The "been there, done that" of gaming.  We some times do it without noticing.  Though thankfully many don't try and force the viewpoint on others and know that they've only played for 10 minutes.

I judged Archeage based on just a few hours of play.  Granted I only have the ability to play it for a few hours (and not the capacity to play it for days), but in that time I pretty much decided the game wasn't for me.  It probably didn't help that I only knew about half of what was going on as that was when I was still learning to read the language (friend was mostly translating for me when I visited them).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    How dare you post logic in these forums. Begone foul beast  and take your common sense with you!

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't mean to troll.. but if anyone had problems with the maps in this game they really need to.. get better at understanding maps. The maps are totally functional.. the green arrows are the exits. Whoa.. that was hard to understand.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I don't mean to troll.. but if anyone had problems with the maps in this game they really need to.. get better at understanding maps. The maps are totally functional.. the green arrows are the exits. Whoa.. that was hard to understand.

Lol.  I'll admit they're fine once you get used to them.  It has betrayed me a few times though. (like the boat in liminsa (hate the city names :P)

They're different than what people are used to but as you said very functional.  And, people have to remember this game had to take game pads into account as well.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

I used to feel the exact same way and than i realized something...

If someone has problems with the maps in this game, they probably will have problems with several other instances that require any deductive reasoning.

And if they can't overcome it and decide to quit, that means they won't end up on my server or in my party....

Thus simple tasks such as this that create these seemingly unconquerable barriers for players actually ENHANCE the rest of our gaming experiences because such individuals are rid from the community.

:)

• raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39
    If you dont know how to use map...or even after few min you still dont know whats going on...you will most probably have some tough times in realm life one day. Im sorry to say, but you have to be kinda stupid.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think the maps in this game are a bit lacking. During beta I spent 5 minutes lost because I couldn't tell the difference between subzone name and pointer to a zone transition. And I've played some games where I have to hand-draw the map myself without any trouble.

Not a big gripe, once you make the mistake once you'll learn to watch out for it.

Yaevindusk when did I say I played the game for 30mins? I ignored the rest of your pointless waffle after that. 

I think the last poster hit the nail on the head.  It was the heavily instanced zones within the starter zone that led to confusion. And confusion led to tedium. But still the map wasn't great. All in all though a dreadful experience. I'd rather watch paint dry on the walls than be a delivery boy for an hour. 

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180
    I'm really, really, enjoying this game! Each to their own! But don't call a game bad when you personally don't like it.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Logged in. Character creation is nothing new. Then the dreaded cinematics of 'you are the hero' guff. After this the game went from bad to worse. The area is started in Old Guildania was just running from quest to quest in a heavily instanced home area.  Badly designed cities made it all  repetitive and confusing. After an hour i was dying of boredom. Even age of conan was more interesting. 

Everyone looks like clones of each other. SWTOR deja vu!!!! 

I have a high end system and wasn't amazed by the graphics even on high detail. To make matters worse the day/night cycles are so short like an hour .  And i hate playing a game in such short cycles. Nighttime just feels so bland. 

The map is dreadful so don't rely on it. The music score was plain awful. Was like being a a folk festival where you hate the singer. Like a bad version of LOTRO.

All in all ill give it 6 months before it crashes. Lucky i got my pre-order refunded. Another hype turkey bites the dust. Meh

Now that your opinion is out of the way, that means there will be one less person waiting in queue to get on the servers.  every single one of which is full.  I'm sure you'll have fun in whatever sandbox-next-gen-mygameisbetterthanyours game that you will play next!  Have fun!

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by Legendtrigger
    Originally posted by Vutar
    The first few hours of the game are no doubt awful. If you can manage to keep from putting a screwdriver through your eye for entertainment value and instead continue on, it gets a little better.

I didn't even make it out of the city. For a start there was no obvious exit

[mod edit]

There are like 4 or 5 exits in Gridania at least.. where did you start? Did you try the map?

Read my last post and all will be revealed. Hey presto

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Tried the game in beta and i knew then we wouldn't become friends, It was just the same old stuff that you see in 30 other Themeparks.

The biggest gripe i had was the actual combat, it's damn awful, it's so slow i couldn't believe my eyes and the damn sound when you spam a button (you can't turn that shit off) was the last drop, i didn't bother leveling past lvl 12.

I also didn't warm to the story, it was just too cheesy for me.

