Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is boycotting because of subscription + cash shop on top of a box purchase?

Comments

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

It all depends on what they sell in the cash shop. If they sell pay 2 win stuff int he cash shop Im sure a lot of people will boycott. Myself included. 

Financially strapped people will definitely not enjoy this. But even people with cash dont always appreciate cash shop p2 win items. There is literally no skill involved. Just spend more time at work and spend that extra cash in game and BOOM! You're uber now? I hate that.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    In theory I have no issue with cash shop or similar setups.

I.e selling cosmetic bullshit, odd services like character transfers and the like, but in practice every company detracts from the game itself to nickle and dime for basic things, essentially cutting content from the game itself and trying to sell it on the side, but not as in addition to. Look out how all the DLC shit turned out. A brand new game has "30$" in DLC before it's even released, what the fuck?
  • SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

The payment model does not bother me. What does bother me is that it looks like there will be no actual pvp other than center of the map siege warfare which is not really pvp to me. I am also certain a center of the map zerg will effect spec selection. That lack of danger in the game world and only avenue for fun is to group up with randoms to kill scripted monsters, is one of the things that made GW2  boring in the first place. If they go this route then I dont think you will have to worry about a boycott since no game can thrive  on casual pve and aesthetics alone. 

I dont know why these new crop of games have it in their mind that sectioning players away from each other in a totally sterile environment is going to lead to anything other than total boredom and detachment from the game. 

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Without all the facts, what is the point of this thread? Do we even know what is in the cash shop? Is it just services and a few cosmetics like WoW? Seriously people, this thread is useless. Lets rile up the mob without all the facts. I wonder if this is how the witch trials started in Salem....... 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Betakodo

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs?

No I dont remember that, I do remember the.. first.. ish cash shop selling fluff that wouldnt have entered the game otherwise.

I wont boycot this game, its still undecided if I want to play this but it wont be because a sub nor a cashshop

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    LOL! Boycott.....wait, you were serious?
  • KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    Ah, cash shop. Typical pay2win game.

Yeah, I think I will pass.

Keep on rockin'!image

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

50 peeps working with the game.

10 peeps working with the cash shop.

these 10 peeps still gets paid from my sub fee.

these 10 should be working with the game.

So ,give me server without cash shop "funny stuff" and lower its sub to 7.99 / month.

+ name/race/class changes just supports scammers mostly and server swapping is mostly for winner team joiners/scammers ,i dont need those "services"  either.And from RP point of view these things doesnt even exist.

++ i promise i wont be jealous to those who play on elite/gold membership servers with all these expensive "goodies" turned on.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Im boycotting the game simply because its NOT Elder Scrolls. Its MMO mechanics with an ES skin, with no adherence to Lore Standards or customer expectations.

This game is a fiduciary blunder!

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

Im boycotting the game simply because its NOT Elder Scrolls. Its MMO mechanics with an ES skin, with no adherence to Lore Standards or customer expectations.

really...

obviously you missed some stuff, its an elder scrolls game with MMO areas added to it...  everyone that played it says it feels and plays like an elder scrolls game, no reason not to beleive them.

The only ones hurting from boycotting a game are in general those people not playing a good game...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I guess I am. I might still have tried out the game despite being very skeptical about whether I'd enjoy it for more than a month or 2 if it had been B2P or F2P. With the current pricing model, I'll pass and wait for the inevitable freemium conversion within a year of launch.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I am going to give it a shot. I try most MMO's  because if I  enjoy the game play I don't really care about the pricing structure to much. Its more about the fun factor for me.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Probably about as many as who boycotted WoW which does the same exact thing.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Just do not play at launch. 6 months to a year down the road they will be so desperate for players you will be able to download and play it for free.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

The sub+cash shop+box purchase does annoy me a little, but it depends on what they have in the cash shop, to be honest.  I never thought WoW was over-reaching with the service-focused cash shop they had back when I played (they didn't have mounts and stuff in the cash shop back then).

At the end of the day, when I play a game with a sub, which is my preference, I want to know that EVERYTHING in the game is available to me.  Putting things into a Cash Shop that the only way to get is through the Cash Shop (or through a ridiculous amount of time) pisses me off when I am already paying a sub.

I'm not necessarily boycotting ESO though.  It is a "wait and see" thing for me.  Until I see what is in the cash shop, I can't say either way.   

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

This argument is very similar to the "power leveling" argument: a person has uber gear that defines them as someone who has learned to play their character, has played a lot, and has been successful. A person who has reached a high level did it the hard way, playing the game and leveling.

Being able to buy uber gear in a cash shop utterly ruins this. Being a high level character means nothing if you were power-leveled by some other player.

But we used to use the player's level and gear level as a way to judge whether we wanted them in the group, or not.

Being an Elder Scrolls fan, and since the game plays like an ES game, I'll definitely buy it. If they have a cash shop that ruins the economy and the game, then that will detract from the game, and I would be unlikely to pay a sub.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Remember when subscription fees meant everything was in game and there were cash shop money grabs? Remember when the first free to play game came out that was supported not by a subscription, but cash shop items? Cash shop items are supposed to be an alternate to the subscription model, but now they're going for the full money grab? What is this, Korea? It was stupid enough when world of warcraft did it, and people still defended the game and their money grab.