• arklaedarklaed Member UncommonPosts: 1

What the fuck? XD

Go home man, you're drunk.

Originally posted by arklaed

What the fuck? XD

[mod edit]. Did you actually enjoy the music. It got highly irritating after awhile. People might bash WOW but the musical score in each zone were masterpieces. And they weren't in a loop either.  They came on at the right moment. 

That heavily instanced starter area in FFxiv together with horrible music is my worst nightmare. Thank The Lord it's off my system. Meh

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

You know I really loathe the GCD mechanic.

It sucks.  It forces you to choose the best skill to use, and often its the only cooldown, meaning its a waste of a GCD to use some skills.  Its 100% the lazy way out instead of balancing unique cooldowns on skill based on their combat value.

Yeah weak spammy skills have a short cool down...they suck...but they have no cooldown, making it worth while to slip them in between good attacks.  With a GCD this aspect is wrecked completely.

I really do have to ask though....is this game in its latest incarnation really THAT bad?

I was given a second chance on this game, able to cancel out of the preorder/early access/inability to deliver activation code mess...so im no longer preorderd, but still strangely interested in the actual game when this whole mess blows over.

Is it really that bad?  Or should I just forget about this game and move on while I can.

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234

I played through the beta phases, I pre-ordered it. For 18€ at GMG I din't think twice. I'll use the 1st month to decide if I'll mantain a subscription or not. I'm all for subscription MMO, but I'm still not sure about this one. Here are my thoughts:

- The game is fun. Not to frantic but it's enjoyable.

- I like the old  school feel and the slow pace.

- It's not heavy on quest hubs - you can only do the story quests and go freely to the zones you wish and get the quests you want to do.

- I love the crafting and the armoury system.

- I think you have to be a Final Fantasy and Anime art style fan. I can't say I'm really one, that's why I have my doubts about the game.

- I'm almost level 20, Arcanist, and I'm enjoying so far.

- The world is beautiful, big, not seamless but the areas are quite huge.

- The weather effects are great.

- I'll hope they patch it for DX11 soon.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by arklaed

What the fuck? XD

Quite sober actually young peon. Did you actually enjoy the music. It got highly irritating after awhile. People might bash WOW but the musical score in each zone were masterpieces. And they weren't in a loop either.  They came on at the right moment. 

That heavily instanced starter area in FFxiv together with horrible music is my worst nightmare. Thank The Lord it's off my system. Meh

The WoW music scores were plain and generic, same as most mmos and fantasy RPG's, nothing special (and FYI, yes, much of the background zone music is on a loop in many cases, spent many hours crafting and could almost predict when the next round was going to start), however the music in the starter zone of FF is a bit off-putting I agree.

Thing is, abandoning this game without even clearing the starter zone and then bashing the game as a whole is a bit daft and I hope anyone reading this understande the context of this threads complaint.

Fair enough, first impressions are important, but most MMO's (almost all) have pretty tragic and/or basic intro zones and MMO gamers know better than to judge any MMO based solely on the starter area.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Tried the game in beta and i knew then we wouldn't become friends, It was just the same old stuff that you see in 30 other Themeparks.

The biggest gripe i had was the actual combat, it's damn awful, it's so slow i couldn't believe my eyes and the damn sound when you spam a button (you can't turn that shit off) was the last drop, i didn't bother leveling past lvl 12.

I also didn't warm to the story, it was just too cheesy for me.

I do not understand how people can say the combat is so slow of we dont even know yet how fast we will be able to make it.

Does it start slow? Yes it does even tho with all the movement you have to do in order to get your attacks out from the right side it doesnt even feel that slow (in my opinion) however who knows how low we will be able to get the GC.

Thats actually one of the things i like very much the fact that the combat for my higher lvl jobs will feel different than the combat for the low lvl jobs.It gives me a feel of progression.

I wonder how people can have a problem with the map it shows everything in my opinion even too much i would like for the quest locations to not show up.

How could you not be able to navigate using the map? Did you ever read a real map? Can you read at all?

The last thing is the long intro with boring quests well i agree its long and boring but i dont blame SE for it i blame the players.

In FF14 1.0 we had no hand holding and holy cow was the whining loud on the servers with players (most of them thinking of themself as elite) not knowing what to do they didnt even know how to open the map....so SE had to react they had to make the intro long and tedious so that all the players who can not even open  map get the help they need....well joke is on SE isnt it?

Now players can open the map but still lack the ability to read it lol