I was interested in the game, but on principle - will not buy it if they're going to do this. I play MMO's so I can work my way up to the cool looking stuffs. But if they're going to take the cool looking items out of the game and make me pay like $7 bucks for a "Fun" item, yeah not going to happen. I was just wondering how many people are giving this game a pass due to this.

I aven't done a lot of research on the topic, but I have heard it's going to be things like service charges. Name changes, transfers and that type of thing. Again, just what I heard. If there are no ingame purchases, it will be like the Cash Shop Rift initiated prior to the expansion. It was no big deal, they just moved their web based offerings to the ingame shop.

If that's all it is, I am OK with it. As long as that's all it remains. But it does raise the question. "What does it mean for the future?"

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I am boycotting all P2P MMOes because it does not benefit gamers at all.

These MMOes make you pay $60 so you can test it for 30 days to determine whether you like it or not.

If you like it then you might rent it $15 monthly.

P2P concept are just not pro to gamers.

It is just a waste of money, time and hardwork for a game that you do not own at all.  

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• 9Prejudice9Prejudice Member Posts: 30
    I was looking forward to playing ESO but now I'm no longer considering playing it. I don't think I'll have enough time to play it for the subscription to be worth it.
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Tygranir

I am boycotting because the game looks bad.

Customers will always pay what a product is worth. Sometimes more.

yep
  • JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

really...

obviously you missed some stuff, its an elder scrolls game with MMO areas added to it...  EVERYONE that played it says it feels and plays like an elder scrolls game, no reason not to beleive them.

The only ones hurting from boycotting a game are in general those people not playing a good game...

Yes. Every single person who has experianced the game up to this point has had nothing but rave reviews, bordering on zealous tones of an MMO second coming. Im sure there wasnt one single review out there that said otherwise, im sure not one fan of THOUSANDS who have played has had something negative to say about how the IP has been treated or how close it is mechanically to any other ES game.

Im not saying your wrong, im saying you have to look objectively at what you just posted and try to find a way to convince me you dont sound bias as hell when it comes to this game. 

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    Shut up.  Don't buy the game.

Oh man, did I somehow make you mad? You should have read the thread though, I'm boycotting the game. Meaning I'm not buying the game.

Anywho, I just made the thread to gauge how sick people were of adding a cash shop to a sub game is while it is still rare in the US. So far it seems like only WoW and Aion tried it along with ESO. Just was hoping that if they got enough flack they would pull back from the money grab, if not I have other games to play.

While I tend to understand your sentiment, many more games than WoW and Aion did this.  Champions online, Star Trek Online, and the secret world all launched with box + sub + cash shop.  Over time, Everquest 2, Everquest, Vanguard, EvE, and others added a cash shop on top of the box price and sub (even before Everquest, EQ2 and Vanguard became f2p).

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by xmenty

I am boycotting all P2P MMOes because it does not benefit gamers at all.

These MMOes make you pay $60 so you can test it for 30 days to determine whether you like it or not.

If you like it then you might rent it $15 monthly.

P2P concept are just not pro to gamers.

It is just a waste of money, time and hardwork for a game that you do not own at all.  

I've always been a very loud opinionated opponent of the F2P business model. 

As someone with a large amount of disposable income,  a compulsive disorder, and a gambling addiction I have always felt as if the business model is unjustly targeted towards people like me that have real issues not spending.

As a result of F2P and Kickstarter and other things like those models I've gone from a controlled amount of gaming spending to a very destructive and uncontrolled amount.

Even with self placed spending limits on my credit cards to try and help me control my spending I can sill manage to sit down on an item mall and spend $ 500 on those stupid random boxes trying to get some rare item I really want.

Then I run into these players who chant F2P F2P F2P over and over demanding a F2P game model, then they end up subscribing anyway because it gives them the cheapest way to get all the content unlocks they need to enjoy the game.

The other F2P gamers I encounter are the rude, hateful gamers that have invested nothing into the game so have nothing to lose if they get their accounts banned, they act like they own the world and the rest of us should be down on our knees kissing their feet for the privilege of paying their way for them.

Personally playing $60 $70 even $200 upfront to avoid F2P gamers is well worth it to me, only problem is that I spend $200 upfront being promised a B2P business model and 6 months to a year down the road they turn around and make my game I paid for F2P anyway.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    My interest increased slightly when they announced that it would be a sub based game with box purchase. While not necessarily a boycott, my interest has dropped completely to ZERO with the announcement of a cash shop.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    The game sounds interesting, but I am not planning to play ESO with this payment model. Imo companies can ask anything they want for their products, just shouldn't expect me to also buy it. In this case I think it is overpriced with its combination of box+sub+items in cash shop. If someone else wants to pay that, it is their call ofc. 
This discussion has been closed.